Homebrew USB Loader GX and The Last Story

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hi, I'm stuck in the game, in the part where Zael talk to Calista about a book, the game freeze in the cutscene and I can't go forward, I tried to skip the cutscene but only can fast fordward it.

I'm using d2x v6, I tried with both base 56 and 57, my lens is dead for dual layer games, so I can't play it from the disc (I transfer the game to my HDD using my nephew's Wii).

The game partition is FAT32 (4GB size)

BTW, it seems these freezes always happen in dual layer games, Xenoblade and Smash also freeze in a cutscene, I wonder if there is a workaround for this.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hi, I'm stuck in the game, in the part where Zael talk to Calista about a book, the game freeze in the cutscene and I can't go forward, I tried to skip the cutscene but only can fast fordward it.

I'm using d2x v6, I tried with both base 56 and 57, my lens is dead for dual layer games, so I can't play it from the disc (I transfer the game to my HDD using my nephew's Wii).

BTW, it seems these freezes always happen in dual layer games, Xenoblade and Smash also freeze in a cutscene, I wonder if there is a workaround for this.

Tried to use any other loader?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you have a external NTFS drive to test the non-split iso?

Someone else also suggested splitting the game at 3GB instead of 4GB (to cut it on another place), but it didn't help the other user with the same problem as yours.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Yeah, I'm testing that right now, it seems to be the problem.
Will switch to everything to NTFS now, it will be a loooooong night =(

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, I'm testing that right now, it seems to be the problem.
Will switch to everything to NTFS now, it will be a loooooong night =(
windows comes with a tool to convert FAT32 to NTFS - called "convert" (other tools exist too)
wbfs2fat does WBFS to FAT32
of course (by extension) WBFS to NTFS is possible too

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just remember something.
For the other user with this problem, It was caused by the fragmentation of the partition.
defrag fixed the problem.

If you already converted to NTFS, check the defrag tools if it still doesn't work.
Sorry I didn't remember before, it could have prevented you to convert it (if already done).

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Oh, don't worry, I already tested defrag some months ago and it didn't fix a similar problem with Xenoblade.
I'm on NTFS and everything is fine so far :)

ScreamingBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same exact problem.

I have updated everything that is updatable and cleaned up/defragmented my HDD ( 14 hours+ just for the defrag) but the game still freezes at the same exact moment. Wiiflow and USBLoader GX are doing the same thing and so does the 3 or 4 different rip of the game I tried, Zael shows his arm to Calista in that specific book cutscene, the audio stops and then she just stares at it for eternity (or until I power off the darn thing). I also tried all available ios, a bunch of video settings, most in-games options and even changing the involved characters outfits; same exact result each and every times.

I've read your posts but I don't quite understand how to use "full isos" and even less how to "split" them in specific ways or how to use them in a backup loader. I've always played from .wbfs files loaded from my 1To HDD in fat32 and all the game I played, old or new, were running perfect or close to.

Please help guys, I can't find anything anywhere on how to solve that issue. I'm pretty desperate right now. :(

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The full iso require the partition formated to NTFS.
You use your computer to copy the ISO file (the one doing 7.92GB) to your USB HDD, instead of using .wbfs files

Splitting the file at 3GB didn't help the other user, I doubt it would help you too.
Splitting the files means that your game is cut in multiple .wbfs files instead of a big single ISO file, in order to fit on a FAT32 partition. the USBLoader read the file like if they were a single file (it shouldn't freeze/hang at the split part).
try using an external HDD formated in NTFS to play past the cutscene, save, and then you can put back your current HDD to continue playing.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Defrag will not help, it is just some games (dual layered the most) don´t like FAT32, the only option you have is transfer the game to a NTFS partition, or run from the disc then save after the book cutscene.

ScreamingBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys for the really fast answer, I think I get it now :)

Quick questions: I've found a 8GB stick and managed to format it to NTFS but windows says there's only 7,43 GB space in it and my iso is 7,91GB. Is there a way to free the 40MB~ in it that is taken by invisible stuff and/or to decrease the size of the iso slightly (by maybe like 50 or 100MB) so it fits in there, but also work?

If that's not possible: Is there a way I can just take 10~15 GB free space from my fat32 HDD and make it a NTFS partition without touching the rest of my data?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can partition your FAT32 HDD into two partition. you resize the FAT32, add a new partition at the end of the drive and format it in NTFS.

About the ISO, the game data is not taking full 7GB spaces, so you can trim it (remove unused data).
Though, I don't know if the game is currently hanging because it is split, or because it is trimmed. (it could be because it's trimmed and data moved inside the iso, as other 4BG+ split games are working fine, like SSBB)

Use WiiBackupManager
load the ISO
Select the iso in the program and choose "Transfer > CISO", and select your NTFS stick as destination. (/wbfs/The Last Story[gameID]/GameID.ciso)
it will make an ISO in a single file, but removing unused data (compressed/custom iso).

If the USBLoader is not seeing the game, rename it to .iso instead of .ciso

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The game is around 5.8GB, it works just fine being scrubbed, I think WiiBackupManager always scrubs all the games regardless.
Mine is wbfs in NTFS and works flawlessly.

It raises a new question :P, I have SSBB disc, an every time I dump it WiiBackupManager report it having an error, I can play it just fine but always hangs in a specific subemisary cutscene... More strange I never have been able to complete a backup using CleanRip, the disc is in perfect conditions btw.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SSBB is one of the few games that has more partitions than ANY game.
For instance all retro games on the disc are split up in partitions on the disc.
This was because of the partition limit in the dumping process of various loaders when in scrubing mode.
Workaround for this is to dump the game WITHOUT ANY scrubbing, FULL iso.
It does not matter if is is split in .wbfs. Make sure all data is there.
It sdoes not matter if you are using FAT32 or NTFS.
Same is true for above mentioned games.
I NEVER had any problem with those games.
To be honest this is first time I've even heard of problem with the last story, and xenoblade.
DO A UNSCRUBBED RIP OF THE GAMES.
SSBB was noted a LOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago.

Defrag will not help, it is just some games (dual layered the most) don´t like FAT32, the only option you have is transfer the game to a NTFS partition, or run from the disc then save after the book cutscene.
Not true at all.
Use a way of dumping that dump the whole disc. ( no scrubbing )

D2x needs updating.
Use latest version of clean rip or usb loader gx enabling FULL RIP in ripping options.
Keep split size default make sure your drive is formatted FAT32 in 32kb clusters.
I'ts the the method I use. Zero problems.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, USBloaderGX doesn't have the 1:1 option for wii games anymore.
It's now always scrubbing/generating .wbfs files.

I think what he meant is the option to choose which partition to dump.
You can dump:
- Only the game partition
- Remove the update partition (keep Game and Other partition)
- Dump everything (Update, Game, Other)

The best choice is "remove the update", that way it keeps the WiiWare partition in SSBB.

I don't know why CleanRip can't go to second layer or complete the dump.
Do you have a modchip? Wiikey needed fw1.9s or newer to work with retail dual layer disc (burned one worked fine).

CleanRip doesn't rely on cIOS, so the version doesn't matter, but it does when playing the game in the USBLoader.
I'm personally still using WBFS partition and never had any problem with dual layer games.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yeah, USBloaderGX doesn't have the 1:1 option for wii games anymore.
It's now always scrubbing/generating .wbfs files.

I think what he meant is the option to choose which partition to dump.
You can dump:
- Only the game partition
- Remove the update partition (keep Game and Other partition)
- Dump everything (Update, Game, Other)

The best choice is "remove the update", that way it keeps the WiiWare partition in SSBB.

I don't know why CleanRip can't go to second layer or complete the dump.
Do you have a modchip? Wiikey needed fw1.9s or newer to work with retail dual layer disc (burned one worked fine).

CleanRip doesn't rely on cIOS, so the version doesn't matter, but it does when playing the game in the USBLoader.
I'm personally still using WBFS partition and never had any problem with dual layer games.

Yes, this is what I meant.
I think the partition limit was fixed some time ago especially for Smash brothers brawl. ( there are more that 12 partitions on this game I think ).
Cleanrip should work 100% http://cleanrip.googlecode.com/files/CleanRip-v1.0.5.zip
This will get you a 100% iso, wich can then be read by Wiibackupmanager. Make sure you set Wiibackupmanager to scrub nothing.

If you encounter this problem in Wiibackup manager ( red letters ) you have a incomplete dump of the game. ( partitions missing so md5 hash different )

Reactions: OriginalHamster

ScreamingBeast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Had no luck whit the .iso, black screen. Then tried .ciso but it was not appearing in USBLoaderGX, so I renamed it to .iso... black screen again.

Then I put the game in WBFS on my NTFS 8gb stick... AND IT WORKED FIRST TRY :D I've used this setup to go trough the cutscene and save afterward and then switched back to my old setup, everything is working PERFECT now :)

Thanks a lot for your inputs guys! I was not too far from giving up haha.. ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended