Hacking Upgrading Big SD-card with emunand and cia files

kutteke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've searched around but I don't seem to find a straight answer.

Is there a way to upgrade the internal SD card on the 3ds while keeping emunand (incl. Cia's,savegames) intact?

Thanks guys.

Reactions: RitchieRitchie

kutteke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm i must be doing something wrong here.

Format emunand on new sdcard
update to newest firmware
extract nand from old sdcard
inject nand to new sdcard
copy over all the files from old sdcard.

it boots without installed CIA or themes

BobsYurUncle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does installing to SD card instead of using microsd allow for bypassing the gateway boot screen? I'm not sure I understand the benefits.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Does installing to SD card instead of using microsd allow for bypassing the gateway boot screen? I'm not sure I understand the benefits.

you mean using CFW and CIAs? yes you can bypass the Gateway boot screen, but not as many games work and you can't go online etc. Better to use Gateway mode IMO.
This thread is about upgrading SD cards while keeping the data, you've replied with an unrelated subject.
Using CIAs in Gateway mode means you don't have to cycle through all of your games in the Gateway menu, and you get the nice icons on your home menu.
Another reason to upgrade the SD card is so you can dump games to it before transferring them.

Reactions: BobsYurUncle

kutteke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Format emunand on new sdcard
extract nand from old sdcard
inject nand to new sdcard
copy over all the files from old sdcard.

do it without first updating to newest firmware ;)

flabulousfreddy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely!

-Use the EmuNAND Tool to backup your old EmuNAND

-Backup the contents of your SD card to your computer in two separate folders, ESPECIALLY the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, which is where your games are installed to.

-Take your new SD card and put the Gateway launcher on it, JUST the Gateway launcher when you format your EmuNAND, it deletes everything but the launcher to reformat the card, as it's putting the EmuNAND in a different partition and partitioning the SD card.

-Create a new EmuNAND with the Gateway Launcher by holding down the L button at the Nintendo DS Profile launch and then select Format EmuNAND at the Gateway Launcher menu.

-Take your new SD card with the newly formatted EmuNAND and put it into your computer.

-Copy back over the backup of the old SD card that you made earlier.

-Since we're dealing with two different partitions, at the same time, you can use the EmuNAND Tool to put your old EmuNAND back on the new SD card.

-Once everything is done copying over, go to your EmuNAND the way you always do and everything should be back, with added space.

I've done this quite a few times now for people and every time it works! I plan on buying a 64GB SD card so I have a 128GB 3DS. Cannot WAIT for that!

Reactions: roby972

Pitalacta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is almost exactly what I've done like 3 times now, only difference is that I'm using the same SD card as before.
I used a bad USB reader and my card got corrupted, so I had to reformat it. Thankfully I had backed up all my files and my emuNAND a few days back, but even after following these steps my 3ds still won't read my old files.
My folders are there, but all the games that are supposed to be in them are gone. I also lost my themes and the save contents that are stored outside the .sav files, like armor presets in MH4G and progress records in Theatrhythm Curtain Call.
Most of the games that were installed in the SD card were from the eShop so I can just download them again, but I don't think I'll be able to use my previous save files. I'm redownloading FE:A now to test but I'm not optimistic.

I wonder if I somehow did something wrong and if there's any way to restore my files, does anyone have any ideas?
It's no big deal if I can't though, at least I still have all my .sav files.

flabulousfreddy

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These steps need to be done exactly. Where did you go wrong on them?

Try deleting the EmuNAND partition with Partition Manager and then reformatting the card with the same program. Then, reformat the entire card with Windows when done. You might just have TWO different EmuNAND partitions on your card.

Pitalacta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
These steps need to be done exactly. Where did you go wrong on them?

Try deleting the EmuNAND partition with Partition Manager and then reformatting the card with the same program. Then, reformat the entire card with Windows when done. You might just have TWO different EmuNAND partitions on your card.
Hmm, you're definitely right, I deleted and formatted every visible partition, and when I tried booting into gateway mode, it loaded 9.2 emuNAND, so the emuNAND partition is definitely there.
For some reason though I can't see the partition on my PC, not even using cmd or third party applications (I tried using Paragon Partition Manager). I also can't inject my old emuNAND to it using emuNAND Tool.
Do you know of any way to forcibly delete this?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
emunand is just shown as unallocated space.....if your really having trouble with it, just write something to the SD with win32diskimager......pretty much anything will do, then you just remove and reinsert the Sd and it will let you fully format the SD

Pitalacta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
emunand is just shown as unallocated space.....if your really having trouble with it, just write something to the SD with win32diskimager......pretty much anything will do, then you just remove and reinsert the Sd and it will let you fully format the SD
Did that and it still won't work. Thanks for your reply anyway.
I'll try doing it with another SD card to see if the problem is with my card

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
are you doing the correct SD? emunand is stored on the SD in the side of the 3DS....i think you might be looking on your microSD that goes in the gateway card instead

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :sad::sad::sad: And a part of my family passed also. :sad::sad::sad: Sending my good suit to the...