Hardware Updating to SSD, had a couple questions...

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm finally upgrading the pc I built 7-8 years ago, have an i5-7400 coming along with motherboard and ram. Anyway, I picked up an ssd for the first time as well. My plan is to replace the mobo, cpu and ram first and get them booting with my current hdd, then unplug it and hook up the ssd and install windows. I have an oem win 7 64 disk that I originally used for this pc.

Will there be any licensing issues doing this? I've heard the license is tied to the mobo, which I'm changing. What about the old copy of Win 7 on the hdd? I won't be using it any more, do I need to do something to transfer the license?

Also, with the new processor, I assume I'll have to update the bios on the motherboard, which I've never had to do. Anything I need to know for this? It will at least boot into bios even if the current bios isn't optimized for Kaby Lake right?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Foxchild, , Reason: added specs

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks you will need to buy a new key. From my understanding you are doing a MOBO swap

From MS site -

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that would be sad :(. I upgraded my parent's motherboard a year or two ago with no issues, just plugged their hdd back in and the pc didn't seem to know the difference...

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't really know how it works. My understanding is that as long as 90% of the system is identical - so CPU and ram sticks might be checked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1