Hacking USB Loader GX - Can't Shutdown/Exit when using d2x-v10beta52

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
what would be interesting is to know which file is giving you this error.
You could dump partially (by specifying a path) but it could take a long time. If you have free time, why not, but you need to know the folder structure (you have it on your emuNAND folder now).
you could try to dump title, then shared1, then shared2 etc.

It could be an issue with one of your savegame, if it has a character in its filename on your NAND which is not compatible with FAT32 charset (for example ":" or "<" etc.)
usually, d2x take care of these characters, but maybe it's missing one?

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dumped just the SYSCONF via GX and it said Success. Will take a look at my savegames and try dumping one folder at a time to see if I can find where it gives me an error.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It said errors occurred when extracting the title directory. However I would have to assume that it's one of those safe to ignore errors, since I'm able to play the extracted games with no problem.

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I know I've said that the channels installed to my emuNAND worked, but that was while they were still installed to my real NAND. I actually took them off my NAND and now when I try to launch them from my emuNAND they just go straight back into GX.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You set emuNAND channel to Full or Partial ?

It's acting as if you had that option on Partial (where it still try to access some data on NAND).
I know some channels are not working fine in emuNAND and require the game to be also on NAND (which defeat the purpose of the full emuNAND), and works only with Sneek.

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You set emuNAND channel to Full or Partial ?

It's acting as if you had that option on Partial (where it still try to access some data on NAND).
I know some channels are not working fine in emuNAND and require the game to be also on NAND (which defeat the purpose of the full emuNAND), and works only with Sneek.
It's on Full with Saves set to Off. Every game I tried just returned to GX.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe the NAND dump really has errors and missing files.
It usually works fine for all (most?) users.

You could try to dump your NAND using another tool than USBLoaderGX, just to see if it gives an error too.
You can try Simple FS Dumper, or FSToolbox.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FSToolbox
There's no SimpleFSD on wiibrew, there's a link here but I don't know the version, could be old and dangerous and buggy : https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-fs-dumper.170367/
I found v0.4.2 fix2 on my computer
https://filetrip.net/dl?glx7t7UZA4

Or
FSdumper (from Crediar, I'll trust this one more)
https://filetrip.net/dl?unwRBbvQcZ
note that it will dump to your SD root ! you'll have multiple folders everywhere to move into a subfolder.
I'd use a clean SD card with only /apps/ on the root so I'd know what all the dumped folders are.
the "non compatible FAT32 chars" will probably be managed differently than d2x. I know/remember only Harry potter game with that issue, there are probably more.

Another solution is maybe to just browse your nand (Wiixplorer or FSToolbox) without dumping it, so see if any file or savegame has a special character in its filename.

Or,
use WiixPlorer to copy/paste from NAND to External device.
you can set the IOS to 249 instead of 58 before doing it so d2x will manage the special chars.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the NAND dump really has errors and missing files.
It usually works fine for all (most?) users.

You could try to dump your NAND using another tool than USBLoaderGX, just to see if it gives an error too.
You can try Simple FS Dumper, or FSToolbox.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/FSToolbox
There's no SimpleFSD on wiibrew, there's a link here but I don't know the version, could be old and dangerous and buggy : https://gbatemp.net/threads/simple-fs-dumper.170367/
I found v0.4.2 fix2 on my computer
https://filetrip.net/dl?glx7t7UZA4

Or
FSdumper (from Crediar, I'll trust this one more)
https://filetrip.net/dl?unwRBbvQcZ
note that it will dump to your SD root ! you'll have multiple folders everywhere to move into a subfolder.
I'd use a clean SD card with only /apps/ on the root so I'd know what all the dumped folders are.
the "non compatible FAT32 chars" will probably be managed differently than d2x. I know/remember only Harry potter game with that issue, there are probably more.

Another solution is maybe to just browse your nand (Wiixplorer or FSToolbox) without dumping it, so see if any file or savegame has a special character in its filename.

Or,
use WiixPlorer to copy/paste from NAND to External device.
you can set the IOS to 249 instead of 58 before doing it so d2x will manage the special chars.
Here is the log from Simple FS Dumper. Line 1071 is the only thing I could find that looks like an error. During the dump it asked me to press a button to continue when it got to that spot.

I also tried fully reinstalling USB Loader GX and re-dumping my NAND to the SD card rather than the external hard drive. It now seems to work correctly, but only if the NAND dump is on the SD card. When I moved it to my external hard drive, launching channels that aren't also located on the real NAND takes me straight back to GX again.

Attachments

• simplefsdumper.txt
    74 KB · Views: 387

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the error is reading the Photo channel, so it probably not correctly dumped.
but if that's the only problem, then your NAND is good to be used for other means.

What you experience is maybe due to emuNAND compatibility with your cIOS, like if you still had r53.
you have v8 or v10 or v10-alt? You had r53 but I don't remember if you switched back to r52. Anyway, v8 Final is usually better choice.
is your USB hidden (with uStealth), in case you use it on WiiU too, maybe you hid it. it doesn't work with emuNAND.

sorry, I help multiple users at the same time, and don't remember who did what :P
just refresh my memory and tell me which cIOS you are using. (or check with syscheck to me sure)

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The term Waninkoko (I think) chose is wrong, and that name stayed even for new consoles.
We are not emulating NAND, we are redirecting access to a copy of the NAND located on external device.
A better name is "RedNAND" for redirected NAND.

What you do is make a copy of your NAND, and use that copy for all your needs, being modding or playing games from it.
Sometime it's not even a NAND chipset anymore, it's just a bad name. We are making a copy of the internal used chipset data to external device.

The most used purpose is :
- install MORE games at the same time than what the Wii could ever let you (Wii = 528MB, EmuNAND=16TB of free space for your games!)
- try dangerous things, like system editing. being from Theming the system menu to change its look and color, but also trying to edit and patch system files (for console not yet fully hacked it's a way to test without bricking real NAND)
- Have two different firmware version available at the same time (real one and the copy).

The Wii uses it now only for gaming.
there are two mode : cIOS real time redirection, has 80% game compatibility, and Neek full kernel redirection which as 99% game compatibility.

3DS used it for games, backup and brick protection. Allowing to have an outdated and exploitable firmware to launch homebrew, and and updated redirected NAND copy to play latest games from it. Also allowed restoration in case of brick.
WiiU used it for development, but nothing useful came from it. it's rarely used now.

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the error is reading the Photo channel, so it probably not correctly dumped.
but if that's the only problem, then your NAND is good to be used for other means.

What you experience is maybe due to emuNAND compatibility with your cIOS, like if you still had r53.
you have v8 or v10 or v10-alt? You had r53 but I don't remember if you switched back to r52. Anyway, v8 Final is usually better choice.
is your USB hidden (with uStealth), in case you use it on WiiU too, maybe you hid it. it doesn't work with emuNAND.

sorry, I help multiple users at the same time, and don't remember who did what :P
just refresh my memory and tell me which cIOS you are using. (or check with syscheck to me sure)
I was using v10-beta53-alt and switched to beta52. Tried both v8-final and v10-beta52 but it still just results in exiting. Never used this HDD with a WiiU.

It's able to show what's installed on the emuNAND and everything.

(I formatted this HDD as FAT32 via gParted. I don't think it's a formatting error though, since Wii backups run well.)

Why someone want to emulate nand?
Because the Wii's internal NAND is rather small and doesn't have enough room to install a lot of VC/WiiWare games.

(Posted this before I saw Cyans reply. He obviously explains it better :P )

Last edited by MW99,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, you had the symptom of r53, but now that you made sure to use v8 or v10 I don't know why it's still not working :(

it's usually straightforward.
1. be sure you have d2x NOT alt
2. set the path in USBGX (use a short path ! long paths are not working, try to keep the full path less than 10 characters)
3. make a full NAND Dump from USBGX
4. done
you can install new channels from the internal emuNAND wad manager.

Be sure to set the emuNAND mode to cIOS, not neek. if you want to use neek but don't have the needed file, it should warn you, so I guess you are using the proper mode.

edit:
Could be gparted issue, it depends which partition type it created.
there are multiple FAT32 partition ID, two should be covered by the homebrew (FAT32 w95 and the later one, but there are maybe more IDs, maybe the cIOS is not recognizing it)
we can't know without a log, I still haven't coded that feature in USBGX.

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, you had the symptom of r53, but now that you made sure to use v8 or v10 I don't know why it's still not working :(

it's usually straightforward.
1. be sure you have d2x NOT alt
2. set the path in USBGX (use a short path ! long paths are not working, try to keep the full path less than 10 characters)
3. make a full NAND Dump from USBGX
4. done
you can install new channels from the internal emuNAND wad manager.

Be sure to set the emuNAND mode to cIOS, not neek. if you want to use neek but don't have the needed file, it should warn you, so I guess you are using the proper mode.

edit:
Could be gparted issue, it depends which partition type it created.
there are multiple FAT32 partition ID, two should be covered by the homebrew (FAT32 w95 and the later one, but there are maybe more IDs, maybe the cIOS is not recognizing it)
we can't know without a log, I still haven't coded that feature in USBGX.
What's the recommended way to format a hard drive for GX? I guess it'd be worth a try if there's a possibility that it's a formatting issue.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you are on windows, you can use this one :
https://filetrip.net/dl?fXDErB67FG

I don't know for other OS, sorry.

for information, USBGX recognize these formats :
0x04: "FAT16";
0x05: "Extended";
0x06: "FAT16";
0x0b: "FAT32";
0x0c: "FAT32";
0x0e: "FAT16";

I don't know which partition format d2x recognizes.
before formatting it again, you could check which partition type you have, I'm sure Gparted can display that information.
There are other FAT32 format ID, like 27, 7c or cb (and more)
if you can choose, use 0b (works with CHS and LBA addressing)

Last edited by Cyan,

MW99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are on windows, you can use this one :
https://filetrip.net/dl?fXDErB67FG

I don't know for other OS, sorry.

for information, USBGX recognize these formats :
0x04: "FAT16";
0x05: "Extended";
0x06: "FAT16";
0x0b: "FAT32";
0x0c: "FAT32";
0x0e: "FAT16";

I don't know which partition format d2x recognizes.
before formatting it again, you could check which partition type you have, I'm sure Gparted can display that information.
There are other FAT32 format ID, like 27, 7c or cb (and more)
if you can choose, use 0b (works with CHS and LBA addressing)
Here's all the info I was able to get out of GParted:

usbloader_gx-hdd-info.png

If that doesn't have any helpful information, I'll try and see if I can get some more details from a Windows based tool.
(The program you linked me to won't show my list of drives, so I couldn't use it.)

This is all very confusing...

GX shows all the installed channels on the emuNAND, I'm able to install new WADs, but the channels will only launch if they're either also on the real NAND or on the SD card.

Is there any other info I could provide that would help diagnose what's going on?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)