Tutorial  Updated

Updating your hardware hacked 360

I've made this tutorial to show you how to update your hardware hacked 360 the easy way.​

First of all, download JRunner here.
Next up, the official MS dash here.
*optional* grab NAND flasher 360 and XeXMenu from this CD.
*optional* grab Rawflash from here.
*optional* grab Dashlaunch from here.

JRunner

Once you started JRunner you'll be greeted with a screen.
c8vZqP1.jpg

First of all, go to the XeBuild tab and click on Dash version, then click on Add Dash
Tick the latest dash and click on Add Dashes.
JRunner should be downloading the files.
Got to the Dashlaunch tab and tick Use Dashlaunch and Include Launch.ini?.

IlZgo93.png

Click on Launch.ini options.
Input these settings then click on Create and then on Save Launch.ini.

GHvWUsU.png

Now load up your NAND dump by clicking on Load Source
Insert your CPU key (if it isn't stored in JRunner) and click on Re-Init

If correct, JRunner will give you detailed info on your bootloaders, KV and any bad blocks you have.
Which means your CPU key matches your NAND.

mbpbiSA.jpg

Go to the XeBuild tab and select the dash you want to update to.
Also select the type of hack used.
JTAG for JTAG users, tick Aud_Clamp if you use the Aud_clamp method.
Tick R-JTAG if you used the R-JTAG method.
RGH for RGH1 users (360's that have been hacked with the original RGH
And RGH2 for the last RGH hack.
Select Retail if you're returning a console back to stock.

Leave everything else as it is and click on Create XeBuild Image
JRunner should be building a freshly hacked NAND for you.
Once it's done, you can find your new NAND named "updflash.bin" in the folder specified in the JRunner command line.

aQd4CEC.jpg

Updating your console

You basically have 4 ways to update the console.
1. Via XeLLs Rawflash v4 (requires XeLL and some additional files)
2. Via NAND Flasher 360 (requires FSD to be installed, along with the homebrew on your 360)
3. Via NAND wires.
4. Via JRunners new Update server.

1. If you're going to do it via Rawflash, rename "updflash.bin" to "nandflash.bin" and place it along with "xenon.elf" from the Rawflash archive on the root of a FAT32 usb drive.
Plug it in your console and power it on via the Eject button.
This should boot up XeLL and it should automatically load Rawflash.

After flashing, turn it off and unplug it for 10-30 seconds (if you changed SMC) and boot it back up.
If correct, your 360 should boot to the latest dash.

To install Avatar data and other dashfiles, continue to "Installing SysExt. Data"

2. If you're going to do it via NAND flasher 360 then boot up your 360 the normal way and load it up with FSD or XeXMenu.
Place your freshly build NAND on a FAT32 formatted USB drive and plug it in.
Go to XeXMenu or FSD or where ever you've put it and launch 360 NAND flasher.
MatTHzt.jpg
Click on Write NAND/Flash and Select Usb0:, click on updflash.bin wait till the operation has finished.
b0weeS7.jpg
Click on Shutdown and unplug the powercord for 30 sec.
Reboot and wait till it has rebooted.
If correct, it should boot to the latest dash.

To install Avatar data and or other dashfiles, continue to "Installing SysExt. Data"

3. If you're going to do it via NAND wires, then all you have to do is click on Write NAND after you have connected your NAND-X/JRunner programmer to your PC and connected the NAND wires to the 360 (or the plug to the programmer)
Make sure you have your Powercord plugged in for this and make sure your console is OFF!
Wait for it to finish and boot the console again.
DON'T EVER BOOT YOUR CONSOLE WHILST YOUR PROGRAMMER IS STILL ATTACHED!
This WILL damage the programmer and can possibly even destroy your NAND!

To install Avatar data and other dashfiles, continue to "Installing SysExt. Data"

4. If you're going to do it via the new feature of JRunner, make sure you have the latest Dashlaunch installed.

*I'm going to write this up with the aid of Hundshamer, this will be added shortly as I'm going to try it out meself once*

Installing SysExt. Data

To install additional dashboard files and Avatar data, you'll have to update the 360 again.
Again?
Yes again, however this time, the NAND portion is already done.
You're just installing additional files, so there's no worry of accidentally writing over your hacked NAND and losing your hacked 360.

First up, download the System update from MS if you haven't done that already.
Next up, extract the archive to the root your FAT32 usb drive and rename the folder from "$systemupdate" to "$$ystemupdate".
Boot your 360 and go to the MS dash, if you're on FSD (filemanager -> flash: -> dash.xex)
Plug in your USB drive and the 360 should recognize it and start updating.

If you haven't renamed the folder and have Dashlaunch installed then your 360 won't recognize the update!

After flashing the hacked NAND & updating the SysExt. Data
If everything went fine and your console rebooted properly to the MS Dash/FSD then you can safely assume you've updated your hacked 360 successfully!
Updates for NAND builders are usually a week after a new dashboard has been released.
There's pretty much no need to update that quickly since games will take a while before they catch up with the required dashboard.
Ofcourse it's always best to stay updated as much as possible.

I hope this tutorial is pretty clear, since updating a hardware hacked 360 takes a couple of more steps then other hacked devices.

Last edited by DinohScene, , Reason: Updated Dashlaunch.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you know XeBuild and hence J-Runner has been updated to fully automate the flashing process on the update tab? Just be sure to have the Dashlaunch v3.08 installed. With Dashlaunch running and "updserv" option checked under "Configurator", run J-Runner, select the "update" tab and click the "update" button. As long as your 360 is connected to your network, it will read, update, and reflash your 360 automatically. This includes all the avatar updates too.

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm .. is JRunner same as xeBuild? On another forum in their tutorial they tell you to use the latter. I tried it, but when I select my source NAND it selects build type as ECC (RGH 1.X) automatically as implying that's what I should write it as. However, I have absolutely no clue what to do with an '' ECC '' file and the Simple NAND flasher they tell you to use does obviously not support that. Is it safe to use JRunner as instructed in this thread and have it create the bin file for me? And does it matter if I use the flasher in this thread or the Simple nand flasher?

I just really really don't want to brick my console over trying to get GTA V working :(

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yep, XeBuild is included in JRunner ;]

ECC file is a small 1.2 MB file (iirc) that is only used to glitch the console.
Idk what you where doing with XeBuild but if you where building a Hacked NAND, you'd be doing it pretty wrong ;p

Humm, you can dump your NAND with NAND flasher 360 (just open the XeXMenu Live CD on your PC and FTP the NAND flasher homebrew to your 360 and open it with XeXMenu/FSD ;])
Use that NAND dump to create a hacked NAND.

I updated a ton of 360's this way and I never had one brick on me ;]

TRWOV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there!

I just got an used RGHd 360 Trinity (pressing the eject button boots Xelloader). It came with dashboard 17489, would it be worth updating to the latest one (17526)? or it's irrelevant at this point since the console is EOL?

I don't now what version of Daslauch it has though D:

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there!

I just got an used RGHd 360 Trinity (pressing the eject button boots Xelloader). It came with dashboard 17489, would it be worth updating to the latest one (17526)? or it's irrelevant at this point since the console is EOL?

I don't now what version of Daslauch it has though D:

probably pointless. I think the latest dash kernel is only a change to the terms of service. however, the hacked update exists in case you want to. :)

Reactions: TRWOV

tdemileto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, sorry for the dumb question. This guide teaches you to update my xbox 360 kernel to the most up to date? My xbox doesn't format my external drive above 32 gb for me use as a source of games, I hope that updating my kernel, I will be able to do this

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, sorry for the dumb question. This guide teaches you to update my xbox 360 kernel to the most up to date? My xbox doesn't format my external drive above 32 gb for me use as a source of games, I hope that updating my kernel, I will be able to do this
That is rectified with kernel 16xxx, what are you on?

tdemileto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That is rectified with kernel 16xxx, what are you on?
Hi. Thanks for your interest on helping. I was trying to figure it out my problem with no success. My kernel that shows on system info on original dash is 2.0.17150.0. I'm pretty sure that I have a RGH device.

tdemileto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not the latest, but that shouldn't cause this problem. Are you you using freestyle dash or aurora?
To open the freestyle dash I put 2 folders and one file on my externar hard drive or flash drive. 1: Dash Launch 3.10, 2: FreestyleRev-775, 3: launch.ini, Sometimes my console doesn't turn off when the flash drive or the external drive are connected to my console.
Post automatically merged:

Not the latest, but that shouldn't cause this problem. Are you you using freestyle dash or aurora?
I use the original dash to format the drive, but it goes only for 32 gb.
1666136159723.png

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To open the freestyle dash I put 2 folders and one file on my externar hard drive or flash drive. 1: Dash Launch 3.10, 2: FreestyleRev-775, 3: launch.ini, Sometimes my console doesn't turn off when the flash drive or the external drive are connected to my console.
Post automatically merged:

I use the original dash to format the drive, but it goes only for 32 gb. View attachment 332656
Not sure, but don't format external drive with the xbox. I don't know why it's not formatting correctly though.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, sorry for the dumb question. This guide teaches you to update my xbox 360 kernel to the most up to date?
Yes. Though as mentioned you don't an up to date system in order for your external usb drive to be read..
My xbox doesn't format my external drive above 32 gb for me use as a source of games
So your system is not reading the usb? Does it show up as unformatted in system settings?
It should be in a FAT32 format btw, and try plugging it in other usb ports. If you're using an external hdd, make sure it's getting enough power, use something like a y-cable to power it.

tdemileto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes. Though as mentioned you don't an up to date system in order for your external usb drive to be read..

So your system is not reading the usb? Does it show up as unformatted in system settings?
It should be in a FAT32 format btw, and try plugging it in other usb ports. If you're using an external hdd, make sure it's getting enough power, use something like a y-cable to power it.
Thanks cool me, I will try that. I've tried only two usb ports, Will try the rest. I only have the option to format on original dash for 32 gb, the rest doesn't show. I will try your tips.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the rest doesn't show
What rest? You it doesn't show your internal hdd? If that's the case, are you sure it's formatted? It'll show up as unformatted if it's not. If it doesn't detect it at all, then there must be something else, like the hdd is not fully connected to system..

kalleballik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Did you know XeBuild and hence J-Runner has been updated to fully automate the flashing process on the update tab? Just be sure to have the Dashlaunch v3.08 installed. With Dashlaunch running and "updserv" option checked under "Configurator", run J-Runner, select the "update" tab and click the "update" button. As long as your 360 is connected to your network, it will read, update, and reflash your 360 automatically. This includes all the avatar updates too.
Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over