Hacking Updating cia games

rfire90

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read on another forum that games installed using cia files cannot be updated using the eshop. Is this true? If so, I suppose the only way to update these is to download the updates as cia files and install with the bigbluemenu. However downloading updates from eshop when using .3dz files on the Gateway should work fine right?

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
I read on another forum that games installed using cia files cannot be updated using the eshop. Is this true? If so, I suppose the only way to update these is to download the updates as cia files and install with the bigbluemenu. However downloading updates from eshop when using .3dz files on the Gateway should work fine right?

Same question here.
My CIA games ask me to update.
But I've already downloaded updates from eShop so these updates are already on the SD card but the CIA games don't see them...

And you even don't need games on 3DS to access eShop and download updates.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.3DZ work fine downloading from eshop.

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Another question on the same topic. Will an installed CIA game with a CIA update work online even if it is a EUR game on a Taiwan console? Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer!

Venseer

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can't update a CIA from downloading the new version on the eshop. It will download and fail on the last 1%.

You can download separated updates for games like Super Smash Bros or so on the EShop and they will work on your CIA.

You can also download the update as CIA and install it.

Another question on the same topic. Will an installed CIA game with a CIA update work online even if it is a EUR game on a Taiwan console? Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer!

If it is on the last version, yes.

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
While you can play and install games from any region. You won't be able to download updates from other regions (US, Euro, JPN) on your Taiwanese 3DS from the eShop. You'll have to wait for someone to download, convert to .cia and upload it.

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
So if I have a 3dz rom on gateway I can go in the eshop while on emunand and download any update about this rom normally? and then play online with it?

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Appreciate the info. I wonder if anyone knows that the deal is with Mario Golf? It asked for an update the first time i wanted to go online with it (which worked fine as it was a EUR cia file and a EUR region console) but does this mean it won't work with my Taiwan 3ds?

Thanks for any help!

undercoverjamil

Trophies
XP
Country
You can download separated updates for games like Super Smash Bros or so on the EShop and they will work on your CIA.

You can also download the update as CIA and install it.

i think ssb has like 7 updates to it or something?

Do i have to look for and install all 7 updates as CIAs? Or can I just install the latest one?
Also do you just install the CIA and that's it? The game has updated?

Thanks.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I was wondering if there was a way to apply the update to an existing .cia. Like.. downloading an update then somehow extracting it and applying it to its existing .cia.

Say I've got my backup of Smash Bros in .cia format and I download the smas bros 1.1 update in .cia format. Can I somehow take these two .cia and smush them together making a new Smash Bros+v1.1.cia?

I'm wondering because in theory i'd like to declutter my .cia list and maybe decrease the size of my .cias

HeirofBlood124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question
I'm currently on Boot9Strap and I'm trying to make a cia of my Smash update
Where would that cia be located exactly???

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question
I'm currently on Boot9Strap and I'm trying to make a cia of my Smash update
Where would that cia be located exactly???

1. Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
  2. Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)
  3. Navigate to the drive applicable to the type of title you wish to dump:
    • User Installed Title: Navigate to [A:] SYSNAND SD
    • System Title: Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND
  4. Navigate to title, Select title > 00040000 if you are dumping a full title or 0004000e for an update
  5. Navigate to the folder corresponding to the first 8 digits of the Title ID
  6. Navigate to the folder corresponding to the last 8 digits of the Title ID
  7. Navigate to content
  8. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Show title info”
  9. Ensure you have found the correct title
  10. Press (B) to exit the title info
  11. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Build CIA (standard)”
  12. Your installable .cia formatted file will be outputted to the /gm9/out/ folder on your SD card

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
  1. Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
  2. Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)
  3. Navigate to the drive applicable to the type of title you wish to dump:
    • User Installed Title: Navigate to [A:] SYSNAND SD
    • System Title: Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND
  4. Navigate to title, Select title > 00040000 if you are dumping a full title or 0004000e for an update
  5. Navigate to the folder corresponding to the first 8 digits of the Title ID
  6. Navigate to the folder corresponding to the last 8 digits of the Title ID
  7. Navigate to content
  8. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Show title info”
  9. Ensure you have found the correct title
  10. Press (B) to exit the title info
  11. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Build CIA (standard)”
  12. Your installable .cia formatted file will be outputted to the /gm9/out/ folder on your SD card

i know this is old, but im running a new 2ds xl 11.0.9-42U on Luma3DSv9.1
does this method still work with godmode9?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here