Hacking USB loader GX not seeing my HDD.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, the slot 249 is there.
maybe you forgot it with the copy/paste in your previous post.

You are now all good. don't try to change it.
sorry about the previous post, but i felt like you did all differently than I said so far by not seeing that slot in your previous post.

there is a new d2x version, but you don't need it (d2x v10 and v10-alternative).
v10 is the same as v8, so you don't need it.
v10-alternative is a beta, and has few issues.
so, now, all is good I guess.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, the slot 249 is there.
maybe you forgot it with the copy/paste in your previous post.

You are now all good. don't try to change it.
sorry about the previous post, but i felt like you did all differently than I said so far by not seeing that slot in your previous post.

It's possible. I have my data copied on the flash drive as well so idk if that caused a conflict or not..

Does the cIOS rev21 installer thing need to be updated then? or was that part of the package that I just installed?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, the rev21 update IS already updated : d2x is an update of rev21
that's why it's version "21 008" it's the 8th patch applied to rev21.

You can leave your slot250 like that, it will not conflict with the other installed slots.
though, just remember that your slot250 is not "common", so if one day you see someone giving suggestion to "use slot250" to fix a game, don't follow that advice.
most people are softmodding their console differently (installing a "base57" in slot 250, and using 250 in priority instead of 249).
I made you install base57 directly in the default slot, you already have the best one so you don't need to change the slot number to use it.

btw if I want to make another virtual memory card do I have to do it through nintendont? or can I somehow do it through USB loader GX? regardless the flash drive I got seems to actually be working now unlike my HDD.
The memory card used by Nintendont are generated by Nintendont itself when the game is launched. (it may take few seconds at first game launch)

the memorycard image is generated on the same partition than the ISO, in /saves/ folder.

there are two memory card emulation type :
- Multi (or ON in USBLoaderGX) : it uses a single memory card file with all games in it. it saves "multiple" games on it.
- Individual : It creates a private memory card per game. each game has its own savegame file.

I suggest using "individual" with 251 blocs. (should be the default size)
some games are not compatible with bigger cards.
using "individual" option will prevent you from having a full memory card as each game will use a new, empty, card.
if the memory card is corrupted one day, only that game will be lost, as other games are not using that file.

Advantage of Multi is that some games are "looking" for other savegames to unlock features.
for example, if SSBB see you have a savegame of Zelda twilight princess, it may unlock Zelda character in SSBB ! (that's just an example, I don't know if this example is actually true)
to do that, you need both saves on the SAME memorycard, and thus using "multi" is required.

USBLoaderGX let you choose whether to use "Multi" or "individual" on a game by game basis.
I suggest you set the global setting to individual 251. (in the loader settings)
then, for games you specifically want to use "multi" to share the same card, just select the game, go to option, game option, select "ON (multi)", and save the game setting.
for just this game, it will use a different settings than the "global settings set in the loader".

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no, the rev21 update IS already updated : d2x is an update of rev21
that's why it's version "21 008" it's the 8th patch applied to rev21.

You can leave your slot250 like that, it will not conflict with the other installed slots.
though, just remember that your slot250 is not "common", so if one day you see someone giving suggestion to "use slot250" to fix a game, don't follow that advice.
most people are softmodding their console differently (installing a "base57" in slot 250, and using 250 in priority instead of 249).
I made you install base57 directly in the default slot, you already have the best one so you don't need to change the slot number to use it.

The memory card used by Nintendont are generated by Nintendont itself.

the memorycard image is generated on the same partition than the ISO, in /saves/ folder.

there are two memory card emulation type :
- Multi (or ON in USBLoaderGX) : it uses a single memory card file with all games in it. it saves "multiple" games on it.
- Individual : It creates a private memory card per game. each game has its own savegame file.

I suggest using "individual" with 251 blocs. (should be the default size)
some games are not compatible with bigger cards.
using "individual" option will prevent you from having a full memory card as each game will use a new, empty, card.
if the memory card is corrupted one day, only that game will be lost, as other games are not using that file.

Advantage of Multi is that some games are "looking" for other savegames to unlock features.
for example, if SSBB see you have a savegame of Zelda twilight princess, it may unlock Zelda character in SSBB ! (that's just an example, I don't know if this example is actually true)
to do that, you need both saves on the SAME memorycard, and thus using "multi" is required.

USBLoaderGX let you choose whether to use "Multi" or "individual" on a game by game basis.
I suggest you set the global setting to individual 251. (in the loader settings)
then, for games you specifically want to use "multi" to share the same card, just select the game, go to option, game option, select "ON (multi)", and save the game setting.
for just this game, it will use a different settings than the "global settings set in the loader".

Hmm ok thanks. Do I need to change the memory card settings in USB loader GX as well? or just in Nintendont?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBLoaderGX is telling nintendont which settings to use.
you don't need to edit the settings in nintendont, the settings are deleted/reset/re-written everytime you launch a new game from USBLoaderGX.

only the USBLoaderGX settings are used.

to explain better :
USBLoaderGX is generating Nintendont settings, with the path to the game to launch, and then it launches nintendont.
nintendont loads the settings and "see" what it has to do from it. "launch that game? with that memory card? and these options? ok!"

if the next time you launch Nintendont from HBC, it will use the SAME settings, and it means you don't need to go to USBLoaderGX to play the same gamecube game, just launch nintendont from HBC to "do the same thing than previous launch" as it will load the existing settings.

Nintendont was first developed to be a launcher, not game selection and option interface. it was designed to be "plugged" into other USBLoader's interface for game settings and selection.
but by users demand, it became independent and got his own option and game list interface. but it's still better to use another loader's interface (if up to date, or course :P)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: kbf

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOS249[57] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0

This is what you needed and is correct now. Check in your GXGlobal.cfg file in your loader app folder and make sure both the "LoaderIOS" and "cios" settings are 249.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
he probably needs the "loader's IOS" set to 58, like a lot of users these days.
but if 249 works, then it's better and it will boot games faster. if 249 doesn't work to initialize your drive, keep 58 for that setting.

also, you don't need to edit the GXGlobal.cfg file manually on your computer, just use the loader's interface to edit the "loader's IOS" setting.
unless greywolf want you to just use 58 to "init" the drive, and use 249 while inside the loader.

there are two ways to do it :
set 58 in the loader's interface, then edit GXGlobal.cfg to set Loader's IOS to 249
OR
set 249 in the loader's interface, then edit meta.xml to set --ios=58

Doing that will use 58 to initialize the drive, then reloads to 249 right away before listing games, instead of reloading to 249 at game launch.
it can be useful sometime, if you mess with more than 2 HDD plugged at the same time and understand how the Wii is working. (which you currently don't, so don't mess with manual file editing for now, you don't need it)

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s