Hacking USB Loader GX

• Thread starter cyrex
  • Start date
  • Views 7,163,290
  • Replies 29,357
  • Likes 47
D

Deleted User

Hey @Cyan , this has been bugging me for a while.
Could you change the patch option 'Wiimmfi.de' to 'Wiimmfi'? It makes a lot more sense.
--Poke

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah ok :P
sorry for misunderstanding.

The banner filename shouldn't be the issue, as the created filename only contains the GameID, not the game's title. Same for the downloaded covers from gametdb.
Yeah, I just checked GameTDB and they were all already named properly. It was a long shot. I don't use covers or banners, just the embedded banners.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
yes, perfect...to fragment your drive like crazy and slow down readings :ph34r:
WBM is a wonderful piece of software, BUT it doesn't use preallocation in order to write file(s). Even on a new HDD, even with one game, WBM will fragment the file !

WBM users should defragment their drive after every write...

WIT is the best, and will remain (because WBM is not updated anymore, sadly). A little command-line and you're ready to go :

Code:
wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --progress %1 -E$ --dest "x:\wbfs\$N [$I].$E"
(where x is the drive letter of the games partition)

And some drag n' drop batch I wrote :

Code:
@ECHO OFF
ECHO WBFS games partition ?
SET PATH=%~dp0
SET /p letter="Letter: "
IF NOT EXIST %letter%:\wbfs\NUL CALL :error

if [%1]==[] GOTO :eof

:loop
start/w wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --progress %1 -E$ --dest "%letter%:\wbfs\$N [$I].$E"
shift
if not [%1]==[] GOTO loop

GOTO :eof

:error
CLS
ECHO No "wbfs" folder on %lettre%:
ECHO I'm gonna make it for you.
MKDIR %letter%:\wbfs
goto :EOF
Alright you got my attention :)
I'm interested in trying it your way, but TBH, not if it invloves a WHOLE LOT of extra steps to acomplish more or less what WBM already does.
So if I understood correctly, I just get WIT, copy your batch file, and drop isos onto it. correct?
Couple of questions:
- Can it manage multiple isos at once (set it and forget it)?
- How does it rename files? name[*code*]? Or just the code?
- Does it automatically split files for fat32?
- Does it remove the update partition?
- How about SHA-1 Verification? Can it do it? and how?
That would basically be it. If it does those things then yeah, I might consider switching cause WBM does have a couple of bugs that bother me. Beside,s even though one could defrag the drive defragging puts more wear and tear to the drive so it would indeed be helpful (even though TBH I've never noticed any performance issue with fragmented drives)
Thanks. And thanks in advance if you do take the time to answer my questions.[/code]

Last edited by sideskroll,

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
So I've had a little problem with my HDD that I use on my Wii.

It's formatted with FAT32 and taking forever to load up, like five minutes when I put it back on my computer.

Even repairing the file system didn't help the next time I put it back on my computer.

Should I reformat it to NTFS?

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@sideskroll

- my batch will convert all ISOs you drop in it, and you can drop multiple ISOs files at once (games will be converted one by one, automatically).

- the naming convention (I like) will be : all games directly in the wbfs folder, each game named "Title Name [Title ID].wbfs" (example : Just Dance 2016 [SJNP41].wbfs). It corresponds to "$N [$I].$E" in the batch.

- this batch is meant to be used with an NTFS partition (I don't like splitted games :P). For FAT32 partition, you should just add "--split" in the line :

Code:
start/w wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --split --progress %1 -E$ --dest "%letter%:\wbfs\$N [$I].$E"

a new option, auto-splitting, was added in the latest builds, but is EXPERIMENTAL...don't know if it's a good idea to use it ;)
http://wit.wiimm.de/info/iso-images.html#split

- it keeps ONLY the game partition.

- If you're talking about SHA1 verification before conversion directly from WIT, I never used it, but it seems possible : http://wit.wiimm.de/wit/cmd-verify.html
it does not use any database, and may be really slow :

Every 1024 bytes of user data in every Wii partition has its own SHA1 checksum (called 'H0'). There are also H1 (hash of 31*H0), H2 (hash of 8*H1), H3 (hash of 8*H2) and for the whole partition one H4 (hash of all H3) checksums. To validate a partition it is enought to calculate the checksums and compare them with the stored sums.

my batch does not use that feature...and it should be faster to check the SHA1 of the whole ISO before conversion (with Summer Properties and an online database like GameTDB)

ps : this batch was translated in english (I'm french). I saw a little mistake in a variable name ("%lettre%" should be "%letter%" in the error message at the end of the batch No "wbfs" folder on %lettre%:). The batch should be (with splitting ON, to be "FAT32 friendly":

Code:
@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=%~dp0

start/w wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --split --progress %1 -E$ --dest "%letter%:\wbfs\$N [$I].$E"
shift

CLS
ECHO No "wbfs" folder on %letter%:

note : latest WIT builds do not really need "--preallocation" (it's used by default, which is great) but it needs a lot more DLLs than before (which is really bad ! I don't like this mess)...So I let "--preallocation" on my batch because I'm using WIT 2.24a (it doesn't use preallocation by default...but it only needs cygwin1.dll :) )

Last edited by Badablek,
Reactions: sideskroll

Chris10237

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several months ago when I last used the USB Loader GX, it loaded and I could play my game properly. Now, with no new changes, it properly loads but my game list doesn't show up. I checked the USB on my CPU and it is still WBFS and has the game on it, and the Wii says I have 1.56 GB of 1.88 GB free, which is probably the space the game takes up. But it just isn't showing up. What can I do to fix this?

Revenged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have the following problems:

vWii: Returning from a game causes a black screen freeze. Unknown whether the problem below also occurs in vWii.

Wii: Saving works erratically in WiiWare: some games work, but some (FFIV for example) errors with "no space to create save file". Some games (Crystal Chronicles for example) freeze when trying to save. EmuChannel is set to NEEK, EmuSaves is NONE but the same problem occurs with PARTIAL and FULL.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
@sideskroll

- my batch will convert all ISOs you drop in it, and you can drop multiple ISOs files at once (games will be converted one by one, automatically).

- the naming convention (I like) will be : all games directly in the wbfs folder, each game named "Title Name [Title ID].wbfs" (example : Just Dance 2016 [SJNP41].wbfs). It corresponds to "$N [$I].$E" in the batch.

- this batch is meant to be used with an NTFS partition (I don't like splitted games :P). For FAT32 partition, you should just add "--split" in the line :

Code:

a new option, auto-splitting, was added in the latest builds, but is EXPERIMENTAL...don't know if it's a good idea to use it ;)
http://wit.wiimm.de/info/iso-images.html#split

- it keeps ONLY the game partition.

- If you're talking about SHA1 verification before conversion directly from WIT, I never used it, but it seems possible : http://wit.wiimm.de/wit/cmd-verify.html
it does not use any database, and may be really slow :

my batch does not use that feature...and it should be faster to check the SHA1 of the whole ISO before conversion (with Summer Properties and an online database like GameTDB)

ps : this batch was translated in english (I'm french). I saw a little mistake in a variable name ("%lettre%" should be "%letter%" in the error message at the end of the batch No "wbfs" folder on %lettre%:). The batch should be (with splitting ON, to be "FAT32 friendly":

Code:
@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=%~dp0

shift

CLS
ECHO No "wbfs" folder on %letter%:

note : latest WIT builds do not really need "--preallocation" (it's used by default, which is great) but it needs a lot more DLLs than before (which is really bad ! I don't like this mess)...So I let "--preallocation" on my batch because I'm using WIT 2.24a (it doesn't use preallocation by default...but it only needs cygwin1.dll :) )
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate it.
Let me bother you with 2 more questions:
- You say it ONLY copies the game partition, what about Smash Bros? I think removing partitions on that game messes with it. Like for instance the emulators included on it or something like that?
- If I wanted to have the same folder distribution as WBM, the code should be like this:
Code:
start/w wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --split --progress %1 -E$ --dest "%letter%:\wbfs\$N [$I]\$I.$E"
Correct? That would make it so that inside the wbfs folder there are individual folders for each game and inside those the game itself only with the Title ID as name? Or did I do something wrong there?
Thanks again.
PS: Would you mind sharing your 2.24a version? It isn't hosted on the website anymore (either that or I somehow missed it...)

Last edited by sideskroll,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Revenged On your vWii is your drive hidden with uStealth? If so, try unhidding your drive and try again. If that fixed your issue than I can help you to get it to work with a hidden drive.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several months ago when I last used the USB Loader GX, it loaded and I could play my game properly. Now, with no new changes, it properly loads but my game list doesn't show up. I checked the USB on my CPU and it is still WBFS and has the game on it, and the Wii says I have 1.56 GB of 1.88 GB free, which is probably the space the game takes up. But it just isn't showing up. What can I do to fix this?

Check and make sure the category didn't get turned off. It's the toolbar icon that looks like a filing cabinet.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I've had a little problem with my HDD that I use on my Wii.

It's formatted with FAT32 and taking forever to load up, like five minutes when I put it back on my computer.

Even repairing the file system didn't help the next time I put it back on my computer.

Should I reformat it to NTFS?

Have you make sure the drive isn't failing? HDTune 2.55 is still free and can both read the SMART data from the drive and do a manual error scan. FAT32 is your best bet for Wii backups.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ImageDownloader.cpp:r1259 @ line 147
Code:
if((Settings.LoaderMode & MODE_GCGAMES) && strcmp(fileExt, ".nbr") == 0)
{
    short LoaderModeBackup = Settings.LoaderMode;
    Settings.LoaderMode = MODE_GCGAMES; // Limit banner download for GameCube Only.
    GetMissingGameFiles(writepath, fileExt, MissingFilesList);
    Settings.LoaderMode = LoaderModeBackup;
}

Shouldn't that ".bnr" rather than ".nbr"?

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I appreciate it.
Let me bother you with 2 more questions:
- You say it ONLY copies the game partition, what about Smash Bros? I think removing partitions on that game messes with it. Like for instance the emulators included on it or something like that?
- If I wanted to have the same folder distribution as WBM, the code should be like this:
Code:
start/w wit CP --wbfs --prealloc --split --progress %1 -E$ --dest "%letter%:\wbfs\$N [$I]\$I.$E"
Correct? That would make it so that inside the wbfs folder there are individual folders for each game and inside those the game itself only with the Title ID as name? Or did I do something wrong there?
Thanks again.
PS: Would you mind sharing your 2.24a version? It isn't hosted on the website anymore (either that or I somehow missed it...)

- I'm not a Smash bros. player/fan, but I never heard that this game was problematic without its update partition. The only "problem" I know is that it's a DVD9 game, which can be tricky to play with old drives (loaders do not care about that :P)

- you're absolutely right with your own batch, this will work perfectly like you want (WIT is easy to use, isn't it ? ^___^).
Code:

- untouched WIT 2.24a : https://mega.nz/#!DVM0ET7I!qYu7QQ_w8jovX-7CwF4whtRJ34J6khEFQQKk9rxCt7Y
(you only need wit.exe and cygwin1.dll)

ps : using this old build is better IMHO because I don't like tools that need too much DLL (too messy)...but it's my own opinion ;)
you can also use the latest builds if you wish.

Reactions: sideskroll

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Revenged On your vWii is your drive hidden with uStealth? If so, try unhidding your drive and try again. If that fixed your issue than I can help you to get it to work with a hidden drive.
if he uses the forwarder on vWii, Ustealth is not an issue.
the forwarder read the partition table without checking the MBR signature.

badablek:
For SSB, it's not the update partition which is needed, but the "Other" partitions. the one storing the Virtual Console demo.
But that's only an issue if the user tries to launch them from SSB menus.

If they are not dumping all the partitions (users often set the dumper to "keep only game partition" instead of "remove update partition") then the Sha1 verification will fail because it's missing data.
I think that game has 3 partition tables, and 8 partitions? (or something like that)

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if he uses the forwarder on vWii, Ustealth is not an issue.
the forwarder read the partition table without checking the MBR signature.

Ah ok. I just remember a while back I was having problems with some of my emunand games and it was uStealth that was the issue. Just thought it was worth a shot to see if unhidding the drive would fix his problem too.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about testing the banner downloads. Just haven't had time. I'll try to have the tests done for you by this weekend.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't worry. Didn't have time either
I said I'd release 1260 this week but I didn't. (well ... I played PS4 on my holidays instead)

I may have other things to try to fix network issue, but I'll wait for your banner test, if it's a specific banner it will be easier for me to test too.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't worry. Didn't have time either
I said I'd release 1260 this week but I didn't. (well ... I played PS4 on my holidays instead)

I may have other things to try to fix network issue, but I'll wait for your banner test, if it's a specific banner it will be easier for me to test too.

Did you see my post about the ImageDownloader class? :)

Revenged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I double-checked with UStealth and it was not hidden. Also, Wii U Menu nags me to format every time so that confirms it.

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
- I'm not a Smash bros. player/fan, but I never heard that this game was problematic without its update partition. The only "problem" I know is that it's a DVD9 game, which can be tricky to play with old drives (loaders do not care about that :P)

- you're absolutely right with your own batch, this will work perfectly like you want (WIT is easy to use, isn't it ? ^___^).
Code:

- untouched WIT 2.24a : https://mega.nz/#!DVM0ET7I!qYu7QQ_w8jovX-7CwF4whtRJ34J6khEFQQKk9rxCt7Y
(you only need wit.exe and cygwin1.dll)

ps : using this old build is better IMHO because I don't like tools that need too much DLL (too messy)...but it's my own opinion ;)
you can also use the latest builds if you wish.
Thank you for your help and for the files.
Do you happen to know the command for removing ONLY the update partition? Is there one, or is it something like "all or nothing"?

badablek:
For SSB, it's not the update partition which is needed, but the "Other" partitions. the one storing the Virtual Console demo.
But that's only an issue if the user tries to launch them from SSB menus.

If they are not dumping all the partitions (users often set the dumper to "keep only game partition" instead of "remove update partition") then the Sha1 verification will fail because it's missing data.
I think that game has 3 partition tables, and 8 partitions? (or something like that)
And thank you for confirming the issue and pinpointing to the specific partition.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you see my post about the ImageDownloader class? :)
hum... yes it should be .bnr
that's strange that it worked as expected until now :P (or I should say it never worked and I never noticed)
Thank you for this report! I fixed the spelling mistake, maybe it will (magically) fix the download issue too.
But I'll need Clutz to test the banner download and confirm if it's any banners or a specific one which triggers the network freeze ... with SSL only.
(why is the bug not happening without SSL?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple