Hacking USB Loader GX (vWii) stopped working

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Cyan! This guide: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=49000&s=d489367aad73dace9c22df962f4623ee

says to install
  • IOS56-64-v5918.wad
  • IOS57-64-v6175.wad
  • IOS58-64-v6432.wad
to the WiiU which is confusing, but I definitely trust you and will not install them! Now I need two USB support if I want to plug in a Gamecube controller via the adapter, right? Or does it just mean two USB support on the BACK of the console? Also the GBATemp guide said to use Beta53alt; and said only use 52 if you planned on using EmuNAND. Since I don't even know what EmuNAND is, I installed what he said!

Should I install beta52 instead right now?
Also, is there something special I have to install if I want to run Wii Ware WADs from USB Loader GX?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This guide is outdated.

We have two up to date guides on GBAtemp, they provide choices to users and explain it correctly.
I can't talk for other websites, you will of course find a lot of incomplete or wrong guides everywhere (youtube mostly :P)

The guide NEVER said to "Install" these 3 IOS to vWii!
don't do it! follow the guide correctly. it says to extract them from your vWii to your SD card.

on Wii, the installer downloads the IOS directly from nintendo servers.
But on WiiU, these IOS on nintendo servers are encrypted and can't be used directly, instead you had to extract your own IOS, and place them on the root of the SD card to be used by the OLD version of the cIOS installer. It used to patch these files located on SD and install the patched result to slot 249 etc.
Now, the installer is using the internal files directly (you don't need to extract them manually or download illegal files from random sources). it uses the one from your console, patch them and install them.

If you don't need Dual port support, I recommend you reinstall d2x v10 (beta52)
d2x-cios-installer-2.2mod_by_FIX94-v10-beta52_beta53alt-vWii.zip
Delete IOS files from your SD card if you have them. copy the installer to SD, launch it.
that's all you need.

cIOS are used by USB Loaders for Wii games.
you probably need Gamecube adapter for nintendont? Nintendont does not use cIOS at all...
installing cIOS for dual port will have no effect on Gamecube controller support.
nintendont use official unpatched IOS58.

beta53 is used for USBLoaders to play Wii games on port1 instead of port0. that's all.
having both port support for Wii game launching is really not woth losing emuNAND or HDD compatibility.

USBLoaderGX HDD issue is probably even related to that version of the cIOS.
install beta52, and tell me if you still have the HDD detection issue on Port0.

Since I don't even know what EmuNAND is, I installed what he said!
Also, is there something special I have to install if I want to run Wii Ware WADs from USB Loader GX?
That's it!
emuNAND is a way to launch WiiWare wad ;)
you install Wads to a copy of the NAND (wii memory) located on your SD or USB.
the USBLoader redirects all access from NAND to the fake NAND.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job on doing your diligence for looking for a guide to setting up your Wii U Hammyface, but stick to GBATemp for all your info. The guys here really know what they are talking about ;):yayu:

(shameless plug for GBATemp!)

Well in all fairness, the guide I linked to from here ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-guide-to-install-cios-on-vwii-backup-nand-and-keys.339890/ ) is stickied in the main GBATemp page, and it did in fact say to use Beta53, and it said to install all 3! So I don't know what to think any more. :)

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Read the guide and what Cyan said carefully! If you toke them lightly, you will easily brick your console.

7.) Choose which d2x cIOS version you want to install, beta52 or beta53-alt.
If you don´t plan to use EmuNAND, i recommend beta53-alt.
Note: For info about the differences between beta52 & beta53-alt click here.

He said he recommend beta53, but if that doesn't work for you, why insist on it. And did you click the link to see the differences?

8.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii> (Alternative: beta52)
Select cIOS base : <56>
Select cIOS slot : <249>

He told you to install on cios slot 249 with base 56, not to install IOS slot 56. Re-read what Cyan said to understand what is all these. He also mentioned alternative:beta52

Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/ and other stickies

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read the guide and what Cyan said carefully! If you toke them lightly, you will easily brick your console.

7.) Choose which d2x cIOS version you want to install, beta52 or beta53-alt.
If you don´t plan to use EmuNAND, i recommend beta53-alt.
Note: For info about the differences between beta52 & beta53-alt click here.

He said he recommend beta53, but if that doesn't work for you, why insist on it. And did you click the link to see the differences?

8.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii> (Alternative: beta52)
Select cIOS base : <56>
Select cIOS slot : <249>

He told you to install on cios slot 249 with base 56, not to install IOS slot 56. Re-read what Cyan said to understand what is all these. He also mentioned alternative:beta52

Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/basic-dos-and-do-nots-of-vwii-modding.339337/ and other stickies

Right, I apologize if I am not making sense but I am not saying that guide said to install slot 56; Cyan said it did not say to install all 3 but it did. It said 249, 250, and 251. We are probably confusing one another but this stuff is very confusing because I do remember "back in the day" installing over a billion different IOSes so I am probably just confusing the terms :)

I was not insisting on using beta53; the guide here insists on using it. However, after Cyan's recommendation, I went to beta52 and I can confirm my hard drives work perfectly and no longer freeze :)

Maybe contact the OP of that thread and let him know to not recommend beta53. I sure know that plugging in a microphone before opening American Idol Wii isn't a big deal! :)

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
different ppl will need different setup, there is nothing wrong that he recommends beta53, at least he told you the alternative and links to the differences.

As Cyan said, usbloader only use one cios at a time, but base 56, 57 and 58 have different pros and cons, and installing them won't conflict with each other. So its nothing wrong to told noobs to install all 3 either.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are not going to believe this, but my USB Loader GX is broken again. Let me explain how I got here.

After reading what Cyan said about the cIOS and Hammyface moving to beta52, I was trying to think of why I went with beta53. Maybe because it’s what the guide said to use? Maybe because I thought I would need the second USB port? I honestly couldn’t remember since I set up my vWii so long ago (initially). Thinking I wanted to play around with EmuNAND next I figured I would move over to beta52. I download the d2x-cios-installer-2.2mod by FIX94-v10-beta52_beta53alt-vWii and installed the beta52 over my beta53 cIOS (you can see my revised SysCheck on my first post). After installing I loaded USB Loader GX and dumped the NAND to EmuNAND (full). I then removed my SD card and put some WADs in the wads folder and put it back in my Wii U (keep in mind I never closed out of USB Loader GX). I put it back in, selected install WADs and it locked up my USB Loader GX (I figure it didn’t like that I removed the SD Card). I unplugged/plugged my Wii U and turned it back on and went to load USB Loader GX and it stuck at ‘initialize USB device’. Again, unplugged/plugged my Wii U and tried it again with the same result.

Figuring the change of cIOS’ might have something to do with it, I tried re-installing beta53 (base 56-slot 249) but again, my USB Loader GX would lock up at that screen (NOTE I didn’t try putting back all three to beta53).

So here I am again, right back where I started. :shit:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's not what I said.
I didn't say to not install all 3 cIOS, but to not install all 3 "IOS". The one you quoted.
says to install
  • IOS56-64-v5918.wad
  • IOS57-64-v6175.wad
  • IOS58-64-v6432.wad
Must NOT be installed.
if you read the guide on the other website, it never told you to install IOS56, IOS57 or IOS58.
It told you to extract them from your console (they are already installed).

placing these files on SD card doesn't mean that you are installing them.
the cIOS installer is using these 3 files to generate the correct custom IOS 249, 250 and 251.

All the guides are telling the users to install all 3 cIOSes, just to not be annoyed by newbies with non working games requiring a specific cIOS base.
So the guide tell the user to install the usual bases (base 56 in slot249, base57 in slot250, base58 in slot251. Other bases could be used but it's very rare).
All guide harmonized their slot/base choice so it's easier to help a user.
But you really need only one cIOS for most games and don't need all 3 cIOS installed at the same time, the USBLoaders are using only one IOS slot at a time.
If you understand what you do and know what you need, only one is enough.
If you want to play only Gamecube, no cIOS are needed at all.
it's all about your need, and your understanding. If you don't know what you need, following the guides is perfectly fine.

Now about the guide on gbatemp telling you to choose beta53 :
there's no rule as what is better.
it's the user's choice to install either:
52 : good HDD compatibility but no USB1 support
53: less compatibility, but USB1 support.

a lot of users want to use both ports, or just want to install the latest possible thing ever created ;)
but, latest =/= better.

You said you wanted to play WiiWare wad, so I suggest you install beta52.

after Cyan's recommendation, I went to beta52 and I can confirm my hard drives work perfectly and no longer freeze :)
Maybe contact the OP of that thread and let him know to not recommend beta53. I sure know that plugging in a microphone before opening American Idol Wii isn't a big deal! :)
That is a great news !
though, I know users with beta52 and HDD still freezing.
It might be related to cIOS, but I still don't know how.
I then removed my SD card and put some WADs in the wads folder and put it back in my Wii U (keep in mind I never closed out of USB Loader GX).
Really really bad practice.
Never eject/reinsert the SD card.
if it wasn't unmount correctly you can have issues. even the remount SD card button is not recommended in that case (and the warning tells you so).

Exit to HBC if you want to remove the Card or USB while it's mounted.

about your drive re-freezing at init, that's weird it happens only after you ejected a mounted device.
maybe it has something to do with the setting file? try to reset/delete the GXGlobal.cfg

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I put all three cIOS back to beta53 and my USB Loader GX works again.

Cyan, what is your recommended setup then? If I want to try out WiiWare, then I know beta52 is ideal but which base and slot do you use?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't install any cIOS on my vWii.
recommending is not simple, it depends what the user want to play.

My personal recommendation:
249 : d2x v10 (not alt) base 56 --> for everything.
250 : nothing
251 : nothing
Don't mess with things you don't need. the less you install, the less you have to care about their effect on your system.

or

249 : d2x v10 (not alt) base 57 --> for everything.
250 : nothing
more compatibility but slower read speed. Just try and see if you notice the speed, if you don't notice it or care about 50ms differences, then use this setup!

most wii games + Gamecube + all EmuNAND + dual ports (versatile setup)
249 : d2x v10-alt base 56 --> use this for every day use, 90% Wii games are working.
250 : d2x v10-alt base 57 --> install this only if you intend to play games needed base57 (Call of duty and ... call of duty ! don't install this if you don't want to play call of duty)
251 : d2x v10 (not alt) base 56 --> Dedicated for emuNAND (WiiWare/VC). If you don't play call of duty, install this in slot 250.

249 : d2x v10-alt base 56 --> use this for every day use, 90% Wii games are working.
250 : d2x v10 (not alt) base 56 --> Dedicated for emuNAND (WiiWare/VC).

All Wii games + Gamecube + all EmuNAND (ideal for Wii and EmuNAND and users without WiiU HDD)
249 : d2x v10 base 56 --> use this for every day use, 90% Wii games are working.
250 : d2x v10 base 57 --> install this only if you intend to play games needed base57 (Call of duty and ... call of duty ! don't install this if you don't want to play call of duty)
251 : d2x v10 base 58 --> install this only if you intend to play musical games or games with USB accessories.
It could be the best setup, as you can use different bases for emuNAND too.

All Wii games + Gamecube + some EmuNAND + dual ports + WiiU HDD (ideal setup for nintendont)
250 : d2x v10-alt base 57 --> install this only if you intend to play games needed base57 (Call of duty and ... call of duty ! don't install this if you don't want to play call of duty)
251 : d2x v10-alt base 58 --> install this only if you intend to play musical games or games with USB accessories.
Note1: EmuNAND WORKS on v10-alt. it's just not 100%, try and see if it's good enough for the game you want to play.
Note2:
- WiiU on port0 (top port), vWii on port1 (bottom port).
- nintendont will work great as it's mounting port1 first and don't care about wiiU hdd being connected.
- Set the USBloader to mount only Port1 and skip port0.

Unfortunately, it seems port1 on vWii is not correctly supported by cIOS.
rendering v10-alt not really useful...

Just remember that you can install an IOS over and existing one to replace it instead of adding new unused IOS in every slots.
if you don't use base57, don't keep it if you need another base, just replace it.

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, you are awesome Cyan. Lots to take in here. I think I would like to replicate your setup. I have no need for any USB Accessories (or Wii U HDD), I don't play Call of Duty, but I do want to play Wii, Game Cube and Wii Ware (EmuNand, or at least trying to).

249 : d2x v10 (not alt) base 56 --> for everything

That said, I will use d2x-cios-installer-2.2mod_by_FIX94-v10-beta52_beta53alt-vWii.zip to install Beta52 (v10) Base 56 in Slot 249

What is your recommendation for uninstall the bases from Slot 250 and 251?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's best to leave them and don't uninstall any IOS or cIOS.
some IOS are using shared files, I wouldn't want to delete a file which is usually needed by other IOSes.
I'm not sure how the wad managers are uninstalling shared content.

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough. Then I will go with this option:
All Wii games + Gamecube + all EmuNAND

I will try and delete the config file and see if it will boot my drive after reverting back to d2x v10.

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK Cyan. Thanks for all the info.

If I am hijacking this thread, let me know :)

I think I found a glitch in USB Loader GX if it is helpful. I am running some WAD files in USB Loader GX, and it seems to ignore the settings I put for 4:3 video in, for example, an N64 game.

The N64 game is all stretched out on the WiiU's gamepad, and in USB Loader GX, I told it to run the Ocarina of Time N64 wad in "force 4:3" but it still shows up as stretched 16:9.

Just thought I would give you a quick bug report now that I got my drive working again :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
aspect ratio for channels is not working (same as ocarina, and something else I forgot).
It works with wiiflow, so it's an issue with USBLoaderGX, but I didn't have time to check it yet.

Maybe I should list all known issue on my blog (Googlecode is not really reflecting the current issues)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, you don't need to exit vWii or shutdown the WiiU.

as only one IOS can be loaded at a time, when you launch a homebrew, it reloads the IOS slot (and unload the currently loaded one).
when you install the cIOS, it's using IOS58, when you exit the installer, you launch HBC which use IOS58 too.
then when you launch USBLoader, it either use IOS58 (if user chose it as default IOS) or reload to a cIOS.

If you had an issue after installing a cIOS, you should re-install it. It happen that the cIOS are not correctly patched and can break Wiimote synch, or other settings of the console when that IOS is loaded in memory by a homebrew.

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was afraid you were going to say that. So here is the order of events I took last night.

Got home, fired up my vWii and USB Loader GX; loaded without a problem. At this time my setup was such:
249 - 56 - beta53
250 - 57 - beta53
251 - 58 - beta53

I exited USB Loader GX and started down the path of installing beta52 in phases. I'll list how it went:

249 - 56 - beta52
250 - 57 - beta53
251 - 58 - beta53
USB Loader GX loaded ok

249 - 56 - beta52
250 - 57 - beta52
251 - 58 - beta53
USB Loader GX loaded ok

249 - 56 - beta52
250 - 57 - beta52
251 - 58 - beta52
USB Loader GX loaded ok

At this point I was doing the happy dance. I had beta52 loaded, USB Loader GX was working and even the EmuNand/Wii Ware stuff I wanted was loading. Awesome!

Now here is where things get weird. I went to the Update in USB Loader GX as I wanted to update the wiitdb file to update the recent Wii Ware stuff I had added. It was stuck at 'initializing network'. Seemed weird as I was sure my Wii U was configured for my wi-fi. I went to the setting in the vWii and I see there are no more settings there aside from save/channel management (again I have never played with the vWii side of my Wii U before). I exited the vWii and checked to make sure my Wii U was connecting to my wi-fi/internet and it was. I re-launched my vWii and USB Loader GX and there it was, stuck at the ‘initialize USB device’ again...again....

So this only happened after I exited the vWii side, it was booting just fine before I had exited (which makes a lot more sense why it happened to me the first time I tried loading up beta52 and I had [stupidly] ejected my SD card and had to back out of it).

At this point it was late and I was tired. I will try deleting the USB Loader GX config file tonight to see if it helps. Any other suggestions?

I can always revert back to beta53 and I'm certain it will work again. I could try this phased approach again but exiting vWii each time?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse