Hacking USB Loader GX freezes when used on Flash Drive ?

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I followed the "Softmod Any Wii" guide on www.wiihacks.com. To cut to the chase, when I use my portable USB HDD with USB Loader GX, everything works perfectly fine. However, when I try to use my Sandisk Cruzer Blade 32GB flash drive, USB Loader GX freezes at random points like when opening the menus, starting a game and even at "initializing USB". Both USB Loader GX and my games are stored on the USB drive. Even if no games are on the flash drive, it still freezes; so the problem is related to running USB Loader GX on the flash. It also freezes in WiiFlow and USB Loader CFG.

I tried just putting my games on the USB and using an SD card to start USB Loader GX and then it works fine. The only way I was able to get it to work with only the flash drive inserted was by formatting the drive as NTFS and using it with USB Loader CFG. The setting "ntfs_write = 0" must be set in the config file else it freezes. So seems it could be a problem with writing to the flash - and no, write protection is not on and none of the files are set to read-only.

Problem with "ntfs_write = 0" is that I cannot install my other games or save any config settings from within the loader (as it cannot write to the USB). Plus, I really prefer to use USB Loader GX. I also want to run it from the USB, not from an SD card (so that if the USB is not inserted, it defaults to the system menu using Priiloader else it loads straight into the loader).

Any ideas on how I can get it to work with USB Loader GX ? (I can provide additional information).

Thanks

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Try a regular HDD. Flash drives almost always seem to work like crap on the Wii.

To cut to the chase, when I use my portable USB HDD with USB Loader GX, everything works perfectly fine.

As I said in my OP, my HDD works perfectly fine, but the point of this topic is to try get my Flash Drive to work also (for when I'm using my HDD elsewhere).

Is your flash drive in WBFS format?

Hi, no, I tried in both Fat32 and NTFS format. Both freeze.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried in both Fat32 and NTFS format.

Definitely try WBFS format. There's a program specifically for formatting flash drives to transfer titles so USB Loader GX plays backups correctly.

Can't remember the name of the program, but you should google it (WBFS formatting program) so when you find it, you'll know how it works.

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely try WBFS format. There's a program specifically for formatting flash drives to transfer titles so USB Loader GX plays backups correctly.

Can't remember the name of the program, but you should google it (WBFS formatting program) so when you find it, you'll know how it works.

I thought that WBFS format is completely outdated now and shouldn't be used ? Normally FAT32 is the recommended format ?

Just to be clear, playing games is not the problem since it freezes even when no games are present. I backed up all my games in .wbfs format and they play fine using my portable HDD.

Also, it would be nice to keep the USB in a format Windows can understand in case I have to move other files around.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a SanDisk 32GB Cruzer that only worked in WBFS format and was the only way to play titles over 4.5GB. But if Fat32 works for you, then it works.

To be clear, games in WBFS instead of .iso is one thing, a flash drive in WBFS format is another.

If you search google for a WBFS program, it'll transfer files.

If USB Loader GX is freezing, does it only happen with the flash drive, as in, it won't freeze when loading from the HDD?

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAT32/NTFS doesn't work on my Sandisk 32GB so I guess I can try formatting it as WBFS and see what happens. (As long as I can always format it back to FAT32 or NTFS in the future).

Correct, it only freezes when using the flash drive.

Obviously I'd prefer to get the flash drive working with USB Loader GX in NTFS or FAT32 format so I can still use the flash on my PC.

Last edited by RPH,

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean you want to add other files, mess around with saves, or play on Dolphin?.....but you might be able to use it in dolphin with WBFS format?

Yes, I'd like to be able to manually drag and drop new games / delete games etc. without having to use a game manager on my PC. And of course, to be able to use the USB to also store other files if need be.

Your other option is to try different clusters or booting with wiiflow, maybe?

It also freezes in WiiFlow and USB Loader CFG.

The only way I was able to get it to work with only the flash drive inserted was by formatting the drive as NTFS and using it with USB Loader CFG. The setting "ntfs_write = 0" must be set in the config file else it freezes.

I did also try with different cluster sizes at one stage - like 32KB clusters for example.

Last edited by RPH,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you install d2x in the first place? If you used ModMii there should be an option to change which version you want to use to build the WADs. Beta53 added the option of using a USB port other than port 0 for storage but it's got issues with both EmuNAND and some disc-based games.

If you used the d2x installer on your console I think the v10 files include both, but if not the beta52 ones are here.

Also, in reference to WBFS: don't use WBFS Manager. It corrupts games. Use Wii Backup Manager to manage WBFS files or partitions.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How did you install d2x in the first place?

I followed the "Softmod Any Wii" guide to the letter on wiihacks.com. Unfortunately the site is down right now. It didn't specifically mention d2x at any point. I assume it was part of the wads that I batch installed at one point in the guide. I did use ModMii to install the wad files. Obviously I would like to fix the issue with my flash drive but at the same time I don't want to break anything. How would I change to beta52 (I have ModMii on my SD card) and can I change it back after ?

Last edited by RPH,

azzarod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You may be trying something that just won't work. As GreyWolf said earlier in this thread, " Flash drives almost always seem to work like crap on the Wii."

I've gotten some to work, and others just won't - even when the same brand purchased at the same time. I've had better luck formatting flash drives as WBFS (I use WiiBackupManager to do it), but even then, it's hit or miss.

Unfortunately, flash drive compatibility is just flaky on the Wii.

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
i also use flash drive, until 7 months but no problem. if you cant save config in your loader, your sd may write protected. ya if you using a card reader in your comouter the sd is not write protect. try to check on your wii console go to wii system memory, try to move or copy the savegame from wii system memory to check your SD is write protect or not.

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You may be trying something that just won't work. As GreyWolf said earlier in this thread, " Flash drives almost always seem to work like crap on the Wii."

I've gotten some to work, and others just won't - even when the same brand purchased at the same time. I've had better luck formatting flash drives as WBFS (I use WiiBackupManager to do it), but even then, it's hit or miss.

Unfortunately, flash drive compatibility is just flaky on the Wii.

I understand that however I just thought that considering I was able to get it to partially work on USB Loader CFG with ntfs_write disabled; that could provide a clue to the more experienced users here on how I could maybe get it to work with USB Loader GX.

There has been the suggestion of replacing d2x beta53 with beta52, but I don't know how to go about doing that on my current Wii setup.

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I checked the soft-mod guide that I followed again. Turns out I already have d2x-v10-beta52 installed.

RPH

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
https://www.google.com/#q=wbfs+manager

You mean you want to add other files, mess around with saves, or play on Dolphin?.....but you might be able to use it in dolphin with WBFS format?

Personally, I'd look into the program.

Your other option is to try different clusters or booting with wiiflow, maybe?

I formatted my drive as WBFS. But now how do I copy USB Loader GX (the apps folder) to it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended