Hacking USB Loader GX - default theme too "big"

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
On my 42" 1080p LCD TV, USB Loader GX is slightly "cut off" at the top & bottom. I tried changing the TV's aspect ratio, but all the other settings are even worse.

On my mum's 42" 720p plasma TV, USB Loader GX is fine. It was also fine on her previous TV (32" LCD). Both of us have the Wii connected by component cable.

In my actual Wii main dashboard, everything is fine.

I can't see any settings to change this in GX. Can I modify the default theme somehow?

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
change your Wii settings to 480i, thats the only way to display most homebrew at the original dimensions

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Your TV has what's called Overscan - you can't fix it short of making the application aware of it and thus able to compensate.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
markmcrobie said:
Thanks. If I change my Wii to 480i, don't I lose the benefit of having the component cable (i.e. 480p)?
I think you might be able to make only USB Loader GX run in 480i, or you could set your wii to run in 480i and then force all games to run in 480p via the usb loader

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
It makes very little sense for it to display in 480i but not 480p. They have the same pixel resolution. Switching to 480i really only makes sense for PAL Wiis where the user is using the default 576i. I think it is just overscan, which you may be able to correct via your TV settings. Look for overscan or vertical size configuration features in your TV's menu.

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
I tried setting the Wii to 480i, made no difference.

There is no overscan setting in my TV menu. There are settings for horizontal & vertical position, but vertical is greyed out. Wouldn't this affect everything connected to the tv anyway?

Why does this issue only appear in GX and not the Wii menu and in-game?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My new TV (sony bravia) had the same problem with GX being cropped.
I found a menu in the TV where you can select the overscan/zooming from -1 / normal / +1
had to put -1
It's really small difference, but enough to fit GX.
It seems my old TV had a bigger viewing zone. I don't know why they made "normal" the default while it's not full screen.

George Dawes

Wanker
Trophies
Website
www.indymedia.org.uk
XP
Country
Chad
You will probably need to get into the engineer menu of your tv (do a web search for tv brand and model engineer menu) to be able to modify the overscan.

Try to get hold of a calibration BD/DVD to set your TV up to look the best it can, that will help you setting overscan to an optimal value.

markmcrobie

OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks, I can get the code for my TV to get into service settings, but won't changing it there affect all sources, etc, not just USB Loader GX?

Can anyone tell me why it's only GX affected and not the Wii/component source as a whole? The official Wii dash and in-game is fine, it's only when using the GX dash.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All my pictures were cropped, from any sources, it's just not detectable with video or games as they tend to use a safe zone where they don't print any usefull information, like HP/MP etc.
but if you can compare with another TV, you can verify if it's really only GX or everything.
If it's GX only, maybe there's a problem with the video format, or the aspect ratio.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. your best bet would be to just create a theme text file. you can move the gui components wherever you like without having to change the images. this way you will ensure that it looks right on your tv, nobody 10,000,000 miles away from your house has to do any needless coding and hope it looks right, and its faster. you can whip up a theme file and tweek it in a couple hours and be done.

S4Z_c

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just go to gui settings and at the end you can adjust overset X and Y. Just set -20 on both for your screen size.

S4Z_c

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Please, next time look at the date of the thread before posting, dont necrobump~!
I know, I've seen that but I was searching for the same problem and there is no thread on the web but this, and no solution, so I'm posting for future people with the same problem. Thanks and sorry for that. Regards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night