Homebrew Updates about nesDS...

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What can I do to get a reasonable scaling. The touch screen scaling is nearly impossible to adjust without getting distorted pixels. I can't get it to stay after a reboot either, so even when I find a good scale I can live with, I have to fiddle with it everytime I start it up. Can I set it to be static in the config file somehow?

Edit: Figured it out. When I get the resolution I want, save nesds.ini in settings. I was already doing that, but for some reason when I start after a reboot the scaling is glitched a little along the bottom, found if I close ds and open again after loading the rom it looks right again, and scaling how I left it.

Last edited by Benja81,
D

Deleted User

There are two compiled Nesds Versions included in the release folder of the latest Github update 5. February from coto. The Mario Bros games, Zelda and Metroid work pretty well for me. I couldn´t spot much of a difference so i decided to uploade both Versions.

Attachments

• nesDS-wifiudp.zip
    275.2 KB · Views: 425
  • nesDS-nifi.zip
    275.2 KB · Views: 377
Reactions: Benja81

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are two compiled Nesds Versions included in the release folder of the latest Github update 5. February from coto. The Mario Bros games, Zelda and Metroid work pretty well for me. I couldn´t spot much of a difference so i decided to uploade both Versions.
Thanks! I figured out what the issue was and how to make it work for me. I turned on show all pixels and that allows part of the screen to show on the bottom screen, which allows proper scaling. This is best NES emulator on DS/3DS.

Last edited by Benja81,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
well the wifi-udp is an experiment that actually works and desyncs very fast... udp netplay. Plus breaks some NESDS sound channel due to how the IPC handles (too fast) the actual queue from the other processor.

I am actually trying to do the DS scanline "sync" on both consoles, like any local ds multiplayer game would do. half success since local "nifi" was a bit improved by only processing crc´d frames, so no more corrupted frames, but that is just the beggining

Note this is more "complex" than plain cable link emulation (gba multiplayer, SIO Normal Mode as seen in http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#sionormalmode) should work, I haven´t tried such feature, for well gbaemus.)

Last edited by Coto,

Cratty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a problem on my ds2plus nesds where the FDS rom just doesn't load except the graphics or anything after startup of the FDS. It's just sound and if I can have some help, thanks.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
For those who might care I made NesDS compatible with TWL mode on DSi/3DS (so you can use this without a slot-1 device):

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NesDS

Note it has limitations. First off Wifi stuff probably won't work (because I think devkitarm still doesn't have TWL mode wifi libraries available yet) and due to the memory limits on arm9 imposed by r46 devkitarm I had to adust memory.s to reserve less space for roms. So any rom larger then 512KB or so will probably fail to boot.

I'm sure this could be resolved, but the memory management has to be reworked to account for TWL mode ram availability/quirks with how r46 devkitarm compiles things. Aside from that it sems to run stuff like Mario 3 just fine. :P

Oh and I've also stripped out the custom fat library this is using. Not sure why it's using this over what's included in devkitarm. But it breaks SD access on DSi/3DS in twl mode (the target platform on this build) so I just removed the "disk" folder entirely from the source. Seems to do fine without it.

Fixing the arm9 ram issues for latest devkitarm is not something I can do. Whom ever is maintaining that version of NesDS that I forked would probably have to be the one to do it.

Also note my build is only meant for TWL mode application. It is NOT suitable for NTR mode flashcarts. use the original builds for that as they won't have gimped memory settings. :P

EDIT: Latest commit fixes the memory issue properly. However the program will no longer boot in NTR mode. So this remains a TWL exclusive build. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For those who might care I made NesDS compatible with TWL mode on DSi/3DS (so you can use this without a slot-1 device):

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/NesDS

Note it has limitations. First off Wifi stuff probably won't work (because I think devkitarm still doesn't have TWL mode wifi libraries available yet) and due to the memory limits on arm9 imposed by r46 devkitarm I had to adust memory.s to reserve less space for roms. So any rom larger then 512KB or so will probably fail to boot.

I'm sure this could be resolved, but the memory management has to be reworked to account for TWL mode ram availability/quirks with how r46 devkitarm compiles things. Aside from that it sems to run stuff like Mario 3 just fine. [emoji14]

Oh and I've also stripped out the custom fat library this is using. Not sure why it's using this over what's included in devkitarm. But it breaks SD access on DSi/3DS in twl mode (the target platform on this build) so I just removed the "disk" folder entirely from the source. Seems to do fine without it.

Fixing the arm9 ram issues for latest devkitarm is not something I can do. Whom ever is maintaining that version of NesDS that I forked would probably have to be the one to do it.

Also note my build is only meant for TWL mode application. It is NOT suitable for NTR mode flashcarts. use the original builds for that as they won't have gimped memory settings. [emoji14]

EDIT: Latest commit fixes the memory issue properly. However the program will no longer boot in NTR mode. So this remains a TWL exclusive build. ;)
Sorry for the bump, but when I try yo run it on both 4swordshax and sudokuhax I get guru meditation screen. What could it be?

Edit: The issue is only present on 1.3d, 1.3c works fine.

Edit2: Welp, I compiled it from source code and now it works, perhaps the 1.3d build on releases is broken

Last edited by Billy Acuña,

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with it. The issue is with 4swordshax. It can't run newer homebrew due to not parsing the DSi extended headers and this leads me to believe you are running hbmenu 0.5 which can't parse them either. Update hbmenu to 0.6 and try it again from sudokuhax. Note though that hbmenu 0.6 does not currently work with 4swordshax as yellows8 still has not provided a compiled binary with that support. (I had long since pushed a pull request that fixed it on it's github repo. He merged it, but it's not in a release binary yet)

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is nothing wrong with it. The issue is with 4swordshax. It can't run newer homebrew due to not parsing the DSi extended headers and this leads me to believe you are running hbmenu 0.5 which can't parse them either. Update hbmenu to 0.6 and try it again from sudokuhax. Note though that hbmenu 0.6 does not currently work with 4swordshax as yellows8 still has not provided a compiled binary with that support. (I had long since pushed a pull request that fixed it on it's github repo. He merged it, but it's not in a release binary yet)
I compiled lastest 4swordshax and postes binaries around here, anyways I managed to use lastest NesDS TWL Edition :)
Thanks for your work @Apache Thunder :yaynds:

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried running the compiled version of nesDS TWL edition that was uploaded, it didn't work, but compiling it myself did for some reason.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
restore/fix the stock NesDS 1.3c sources:

https://github.com/cotodevel/NesDS

The older sources were kind of messed up, so the master branch has proper devkitarm r43 sources that use default libfat/dswifi and uses the custom nifi handler routine required for NesDS1.3c to work.

If you forked earlier NesDS please delete your fork and fork again. Master is the only branch you need.

Last edited by Coto,

Dexo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This emulator is fantastic, I was trying some Famicom Disk System games and they all work perfect, the only problem is when I apply patches with translations, in the case of the game Ai Senshi Nicol the emulator shows the loading screen of the disk and then the message of nintendo and then go back to the previous screen again, does anyone know how can i fix this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte