Hardware Updating a Wii without an internet connection?

ImInsideTheMusic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First let me say this: I am very very VERY new at this.

Background: Purchased a used Wii. I had some brief experience with a roomate's Wii a few years back and I liked some of the features, which prompted me to buy my first video game console in nearly 15 years. In other words - I'm not a gamer. But my kid likes games so I thought it might be a good starter.

One of the features I wanted it for was for Netflix streaming. Here's the thing. I know to get the Netflix app I need to be able to connect to the internet and the Wii shop.

In order for me to connect properly to my building's wifi (included in rent) I need the Wii to be able to use an internet browser to enter the passcode once a week. (Yes, I know how stupid that is.) *Edited to add: The Wii currently does not have the internet browser installed. According to my many google searches I can add it on via the Wii Shop, which brings us to the point below.*

The thing is, the Wii Shop won't run without an update. I attempted using my phone's wifi hotspot, and while the Wii will connect, it won't STAY connected - it keeps giving an error every time I try to download this update.

So I'm hoping there is a way around this that I can attempt from home in the next few days. I have no clue what update the Wii is at not having done this before, so I don't know if the option I came across in one google search about a new game will even work (and if it did, what my options as to games with the update are.) Is there a way to get the update via a laptop and either a burned disk, or a flash card or usb drive?

One other thing - I came across ways to do this that require some kind of modding. Not knowing how to do the Mod - or should I say, not being comfortable attempting it lest I turn the Wii into a brick - I did realize that the Wii is unmodded, so that's not exactly an option.

Thank you anyone who can shed light on this.

Last edited by ImInsideTheMusic,

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get the hackmii installer, install homebrew channel
Install bootMii as boot2 or install Priiloader
backup your NAND and copy the nand.bin to somewhere safe
if you can, buy/rent/borrow a game that has 4.2 on it
otherwise grab the 4.2 update WADs and put them on the SD
while you're at it you might as well grab the browser WAD
install the update from the disc/sd and the browser WAD with a WAD manager
if it bricks, you have a NAND backup.
Homebrew channel will most likely get deleted, so re-install that when you're done.

All of these steps (probably) have tutorials somewhere on GBATemp.

Last edited by MissingNO123,
Reactions: Ryccardo

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@MissingNO123
he stated he was very very VERY new at this - lists like this will just put people off and are seldom much help.
Also did not ask how to mod his wii, simply wants to update without internet. so you started "get the hackmii installer......" (this generally needs internet)

which leads me to........

@ImInsideTheMusic
you asked about "Updating a wii without an internet connection" and then go on to say "......I wanted it for was for Netflix streaming" - again, Netflix is internet dependant.

please don't take this wrong, I'm not having a go at either of you.

Simple answer is get connected to the internet, update, install and subscribe to Netflix - job done.
If you are at all interested in soft-modding your wii console then you're in the right place! simply read whats here and come back with sensible questions when / if you get stuck.
You'll find there's always someone willing to help :)

MissingNO123

Jigglypuff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@fatherjack
OP can't update via internet because of a weird catch-22 situation where they need an internet browser to log in to the wifi network, but in order to get the browser they need to update, which needs internet.

@ImInsideTheMusic
If you really don't want to mod, your options to update are to either insert a game disc that has the 4.3 update, or take the console somewhere else and use the internet there.
If you do use the disc update, I don't know how to go about getting the internet browser to download. You may be able to get away with using your phone hotspot, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Last edited by MissingNO123,
Reactions: fatherjack

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd say check your Wii system software by going to the settings.
Then note that down and "hack it"

You could use ModMii to update and "hack" the entire Wii offline.
ModMii downloads some update files for you Wii which will be of the latest update.

No fancy tricks here as you can just tell Modmii exactly what you want.

ImInsideTheMusic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your replies. Thought you might like to know the current status quo on this one - since you never know if anyone else will ever wind up in the kind of catch-22 I did.

I wound up going out and buying one of the games that had the 4.3 update on it. Found one at Gamestop for less than $10, which in the end was worth it even if the problem isn't *fully* solved.

The good? Well, I did get the 4.3 update, and got the Wii store working on the second try of updating (I guess the first one didn't take properly.) The Wii shop still required a second update that needed to be done via internet, but after getting the 4.3 update fully in, on the third try the Wii Shop updated via my phone's hotspot. I don't know *why* that finally worked, but it did. The Wii will now connect to my phone and stay connected. In fact, I downloaded the Internet Channel, Amazon Instant Video, and Netflix through my phone's hotspot.

The bad? I still can't get the darn thing to hook up to my building's wi-fi. Unlike every other device I own that uses a browser (laptops, phones, and tablets that I've connected), the Wii seems to want to "check the connection" in a way that it won't actually connect to the wi-fi so I *can* enter the passcode on the splash page.

I really really don't want to brick my Wii, but there came a point last night where I was getting so frustrated I actually debated whether or not to attempt modding it (this was prior to actually getting the Wii Shop to work). But on the off shot that it'll work, I'll ask this anyway.

*IF* I were to go the homebrew route - would it allow the Wii to bypass whatever check it's doing on the connection that's failing? I can only assume it tries to connect to some website for verification but the splash page redirects it and it thinks it's not connecting. I know this is a shot in the dark, and if so it just means the Wii remains as mainly a gaming system until the point comes where we move to someplace I can get proper internet (it's not an option here. Not complaining though because hey, free internet?)

jtvjan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you everyone for your replies. Thought you might like to know the current status quo on this one - since you never know if anyone else will ever wind up in the kind of catch-22 I did.

I wound up going out and buying one of the games that had the 4.3 update on it. Found one at Gamestop for less than $10, which in the end was worth it even if the problem isn't *fully* solved.

The good? Well, I did get the 4.3 update, and got the Wii store working on the second try of updating (I guess the first one didn't take properly.) The Wii shop still required a second update that needed to be done via internet, but after getting the 4.3 update fully in, on the third try the Wii Shop updated via my phone's hotspot. I don't know *why* that finally worked, but it did. The Wii will now connect to my phone and stay connected. In fact, I downloaded the Internet Channel, Amazon Instant Video, and Netflix through my phone's hotspot.

The bad? I still can't get the darn thing to hook up to my building's wi-fi. Unlike every other device I own that uses a browser (laptops, phones, and tablets that I've connected), the Wii seems to want to "check the connection" in a way that it won't actually connect to the wi-fi so I *can* enter the passcode on the splash page.

I really really don't want to brick my Wii, but there came a point last night where I was getting so frustrated I actually debated whether or not to attempt modding it (this was prior to actually getting the Wii Shop to work). But on the off shot that it'll work, I'll ask this anyway.

*IF* I were to go the homebrew route - would it allow the Wii to bypass whatever check it's doing on the connection that's failing? I can only assume it tries to connect to some website for verification but the splash page redirects it and it thinks it's not connecting. I know this is a shot in the dark, and if so it just means the Wii remains as mainly a gaming system until the point comes where we move to someplace I can get proper internet (it's not an option here. Not complaining though because hey, free internet?)

You first add the network like normal, and it fails to connect. Remember if it's in the first, second or third slot. Start up OfflineNetworkEnabler and select whatever network slot you remembered in the first step. Then open the internet channel and pass the capative portal. This worked for me to login to Wifi.

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't know whether this works.
Every wii disc has a system menu in it.Take a latest game wii disc and just insert it.If its not the latest,It tells you to update before playing.Hope it works.

Reactions: Hoppy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands