Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't believe I'm getting into this again...

What do you count as 'the old style UI'? What exactly is missing from Win 8 that Win 7 has, UI wise.
Start Menu isn't a valid response, because Win 8 has it (it's just a bit bigger...)

I think he means the classic Windows Theme (how Windows 98 looked with its taskbar and Windows start menu)...?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think he means the classic Windows Theme (how Windows 98 looked with its taskbar and Windows start menu)...?

Oh right. Well I don't think there's a hope in hell of *that* look ever coming back. You can get pretty close to it in Win 7, if you really want to. Did they take that option out of Win 8?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I uninstalled Win8 the moment I discovered I still had to start programs as admin despite UAC supposedly being disabled. I don't tolerate annoying security bull**** meant to protect the ignorant. I prefer to have easy/full access to my system. Windows 7 has been good in that regard that I don't have to worry about driver problems and security level on certain programs.

Increased OS complexity is inevitable. It took me some convincing back in the days to move from Win98 to XP. I had lots of DOS stuff that didn't migrate very well, but with time that solved it self. Now where in that platoe region where computer tech advancements has become more incremental instead of big innovations. Until computers start drastically leaping in speed and storage space like the invention of Quantum Analog computers or something, Microsoft needs to stop trying to over bloat their new OSs with too many new features. It's counter productive.

Win8 can die in a fire while buried under flammable fecal matter. :P

I might check out Windows 9 when ever that comes out. Microsoft seems to be in this every other OS is crap phase. Windows 98 - Good. Windows ME - CRAP. Windows XP: Awesome, Windows Vista: CRAP. Windows 7: Great....Windows 8....

You get the idea. Windows 8 is the time traveling ba***rd child of Windows 9. :P

In all honesty, Win 8 is fine for a lot of folks who aren't highly technical and doesn't fully knows the in and outs of using their system. The casual PC user who may not know how to navigate the dark Internet jungle without picking up a ton of Mal-ware and viruses. (not insulting them. It's just a reality that not all humans can possibly know everything. There will always be those who fall for phishing, scams and what not and there will always be those who create and push said bad stuff, blame society I guess) I'm not against better security. Just give us the option to disable the stuff that impedes those who don't really need it.

I'm not even going to get into the cluster**** that is Metro. That's just asthetics and is up to opinion, but from my point of view is that Windows 8 should have stayed on Tablets and phones. Windows 9 is what PCs should have gotten instead.

But for everyone else who isn't a gaming FPS whore...Stay away from this stinker. :P

So ends my Windows 8 rant. :P

D

Deleted-236924

And about that 64 bit Win7.. and 8... am i limited in use of software if i install 64bit Win in general.. i mean, can 64bit run EVERYTHING 32bit can?
Not everything, 64-bits Windows 8 cannot run 16-bits programs while 32-bits can. You could still have a 32-bits VM to run 16-bits program if you really needed though.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
8 sucks.
I have awaking from sleep issues.
8 adds nothing other than faster bootup time.
7 is the way to go.

Metro UI is a failure.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Windows 7 has awaking from sleep issues for me. I don't think it has anything to do with the OS.

I've got Windows 7 on my gaming PCs, 8.1 on my tablet. I've tried 8.1 on the mid-tier gaming PC I built a couple weeks ago, and reminded myself that I don't like it when certain things can't be found due to "redesigning" (the same thoughts apply to Photoshop and Office). I've already decided that 7 is good enough for me until 9 shows up.
Windows 9 won't do away with Metro, and won't bring back things to "how they were"... I only hope that it gets redesigned again in a more intuitive manner (like how Windows 7 had those fancy snapping features - simple and intuitive).

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I could just say I don't like it and call it a day. If Microsoft can't figure out what it's customers like (For me everything Win95-Windows 7) my job ends at either opening or closing my wallet. It's pretty binary, asking a customer to justify why they would or would not buy a product is fine. But when there are literally hundreds of thousands of forum posts saying the same thing, MS is ignoring its customers.

The fact that there are popular programs on the net to bring Windows 8 back into line with past OS's is testimonial enough to my point. (with millions of downloads, and given the poor sales of Windows 8 means a rather large % of 8 users are using it...)

For people saying "Oh it's fine just use the hack!" I would like to sell you a burnt hamburger.... It's fine if you dump enough ketchup on it.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 9 won't do away with Metro, and won't bring back things to "how they were"... I only hope that it gets redesigned again in a more intuitive manner (like how Windows 7 had those fancy snapping features - simple and intuitive).

I think 9 will do away with Metro as seen in Windows 8.
Windows 8.1 can "get rid of Metro".
Metro on the desktop is such a failure .. MS would be crazy to pretend it's worth keeping.
For the birds that like it ... allow them to keep it ... but the majority of people dont want it.

Looks like Windows Phone 9 will ditch Metro UI.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=wind...I&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I guess this usually reliable source says they will tweak Metro for Windows 9 (Codename Threshold, due April 2015).
http://www.amongtech.com/windows-9-coming-in-2015-and-will-feature-a-redesigned-metro-ui/

All I can say is .... if Metro UI isn't so tweaked it is unrecognisable as Metro ... it is doomed to be a failure.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Microsoft *beep* Windows 8 and now it's hard for it to regain positive feedback due to how its launch was, it's more or less like what happened to Xbox One.

But yeah, for people who've bought a computer and have Windows 8 I'd say just upgrade to 8.1 and stick to that unless you'd want Windows 7 which feels like a more traditional OS.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Do you use the start menu to browse your programs? Or do you hit the windows key and start typing the name and pressing enter?

If you do the latter, there's no reason not to go with windows 8 (or 8.1).

I've used win 8 (and now 8.1) for a long long time, and I had no trouble adapting. Sure it was a bit strange the first week or two, but after that it feels just like any other OS. But yeah, I never used the start menu to browse and look at all those folders and programs... and that seems to be the most different thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father