Hacking Usb loader gx issues

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having issues I just got my usb loader gx to read wii games finally then found out I had an obsolete version and changed the boot.dol to a more recent one after doing that everything is newer and different but it will only show my apps. No Wii or GameCube games. When I try to change the path for GameCube games all my usb shows is strange symbols and folders that aren't even there. I'm stuck I can't find anything related to this issue online and what is close is completely the opposite of my issue. How do I get my games to show no tutorials on the app tell me what paths find games. I got my games in a game folder and it works on nintendont i need to know how to set this up properly not an installation guide

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
your setup:
3.0 cIOS249 rev20
WBFS partition for wii games
second HDD for gamecube games.

What I suggested on IRC :

1. follow this guide :
(really, follow it, even if you think it's not needed, just to it anyway, don't skip a step)
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6478222

2. Format the HDD to FAT32
and use Wii Backup Manager to put game on HDD.
here is a guide to use that program correctly :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7592791

and yes, a guide was needed because a lot of people didn't understand how the program was designed, and used the wrong menus....
look at the guide, set it up accordingly.

3. you'll have to update your softmod
get the d2x cIOS installer for Wii
create a folder "d2x_installer" on your SD card:/apps/ folder
extract the package inside that folder
put the SD on the console
be sure you have network enabled
Launch d2x installer homebrew from the HBC
select this :
what : d2x v8 final
where : 249
base : 57
version : 21008
press A and A again to launch the install process. after install press A to go back to main screen and Home to exit to HBC.

Done.

you better not use 2 HDD at the same time. it creates issues, and you are not ready for that.
so, if you want to switch HDD, that's fine, but NEVER do it while inside the loader.
remember, only USB Port 0 is working with USBLoader (the one near the edge of the console)

Nintendont mount the first HDD it finds, it looks at USB Port 1 first, then port 0.

When I try to change the path for GameCube games all my usb shows is strange symbols and folders that aren't even there.
This is not good.
"strange symbol" is never good.
formatting the HDD is recommended, unless the strange symbols are not present on a computer.

you might have to show me what you mean by strange symbols. (take a screenshot inside the loader? press C+Z on the nunchuk and look at your SD card in the loader's folder !)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your setup:
3.0 cIOS249 rev20
WBFS partition for wii games
second HDD for gamecube games.

What I suggested on IRC :

1. follow this guide :
(really, follow it, even if you think it's not needed, just to it anyway, don't skip a step)
https://gbatemp.net/posts/6478222

2. Format the HDD to FAT32
and use Wii Backup Manager to put game on HDD.
here is a guide to use that program correctly :
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7592791

and yes, a guide was needed because a lot of people didn't understand how the program was designed, and used the wrong menus....
look at the guide, set it up accordingly.

3. you'll have to update your softmod
get the d2x cIOS installer for Wii
create a folder "d2x_installer" on your SD card:/apps/ folder
extract the package inside that folder
put the SD on the console
be sure you have network enabled
Launch d2x installer homebrew from the HBC
select this :
what : d2x v8 final
where : 249
base : 57
version : 21008
press A and A again to launch the install process. after install press A to go back to main screen and Home to exit to HBC.

Done.

you better not use 2 HDD at the same time. it creates issues, and you are not ready for that.
so, if you want to switch HDD, that's fine, but NEVER do it while inside the loader.
remember, only USB Port 0 is working with USBLoader (the one near the edge of the console)

Nintendont mount the first HDD it finds, it looks at USB Port 1 first, then port 0.

This is not good.
"strange symbol" is never good.
formatting the HDD is recommended, unless the strange symbols are not present on a computer.

you might have to show me what you mean by strange symbols. (take a screenshot inside the loader? press C+Z on the nunchuk and look at your SD card in the loader's folder !)
Do I put the new usb loader on my sd and delete the old one or put it on with it

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The d2x installer only shows v6 for me no higher

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

None of this changed anything for me it's all still the same still have symbols in drive as well cyan

Attachments

• 1508701671571-328922723.jpg
    1508701671571-328922723.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 785
Last edited by Kmack,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your drive is corrupted and if you're only seeing v6 you're probably not using the installer Cyan linked.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
follow ALL the steps I told you.

which are :
format your HDD
copy (and of course it will replace) your files on SD card, replace the channel
get the installer I linked, use dpad to change the data, if you have only v6 but you used my version it means you extracted incorrectly or not fully !
Extract WITH SUBFOLDERS ! maybe you extracted all to the same folder, or didn't put in the correct location on your SD card.

re-follow all the steps to the letter.
I don't think I made any mistake, so they should be fine to follow.

Sorry about your HDD, it's corrupted, you should (and need to) format it. you will lose all the data present on it.
This corruption happens when you unplug the drive while there is still an active writing.

on PC :
ALWAYS use the "safely remove device" from your computer before unplugging any USB drive.
if it tells you "please, don't disconnect" then, don't ! you will corrupt it and lose files. retry until it says you can safely remove it.

On Wii :
NEVER unplug or plug a HDD while inside a homebrew.
Always exit the homebrew.
inside HBC it's fine, but inside USBLoaderGX it's not !
if you switch USB while inside USB Loader (or any homebrew) and read/write to the device, it will corrupt all your files !
if you REALLY need to do it (why ?), that's the purpose of "remount SD card" icon at the bottom of the loader, but it's warning you that it's dangerous and will crash or corrupt your card. don't even think about ejecting the SD or USB while inside the loader.

Last edited by Cyan,

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your drive is corrupted and if you're only seeing v6 you're probably not using the installer Cyan linked.
I went back and did it again. I got the v8 final and everything is right but both my drives show those symbols. They aren't corrupt and one currently only has one game til I fix this butstill shows all those same files like its corrupt. But the gc games will play with nintendont.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does the directory structure look like when you have the drive connected to your PC? Your screenshot looks like the file table is corrupted.

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

which are :
format your HDD
get the installer I linked, use dpad to change the data, if you have only v6 but you used my version it means you extracted incorrectly or not fully !
Extract WITH SUBFOLDERS ! maybe you extracted all to the same folder, or didn't put in the correct location on your SD card.

Sorry about your HDD, it's corrupted, you should (and need) format it. you will lose all the data present on it.
This corruption happens when you unplug the drive while there is still an active writing.
ALWAYS use the "safely remove device" from your computer before unplugging any USB drive.
What it was the walkthrough calls for an extra folder that is automatically made when you unzip the file. I got it corrected tho. Just still getting
What does the directory structure look like when you have the drive connected to your PC? Your screenshot looks like the file table is corrupted.
The screen shot is on the Wii but in the pc it shows I have 1 game I a wbfs folder on the gc drive it shows the same thing with usb loader but plays the games off nintendont easy. The pc also shows it full of games as does nintendont

which are :
format your HDD

Sorry about your HDD, it's corrupted, you should (and need to) format it. you will lose all the data present on it.

on PC :
if it tells you "please, don't disconnect" then, don't ! you will corrupt it and lose files. retry until it says you can safely remove it.

On Wii :
NEVER unplug or plug a HDD while inside a homebrew.
Always exit the homebrew.
inside HBC it's fine, but inside USBLoaderGX it's not !
if you switch USB while inside USB Loader (or any homebrew) and read/write to the device, it will corrupt all your files !
if you REALLY need to do it (why ?), that's the purpose of "remount SD card" icon at the bottom of the loader, but it's warning you that it's dangerous and will crash or corrupt your card. don't even think about ejecting the SD or USB while inside the loader.
I always safely remove everything had too much go wrong in school with usb drives

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if your extracting method created the folder, then I guess it's not good ? maybe your extracting program created the extra folder?

you need to extract the content of the zip inside a folder, if you follow my guide then you should have these files and folders :

SD:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmaps.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v7/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v8/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v10/

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your extracting method created the folder, then I guess it's not good ? maybe your extracting program created the extra folder?

you need to extract the content of the zip inside a folder, if you follow my guide then you should have these files and folders :

SD:/apps/d2x_installer/boot.dol
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/meta.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/icon.png
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/ciosmaps.xml
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v7/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v8/
SD:/apps/d2x_installer/v10/
I did. But they were inside a folder inside another folder. I d to reorganize it to get homebrew to find it but I got it done right. Just can't figure out why my drives are acting corrupt. I even just formatted them

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I don't know why it looks corrupted (and it should be).
a "chance" I didn't release the new updated FAT library yet, or I would have thought it was the new release which had an issue.

it's also strange that the wii display the content as symbol but not the computer.
FAT32 has 2 different file table, maybe only one is corrupted?
but you said you just formatted it.

Maybe try to format your drive with this tool instead of using Windows' right click :
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Last edited by Cyan,

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I don't know why it looks corrupt (and it should be).
a "chance" I didn't release the new updated FAT library yet, or I would have thought it was the new release which had an issue.

it's also strange that the wii display the content as symbol but not the computer.

Maybe try to format your drive with this tool instead of using Windows' right click :
Also the drive I'm using for Wii games only has one game but is showing many files in usb loader

When I try to change my main gc path to usb the whole thing crashed after getting an exception

yeah, I don't know why it looks corrupted (and it should be).

I'm not sure what to download cyan. It brought me to an unavailable page then loaded a page that has a list of different programs

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also the drive I'm using for Wii games only has one game but is showing many files in usb loader

When I try to change my main gc path to usb the whole thing crashed after getting an exception

I'm not sure what to download cyan. It brought me to an unavailable page then loaded a page that has a list of different programs
Ok cyan I figured it out. I downloaded it and formatted my drive and put a game on with the backup manager i put my drive in the Wii (safely removing of course) and opened usb loader and it says error usb device not initialized. Switching to channel list mode. What does this mean? And does it help identify my issue

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try deleting the GXGlobal.cfg file (or renaming it) and see if it works afterwards.
Still got the same error message but my apps are showing up again. I didn't even realise they were fine until I did this. I'm trying with my regular formatted drive now

That didn't work. But that drive was acknowledged but still had the same corrupt look in custom paths I just reformatted it and added only one game

Last edited by Kmack,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
did you update the cIOS located in slot249 ?

If your USB is correctly plugged to USB Port 0 (near the edge, bottom port), then it's good.
to fix the initialization error, go to the loader's settings, search for "Loader's IOS" option and set it to 58
reboot, and the drive should be detected now.

You might have to re-force the display of wii games, as it was previously disabled :
top menu > 4th icon > enable wii, disable channels.

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you update the cIOS located in slot249 ?

If your USB is correctly plugged to USB Port 0 (near the edge, bottom port), then it's good.
to fix the initialization error, go to the loader's settings, search for "Loader's IOS" option and set it to 58
reboot, and the drive should be detected now.

You might have to re-force the display of wii games, as it was previously disabled :
top menu > 4th icon > enable wii, disable channels.
This didn't work cyan. It still have me the same message. And automatically unchecked wii games. With my gc drive it still crashes when I try to set the path too. Again just reformatted both drives and about to again

You said update cios in spot 249. How do I do that was it part of the tutorial you sent me?

Last edited by Kmack,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't connect 2 HDD at the same time.
if you plug a different HDD than previous launch, you might have to force a refresh of the partition :

settings > hdd menu > click on the first option to force a HDD detection/partition mount & refresh

But using 2 drive with different paths is a little bad, maybe.
the settings will not be good based on the hdd you connect.
it's still better to use only one HDD for both wii and gamecube, or don't use SD card and put the setting on USB. but, we will do that later ! first, you need to fix your detection and hdd issue.

which cIOS are you using now?
can you give me the new info at the top of the Credit page?

Last edited by Cyan,

Kmack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't connect 2 HDD at the same time.
if you plug a different HDD than previous launch, you might have to force a refresh of the partition :

settings > hdd menu > click on the first option to force a HDD detection/partition mount & refresh

which cIOS are you using now?
can you give me the new info at the top of the Credit page?
I can't have 2 drives in at one time I have to shut down and switch drives. And the top right corner of the credits reads rev1262 ios58 (rev 6176) ahb
And the top hdd option says not initialized

Last edited by Kmack,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?