Hacking Upgrade Hard drive?

g12345567

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Just wondering. I want to repartition the external hard drive. Currently formatter to FAT32/NTFS and working with USB loader CFG and WiiFlow

Will the games still work if I just copy the fat32 and NTFS partitions to another hard drive using Windows. Repartition the hard drive then copy the files and games back to the same partitions on the USB hard drive?

Also does USB loader CFG and USB loader GX recognise games stored on multiple partition on the same Hard Drive? EG Fart32/wbfs and NTFS/wbfs.

Last edited by g12345567,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they have support for multiple partitions but I personally never used it. What is your reasoning for wanting multiple partitions with different file systems? USB Loader GX works great with a single drive formatted to FAT32.

g12345567

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I think they have support for multiple partitions but I personally never used it. What is your reasoning for wanting multiple partitions with different file systems? USB Loader GX works great with a single drive formatted to FAT32.

Originally had my 2tb external USB hard drive setup as a small 10gb Fat32 for applications and the remainder as NTFS for Wii games thinking thats all I would need. Since some are larger than 4gb it would be a pain to track down all the games larger than 4gb to reinstall them on a single fat 32 partition.

Basically I just backed up both partitions. Repartitioned, leaving the Wii games on the NTFS partition and set aside the remaining space as FAT32. So far everything seems to be working by just backing up the harad drive, repartitioning and copying the games back to there same original locations. So I didn't have to spend time reinstalling all the games and updating all the USB loaders. Just to get a larger fat32 partition.

Since I recently got a new GameCube controller and wanted to setup the GameCube compatible Wii console to play some origin Gamecube games from the external hard drive as well. Since the GameCube requires games installed on a fat32 partition and have no idea how much space I would need for GameCube and other emulator games. Wanted to setup the fat32 as large as possible and if I ever want to install more Wii games I can just install them to the fat32 partition along with the games currently installed on the NTFS partition.

From what I've read WiiFlow supports up to 8 partitions on the one hard drive. Not sure about USB Loader CFG.

Thats why I need to have multiple partitions on the same drive.

Last edited by g12345567,

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to worry about the Wii games that are larger than 4gb on a FAT32 partition. If you use a program called WiiBackupManager it will automatically split the game into 2 smaller files so it will fit and USB Loader GX will play the game just fine. You don't have to do anything extra and you wouldn't even notice a difference.

I personally think a single formatted drive to FAT32 is the best option. All your homebrew apps, wii games, gamecube games and emunand games (WiiWare and Virtual Console games) work perfectly from a single FAT32 drive. If you need or want help setting up your drive like that I would be more then happy to help you. I just have no experience with multiple partitions and wouldn't be able to help you if that's what you ultimately wanted.

g12345567

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I meant WiiFlow. Sorry for the confusion.

So far everything working fine after a complete backup, repartition and restore.

Surprised how quick and easy it was to install Nintendon't. Up and running in around 5 mins both though the Wii system menu via a forwarder channel and using WiiFlow which integrates perfectly with Nintendon't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things