Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddetkowski said:
Hey, I got an idea!
Use your frikkin' Wii remotes!
You DID get them with the console, correct?
But I understand your dilemma. Some games play easier with a button controller.

thanks great idea but its better to play brawl and lots of other games that allow it with a gc controller troll

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
Never had this issue myself, don't know what it could be, but try this:-

1. Take a bootmii nand backup of current (half)working wii.
2. Use ModMii, and tell it your Wii is virgin.
3. ???
4. Profit!

If this works, you will have an up to date soft-modded wii. If it doesn't, then restore your backup, and it will be as if you did nothing.

ifailx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Category said:
Never had this issue myself, don't know what it could be, but try this:-

1. Take a bootmii nand backup of current (half)working wii.
2. Use ModMii, and tell it your Wii is virgin.
3. ???
4. Profit!

If this works, you will have an up to date soft-modded wii. If it doesn't, then restore your backup, and it will be as if you did nothing.

i just tried this and it didnt work thanks for the help though anyways. Its like so weird how my contorller works fine before it gets into the wii game. If i knew how gc controllers were accessed in a wii game I could probably fix this.

ifailx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the other guy who had this problem mines just started randomly working i dont know if it was because i put a gc memory card in or because i started touching the inside of that open part that is to the right of the first port it will shock you if you do it but you can try both of these

Swift Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just happened to have same problem as yours...

I wondered is that because you opened your wii parts? I modded wii case into new shiny blue case and gamecube controller suddenly doesn't work for any wii games anymore. I tried gamecube memory card and I don't understand how can touching first gamecube controller slot made it working again for you but not me? Can you explain it more clearly?

And oh btw there has to be something with disc drive because gamecube controller works everywhere else other than usb loader and frankly, when disc drive was unplugged, everything seemed to work ok but usb loader gx crashed without it.

Swift Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay my wii finally recognized my gamecube controllers while running wii games from usb loader.

It happened to work again because I returned 1 x 0.5 x 2cm (approx) grey foam back into its rightful spot. I dunno how can this caused gamecube controllers not working with usb loader but it's actually true...

Kodesmack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swift Fox said:
It happened to work again because I returned 1 x 0.5 x 2cm (approx) grey foam back into its rightful spot. I dunno how can this caused gamecube controllers not working with usb loader but it's actually true...

What do you mean '1 x 0.5 x 2cm (approx) grey foam'? I cant find anything like that in my options

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just tested it on my Wii, my Nintendo and 3rd Party GC Controllers work with Brawl from CFG Loader v68d, with and without Memory Cards plugged on Which version of CFG Loader did you use? Maybe that's a problem.
By the way, how do Wii games access the GC controller if not over an IOS? There clearly seems to be a Software Problem so some kind of Software must be involved. Or is it something Wii games must provide themselves, like the Network Stack in DS Games.

Verg

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi,I have the same problem but have not been able to solve...Please someone give me a solution.
Thanks to all!

Swift Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,I have the same problem but have not been able to solve...Please someone give me a solution.
Thanks to all!

Other time my Wii got same problem once again...

I figured it wasn't the foam cube thing inside Wii and I was really stumped on what has caused my controller not working again.

A while later it somehow decided to work again after I changed the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 in widescreen settings.

For more than a year my Gamecube controller never break on me after this.

Tried back to 4:3 but can't seem to reproducible, tho...

give it a try and tell me if it fixed for you too

JazawaToad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone still having this problem? I've tried so many things, I've been through every forum and thread and never found any solution. I've got a 4.3U Wii, with up to date mods via Modmii. I've been loading GCN and Wii games via CFG loader, and nothing else. Suddenly, my controller wont respond as soon as any Wii/GCN game is loaded, but it works in any/all menus and disc or VC games I load. I've had this same exact setup for years and never had a single issue up until now. I did nothing different, suddenly one day it just stopped working. I have an official white Nintendo controller as well in case generic would be an issue (which I'm quite certain would not be). I've tried updating all my mods, installing new cIOS mods and whatnot, I've tried different loaders, and no results. I tried everything so far suggested in this thread as well. However, when I use Nintendont (Which sadly only loads GCN games it seems) it detects my controller just fine, no problems. I dont understand that, but I'm not complaining. I still cannot play any Wii games like SSBB with a GCN controller though. This issue has been going on for over a month for me. I hope someone from this thread is still alive and someone can help me out. I'm willing to give additional information on my Wii and mods if needed. Essentially though, I used Modmii to update my hacks, so it /should/ be current. Thanks for any responses if there are any...

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USB loaders and IOS have nothing to do with Gamecube controllers other than possibly supporting them for their menus.

They are read by the controller library if it's linked with the game executable when the developer made it.
Try it with the original disc. If the controller doesn't work then you have either a bad port or bad controller.
If you're using a Wii-U and the GC controller adapter it may just not be supported.
If you don't have the original disc go buy another copy.

zamlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm replying to this thread because I can't find a anyone else with the similar problems that I am having with my Wii. Understandably, a lot of these posts are not explained well I appear to be having the same issue as many of these users. But, I feel like, as with the others who were/are in my position, simply cannot understand the cause of this problem.

Before I describe the system details, I'll say that this isn't my Wii. I got it from a friend with the goal of making it into a pimped-out usb backup loader. More specifically, to be able to play the different kinds of Smash Bros. that are available.
So in order to pimp it out, I bought the XCM ii Case Mod and dissembled the Wii and put it back together. So Far, however there were no issues.

This Wii is a first generation Wii with system menu 4.3U.
It currently has cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta53-alt and cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52.
I have Bootmii installed in Boot2, currently set to autoboot into the system menu.
I have Priiloader currently set to startup USB Loader GX on Autoboot.

So here is the issue,
The GC Controller works everywhere, except on games loaded via USB Loader GX ( USB HDD is formatted to FAT32).

I open up USB Loader GX and I start Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii. This game is confirmed to have Gamecube Controller support. Unfortunately, the game does not recognize it.
I open up the very same game via the Disc Channel and the GC Controller works flawlessly.
Incidentally, other Wii games that are confirmed to have GC Controller support do not work via USB Loader GX, but work via the Disc Channel.

I should also mention, (and I believe someone else mentioned this as well), running a GC game from USB Loader GX (I am using Nintendont) also works as intended. This leads me to believe that the problem seems to be with USB Loader GX. However, I could not seem to find a single option that was mis-set in that could be causing the issue.

Finally the last thing I should mention is the case mod. I just recently opened the case up and switched everything around. But as one might suspect that may have potentially caused some unwanted behavior.

Okay my wii finally recognized my gamecube controllers while running wii games from usb loader.

User Swift Fox claims that it is the grey foam block which was not rightfully placed (located at the underside of the motherboard) and looking at the underside of the motherboard of my Wii (the case is transparent) I noticed that my foam block is not placed correctly as well. My knowledge of PCB Design is limited, but I'm very inclined to propose that it can't possibly be the issue and there must be something else we are missing. I would like to know what you guys opinion is on the matter. And if there is already a proper solution ( I couldn't not find one, google failed me, this was the closed thread I could find). I really don't want to reopen this Wii. The screw heads have started to become worn out and soon enough (these screws are really cheap IMO) I wont be able to screw them in/out. Thank you for your time. Here is a link to a picture of the Foam that Me and user Swift Fox are referring to.

http://imgur.com/a/8m8c6

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand your issue. You say the games work with the controllers but they don't? USB Loader GX does not handle controller polling for either Gamecube or Wii games. It only uses controller input for its own purposes. Reading the ports is handled by Nintendont (or the game itself if native controls is turned off) or the cIOS you're using to load a Wii game.

The loader can't make Wii games compatible with GC controllers if that's what you're trying to do.

"cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta53-alt and cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52"

Try changing IOS249 to beta52 instead of beta53. Beta53 has compatibility issues and only exists so you can use a USB port for hard drives other than port 0. Games loaded from the disc channel use the IOS that the disc says it needs. USB Loader GX uses whatever you have the "Game IOS" set to in its settings.

zamlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand your issue. You say the games work with the controllers but they don't? USB Loader GX does not handle controller polling for either Gamecube or Wii games. It only uses controller input for its own purposes. Reading the ports is handled by Nintendont (or the game itself if native controls is turned off) or the cIOS you're using to load a Wii game.

Essentially Wii games that have GC Controller Support fail to read the GC Controller Input when they are launched VIA usb loader.
These very Wii games if launched with the disc channel are successfully able to read the GC Controller input.
This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the USB Loader (or it seems more likely that the cIOS is the issue since it works every other scenario).

The loader can't make Wii games compatible with GC controllers if that's what you're trying to do.

I am aware of this. I am only trying to make the Wii games that use GC Controllers work. These games are, but not limited to, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. Project M, Mario Kart Wii.

Try changing IOS249 to beta52 instead of beta53. Beta53 has compatibility issues and only exists so you can use a USB port for hard drives other than port 0. Games loaded from the disc channel use the IOS that the disc says it needs. USB Loader GX uses whatever you have the "Game IOS" set to in its settings.

Essentially what I wanted to figure out was whether it was an issue with the hardware, usb loader gx, or the cIOS. I'll take your advice here and install beta52, but i won't be able to do that until tomorrow. I have some scheduled plans today unfortunately and I'll have to get back to you about the results tomorrow.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Essentially Wii games that have GC Controller Support fail to read the GC Controller Input when they are launched VIA usb loader.
These very Wii games if launched with the disc channel are successfully able to read the GC Controller input.
This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the USB Loader (or it seems more likely that the cIOS is the issue since it works every other scenario).

I am aware of this. I am only trying to make the Wii games that use GC Controllers work. These games are, but not limited to, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. Project M, Mario Kart Wii.

Essentially what I wanted to figure out was whether it was an issue with the hardware, usb loader gx, or the cIOS. I'll take your advice here and install beta52, but i won't be able to do that until tomorrow. I have some scheduled plans today unfortunately and I'll have to get back to you about the results tomorrow.

Wii games that support GC controllers should work with a Wii that has the ports if the game supports them. I'm not even sure that would be a cIOS problem. Are they official Nintendo controllers?

zamlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah they are official Nintendo controllers. And that's why I'm very confused. Like I mentioned, I'll try your fix you mentioned earlier once I get back home. Hopefully the cIOS is actually the issue. Because otherwise, I can't think of anything else that is.

SO!
I've changed ISO249 to beta52 but that didn't fix anything.

BUT!!!!! I have made a startling discovery,

If I try to load the Wii Disc through USB Loader, same issue. However, opening the very same disc through the Wii Menu's Disc Channel, appears to not have this issue! Hopefully this piece of information will help!

Last edited by zamlz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.