Hacking USB Loader GX Hangs on Initiate HDD with New Enclosure

Jamisonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using USB Loader GX on vWii. I've previously used this exact same hard drive with another enclosure and its worked just fine, and it has worked again after putting the HDD back into that enclosure.

I purchased this enclosure from Amazon hoping to use it with vWii. I like that its externally powered, and has an on/off switch so I can shut it off when not using vWii so I don't get the annoying format message when using the Wii U proper. I've tried using it with the USB 3.0 cable supplied, and a USB 2.0 cable. When loading USB Loader GX it just hangs on initiate. Nintendont and the Homebrew Channel load this hard drive just fine, USB Loader GX is the only one with the issue.

The old enclosure is just a plain one with a Y-Cable.

Any advice on how to get it working?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nintendont and homebrew channel are both using IOS58 to mount the USB devices.

By default, USBLoaders are using IOS249, which can have issues with some devices.
You could try to set the loader's IOS to 58. (settings>loader settings>Loader's IOS, then reboot the loader)

If using IOS58 doesn't help, I suppose the enclosure is not compatible with this loader.
you can try:
-boot the loader without the drive,
-when you see the countdown connect it.

If it works, it's a known issue, but I don't know how to fix it yet.
Some drives are not detected correctly, but I don't know why. the device init is the same than other homebrew, so I'll have to try different things but I don't have this bug so it's not easy to debug. there's a thread about this bug.

if it doesn't work, then it's your enclosure which is not compatible with usbloaders.
You can try another loader (wiiflow) to see how it reacts with that enclosure.

Jamisonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So switching to ios58 allowed USB Loader GX to mount the hard drive, except now no games will load. The games appear there but go to black screen when selected.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
to load games from USB the loader need to reload to cIOS instead of IOS58 when launching the games.
I thought maybe the issue was only at loader's launch, but it would work when launching the games.

So the issue is your enclosure is not compatible with cIOS USB drivers.
Which version of the d2x cIOS are you using?
if you are using d2x v8 final, try updating to d2x v10 (r52), and if 52 doesn't work try r53 but it should have the same compatibility than 52.

To be really sure it's a cIOS issue and not usbloaderGX, try launching a game with wiiflow.

Jamisonia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, it sounds like maybe this enclosure won't work. That's fine. Do you know of any 2.5" Enclosures that have external power (preferably with an on/off switch though that isn't essential) that definitely are compatible? Are most of them, did I just gen unlucky?

Shank_jeremy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a similar issue on a normal Wii. But USB loader 2.0 works just fine where as USB loader 3.0 will hang at initializing HDD unless it's unplugged and I plug it in during the 20 seconds it gives you to plug it in then it will load.

Last edited by Shank_jeremy,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switching to ios58 worked for me but I get an error when I try to install the channel ERROR! (ret=-1029)

You have to use an IOS with the Trucha bug to install channel WADs. Switch to one like 249 in your WAD manager before you select what you want to install.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1