Updates about nesDS...

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by huiminghao, Mar 12, 2011.

1. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    glad to see an update just when i was to download a nes emulator for the ds

thank you. continue your good work

2. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Curious, is the updated build of nesDS on filetrip now?

3. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    I am getting alot of those on my DS2 as well. All of my patches were applied before i put them on the SD and i use Luna .IPS . I have downgraded back to a older version for now. Thank you for the effort though.

4. masterz87

masterz87 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 21, 2013
    United States
    OK is any plans at all to add more data on the address line? I mean yeah I know that you don't exactly have a ton of space but it makes it really hard to add cheats to it as I'm only given 12bits of precision for the addresses, which means adding fceux cheats which this one seems to do similarly are near impossible, that and in addition the way the cheats are stored(binary file), makes it so that applying cheats is very hard to really do.

As far as what others have said for me it's just kid icarus that i've found thusfar, I don't know about the rest of you but that game only doesn't run with the latest one. i tried half a dozen others with my dstwo.

edit: i'm a stupid, you're only touching the internal ram on the NES whereas kidicarus and I imagine quite a lot of other games are using external ram to store a lot of things. So thisi should be changed to allow you to search past the NES ram to the SRAM.

5. drakorex

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Unfortunately the new update still won't work with my DSTWO after the initial boot, just gives me white screens. Guess I'm stuck with good old 0.5a2... Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Just checked the ini before even running it, there's all kinds of "ÊÇ·ñÇл»A¡¢B¼üµÄ¹¦ÄÜ". Is it supposed to be like that?

6. huiminghao
    OP

huiminghao GBAtemp Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Switzerland
    Ive checked/debugged the code of FCEUX in the last few days, about ppu and mmc5.
    I found that the mmc5 is almost embedded to ppu core, and there are some hacks in mmc5 functionality. All of them make it hard to emu the tricks.
    I played the Rom City Rampage, pretty well on FCEUX. When debugged on FCEUX, I cannot even locate the CHR TILE of the first title screen. Out off my knowledge of NES EMU.....
    I'd say the MMC5 is too powerful and I'm afraid the games with mmc5 wont work well on nesDS.

Coto likes this.
  7. 77Urmel77

77Urmel77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2013
    Germany
    Guru Errors? Same here with a DS2. I tried a few roms with the new version but only about 50% work though the older version could handle them.

One funny thing worth to mention is that the German Maniac Mansion gives out a Guru and the US one doesn't.

I'm changing back to the older version now. But don't get me wrong I really like to see that this is still work in progress. :)

8. jedivulcan

jedivulcan Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2013
    Taiwan
    I'm getting Guru Errors on my R4i 3DS while trying different Famicom Disk System games. On 1.3a, I'd hear the boot sound with no visuals.

9. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Huiminghao: There must be some way of keeping the progress you made with MMC5 and leave the old functionality intact. If you could manage that - I would be more than happy.

/d-ace

10. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011
    So I had some time to investigate the latest source of nesDS and it turns out - it seems to be OK!

You can't rely on the version 'nesDS_latest.tar.gz' downloadable from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/nesds/files/nesDS_latest.tar.gz/download
    That version is going to MALFUNCTION.

Instead, you have to download the LATEST source AND replace the two files 'stepdebug.c' and 'subscreen.c' with the corresponding ones from version 1.3a - then make your own build.

I'm sure about the file 'stepdebug.c' - the changes in that file can lead to crashes for games that worked properly with version 1.3a, but since the modifications in 'subscreen.c' is most likely to display data gathered by the changes in 'stepdebug.c' - you might as well replace that file also.

This will (hopefully) give you a version that is fully compatible with 1.3a AND can play 'Zelda - The Legend of Link'!

I will test all my NES roms carfully and report if I find any game that breaks BUT I feel quite confident I will not find any......knock on wood...

/d-ace

11. drakorex

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Could you please link your version? I don't have a compiling environment set up and would like to see if this version will work on my DSTWO, as the latest version whitescreens after the first boot.

12. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

Give this a try: http://filetrip.net/dl?qeLcMER60S

I am 100% certain this version works on a dsTWO (I have this card myself) so if this give you white-screens your sd-card propably needs a re-formatting.

Please revert back when you downloaded the special build and your test-results, did all games you try work correctly (that did work OK with version 1.3a)?

/d-ace

XDel, esmjanus and VatoLoco like this.
  13. drakorex

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    That didn't do it. First time, it boots just fine, second time I get white screen as soon as I start the emulator. What cluster size do you have, or does that make a difference? Something got changed after 0.52a that makes it do this for me.

14. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

I have done nothing special with my sd card. Formatted it FAT with windows (Vista) and then runned SD formatter 3.1.

If this does not work - you will have to buy a new sd card, because the nesDS version 1.3a (and 1.3b) SHOULD work.

EDIT: I have successfully completed the game that crashed before (when I did not exclude the two files mentioned earlier from the build) and another two. Also played an additional two for a considerable time and no crashes have occured.

Huiminghao: Please make a note to either fix OR revert the two files (stepdebug.c and subscreen.c) for the next official release.

/d-ace

15. _47iscool

_47iscool GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2013
    United States
    I still can't get fds to work. I have the required bios file and all I hear is the fds start up and then an error. Also the screen is black, no picture.

16. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

And your FDS games worked correctly in 1.3a?

Remember - if you had problems with 1.3a, you WILL HAVE THE SAME problems with 1.3b!

The ONLY difference should be that 1.3b plays the hack 'Zelda - the Legend of Link'.

/d-ace

17. nitendo

nitendo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2011

There is NO problem with FDS in 1.3a (and 1.3b) - you just have to make sure the files have the correct header.

Take a look at this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-fds-roms-for-nesds.352987/

Please make sure your bug reports are RELEVANT before posting.

/d-ace

_47iscool likes this.
  18. _47iscool

_47iscool GBAtemp Regular

Nov 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I added the extra 16 bytes but I still got an error. Turns out my ROMs were overdumped. All good though as I found the correct ones.

19. Sporty824

Sporty824 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2014
    United States
    Hey, so I downloaded NesDS about aweek ago and it has been great. I just would like to know if there is a way to save input settings. I would rather have the the a and b buttons be a and b with x and y being the turbo buttons. The BA Swap works fine but is there a way to save it so it always does that and I don't have to reset it every time I open the emulator?

20. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Aghhhh, so here is where the alt version was hiding. Now I can finally play Zelda - The Legend of Link on the (3)DSXL