LastVillain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Hello!
I bought another 3ds (o3ds) and was confident that i can get a cfw running, but i've hit a wall when i realized that 2.2.0 is not hackable and that it doesn't have a browser.

So i started looking for a way to update it to 4.x.x but it seems like 9.0.0 will save me buying an additional ds cart(ps: i live in nowhere and can not find any stores that sell 3ds carts except for fifa15..., ds ones are available tho)

I found out that there's a way to update using download play so i downloaded Kirby planted robobot (retail ver) on my 1st 3dsxl but the 3ds wouldn't let me update.

Now i'm stuck between waiting for the new hack that 3ds.guide says that's going to be released for all versions (i dunno if i' ll need to update my o3ds to 11.5 for that)
Or wait till i'm traveling and then buy mh generations (11.3.0) and then update with it so i can use soundhax.

One last question :does the soundapp needs to be on a specific ver too? cuz i've read that the 3ds.guide is wrong and cart updates don't update that soundapp

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
does the soundapp needs to be on a specific ver too? cuz i've read that the 3ds.guide is wrong and cart updates don't update that soundapp
All correct, card updates to 9.x+ are counterproductive

Update to 4.x or 6.x instead, and use a DS flashcard to use the MSET exploit to run safeb9sinstaller.dat

Reactions: LastVillain

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are your options, from best to worst:
  • Do a cartridge update to either 4.X or 6.X. Then, use a compatible DS flashcart to use the MSET method to install B9S.
  • Do a cartridge update to 9.0-11.3 (preferably 9.0-11.0 for more options). Then, use one of these alternative methods (Step 12) to install B9S.
  • Update to 11.5 and do the DSiWare method to install B9S. It requires, among other things, that you do a system transfer from a 3DS that already has CFW.
  • Perform a hardmod (requires soldering) to install B9S.

LastVillain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Thanks for your quick reply's.

It seems 4.x 6.x route is best after all. Can you give me more info about the ds flashcart? Is it just any ds game that works on my 3ds or is there more to it than that?

Last edited by LastVillain,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your quick reply's.

It seems 4.x 6.x route is best after all. Can you give me more info about the ds flashcart? Is it just any ds game that works on my 3ds or are there more to it than that?
A DS flashcart is a device typically used to load and play downloaded DS games (not 3DS games) from a microSD card. It looks like a normal DS cartridge, but it isn't one. Just about anything on nds-card.com will work if it's a DS flashcart advertised to work on 11.5. There are some there that are $9 or $10, not counting the cost of a microSD card. They're extraordinarily easy to use.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Excuse me when I step in. You need a 3DS game or a 3DS game card like the Sky3ds as there is no update partition on a DS game for the 3DS as the 3DS/2DS did not exist when the DS game cart was developed.
This site http://www.3dsdb.com/ has a list of most if not all 3DS games/roms with the firmware listed. Sort the list by firmware and see what games have the desired firmware then buy the game or get a sky3ds and download a rom.

LastVillain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Excuse me when I step in. You need a 3DS game or a 3DS game card like the Sky3ds as there is no update partition on a DS game for the 3DS as the 3DS/2DS did not exist when the DS game cart was developed.
This site http://www.3dsdb.com/ has a list of most if not all 3DS games/roms with the firmware listed. Sort the list by firmware and see what games have the desired firmware then buy the game or get a sky3ds and download a rom.
Yea.. I did realize i have to get both at this point x)
That website will save me ton of work, thanks!

A DS flashcart is a device typically used to load and play downloaded DS games (not 3DS games) from a microSD card. It looks like a normal DS cartridge, but it isn't one. Just about anything on nds-card.com will work if it's a DS flashcart advertised to work on 11.5. There are some there that are $9 or $10, not counting the cost of a microSD card. They're extraordinarily easy to use.

Which one would you recommend me to get as i dont know the differences between different R4i's?

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Here are your options, from best to worst:
  • Do a cartridge update to either 4.X or 6.X. Then, use a compatible DS flashcart to use the MSET method to install B9S.
  • Do a cartridge update to 9.0-11.3 (preferably 9.0-11.0 for more options). Then, use one of these alternative methods (Step 12) to install B9S.
  • Update to 11.5 and do the DSiWare method to install B9S. It requires, among other things, that you do a system transfer from a 3DS that already has CFW.
  • Perform a hardmod (requires soldering) to install B9S.
Shouldn't soundhax work without browser?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't soundhax work without browser?
Soundhax only works with a newer version of the Nintendo 3DS Sound app, and cartridge updates don't update the Nintendo 3DS Sound app. In short, if one updates from a 3DS that's less than 7.0 using a cartridge, Soundhax will not work.

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The newer versions R4i flash cards are a DS/DSi flash card that work in the 3DS to play DS games and are not compatible with 3DS roms (.3dsx files)
You don't need a R4i as it wont work. You should be able to pickup a Sky3ds kinda cheep specifically if its the older red button or blue button. Blue or Orange button recommended though. Orange more recommended.
Only get a SD flash card if you want to play DS roms.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newer versions R4i flash cards are a DS/DSi flash card that work in the 3DS to play DS games and are not compatible with 3DS roms (.3dsx files)
You don't need a R4i as it wont work. You should be able to pickup a Sky3ds kinda cheep specifically if its the older red button or blue button. Blue or Orange button recommended though. Orange more recommended.
There's no reason to get a Sky3DS. If OP can update to 4.X or 6.X using a game cartridge, then all he needs is a cheap DS/DSi flashcart.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Soundhax only works with a newer version of the Nintendo 3DS Sound app, and cartridge updates don't update the Nintendo 3DS Sound app. In short, if one updates from a 3DS that's less than 7.0 using a cartridge, Soundhax will not work.

Yeah, I was assuming he can update to a soundhax working version. I just asked because afaik soundhax is the way to go if it's available (before alternative entrypoints or even dsiware).

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was assuming he can update to a soundhax working version. I just asked because afaik soundhax is the way to go if it's available (before alternative entrypoints or even dsiware).
OP's 3DS will never use Soundhax to install CFW. If he were to update to 9.0-11.3 using a game cartridge, the Nintendo 3DS Sound App would be on a version incompatible with Soundhax.

Reactions: Urbanshadow

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
3DS roms are .3DS files, .3dsx is for homebrew ;)
Yea.. I did realize i have to get both at this point x)
That website will save me ton of work, thanks!

Which one would you recommend me to get as i dont know the differences between different R4i's?
If you care about playing DS games at all (which you should, there are tons of great ones), then you should get the r4ids.cn R4i Gold as it's one of the best DS flashcarts on the market: http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149
Otherwise almost any DS flashcart will work, it just has to be 3DS compatible.

Reactions: Ryccardo and Lacius

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He doesn't need to update to 9.0-11.3. He can update to 8.1 and use NTR and Cubic Ninja .
Also @The Real Jdbye you are correct .3DS

Correction Update to 4.0-8.1 and use Installing boot9strap (Browser) for O3DS
or 4.0-6.1 and use Installing boot9strap (MSET)

Last edited by Natsuru,

LastVillain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
If you care about playing DS games at all (which you should, there are tons of great ones), then you should get the r4ids.cn R4i Gold as it's one of the best DS flashcarts on the market: http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149
Otherwise almost any DS flashcart will work, it just has to be 3DS compatible.

I certainly do, but what's the advantage over this one? http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507

EDIT :R4 SDHC Dual-Core 2017 for New 3DS /3DS V11.5/2DS/DSi/DS Lite/DS

Last edited by LastVillain,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He doesn't need to update to 9.0-11.3. He can update to 8.1 and use NTR and Cubic Ninja .
Also @The Real Jdbye you are correct .3DS

Correction Update to 4.0-8.1 and use Installing boot9strap (Browser) for O3DS
or 4.0-6.1 and use Installing boot9strap (MSET)
OP doesn't have a browser. Just about everything you've said in this thread demonstrates a misunderstanding of what's going on. OP, do not listen to these posts by SirECK.

Last edited by Lacius,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I certainly do, but what's the advantage over this one? http://nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=507
- No time bomb (cart stops working after 1-2 years and you need a kernel update to make it work again unless you want to keep setting the time back)
- Official Wood R4, not a clone version. This doesn't matter too much these days as carts are no longer updated much but it used to mean that it received updates faster especially when Nintendo released a new update to block DS flashcarts, they would have a patch for it within days.
- RTS support.
- You know you're getting a good cart that will run 99.9% of games perfectly with no issues.
- Possibly support for ntrboothax in the future. There hasn't really been any mention of R4i Gold support for ntrboothax but seeing as it's the most popular DS flashcart these days it would be dumb not to support it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sorry didnt read that part