USB Loader GX and Nintendont - 500GB - Partition NTFS/FAT32 - What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by joemama1995, Sep 14, 2017.

1. joemama1995
    OP

joemama1995 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    Hello,

I have a 500GB USB Hard drive which I want to use for both Wii and GameCube (and maybe SNES). I know I can use FAT32, but it's has a max file size of 2GB and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of splitting up the larger wbfs files.

It doesn't look like Nintendont supports NTFS. So it looks like I need to create two partitions - a FAT32 for Nintendont and a NTFS for GameCube. Does it matter which partition is first?

Should I stick a single FAT32 partition and split my >2GB wbfs games? How do you even split the game? Or should I go with two partitions and not have to split the game?

What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the feedback.

2. joemama1995
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    I just thought of another option - maybe I can use a large (64GB) SD Card for GameCube games and use a single NTFS partition for my HD?

3. Zabhahs

Zabhahs Goron

Sep 20, 2015
    United States
    Seattle area
    I partitioned a 500 into 300 for wii, 200 for gc. sadly you must use wbfs splits, bothers me too but no other way. use wii backup fusion to use wbfs in case you dont know. Also, you can use USB loader for both gamecube and wii, just make it read each partition. It even has other loaders than nintendont for gc.

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It's 4GB, not 2GB.

Just use one FAT32 partition. It's much easier and there really aren't a whole lot of Wii games that end up getting split. Wii Backup Manager is the best tool to use unless you don't have Windows.

5. joemama1995
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2015
    United States
    Hmmm, why did I think it was 2GB? At 4GB, you're right it would be less than a handful of games (I would care for).

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, most games are single-layer discs so they're a maximum of 4.7GB so unless the game completely fills the disc it will fit in one file.

7. F0rZ3r0

F0rZ3r0 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    100% recommend FAT32 over NTFS unless you will be needing the NTFS partition for reasons outside of homebrew. It felt like actual hell to use it back then when I was unaware that I could just split the ISO... Nonetheless, loaders have been annoying in terms of their support, and overall FAT32 made my life easier in the end. As said above, in the few cases where the games are over 4GB, just use something like Wii Backup Manager or anything similar to split the file into 4GB files before putting them on.

Not to mention; if I recall correctly, HBC doesn't detect NTFS partitions, so in the end it's just overall annoying to deal with. I imagine if it is however, it'd be quite wonky with homebrew. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Last edited by F0rZ3r0, Sep 17, 2017
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    NTFS partition? The heck you guys talking about? O_O

9. F0rZ3r0

F0rZ3r0 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2015
    United States
    OP was asking a question about whether he should use FAT32 or NTFS, both being different file systems used to store data on hard drives/USB drives/etc.

In terms of what they actually do and their actual differences, I can't really speak. However, in terms of homebrew, FAT32 has been the most compatible file system there is for it, although NTFS is an option for USB loading. It, however, if my memory serves right, run apps through HBC.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well I mean I have a micro SD card i have in fat32, and it works fine when use as usb or SD, but you don't need partition. Just create a folder called WBFS on the root of the storage, then put the wbfs files inside of the proper folder with the proper names.

upload_2017-9-17_3-11-11.png

Next for the nintendon't, put the games in /games/MYGAME/game.iso (my game is the name of the folder for the game) Then load it with wiiflow. Look for wii flow master mod, it can load gamecube iso with nintendon't as well as download and activate cheats and other video tweaks. You can even copy the Game disc directly to storage with wiiflow if you want. Of course I mentioned, i have a 32GB micro sd card. I never tried SD XC cause i dunno if it will work as exfat, but ntfs should work according to people who said so (Cause i never tried). Just remember you need to split your games that are over 4GB, so far the only known dual layer disc games even when compressed and wiped of excess data is Super smash bros brawl, metroid other M and xenoblade chronicles, which you can download both (EXCLUDING SMASH BROS) from the wii u eshop and play without homebrew loaders.

Acording to github

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 17, 2017
  11. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    FAT32 is a partition, and you can't launch Wii games from the SD card slot with USB Loader GX.