[UPDATED] Tempmas 2016 competition vote

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Jan 3, 2017.

1. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Hey that's actually pretty darn good of an idea! It could easily get spoiled by you simply telling someone which yours is though.

Issac and Chary like this.

2. Wii dUde

Wii dUde Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2014
    United States
    Yeah I wrote that thinking that if you were browsing this form chances are you'd have those things. But yeah I'm aware some people don't and i probably shouldn't have said that.

3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Well, my comment was sarcarstic. I do have food in my fridge, it's just all expired.

Wii dUde likes this.
  4. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Might wanna get on that, eating is important :P

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    sad to hear.

has anything like this happened during temp contests in the past?

6. Ericzander

Ericzander I used hax to get yellow name

pip Reporter
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    This is actually what I wanted. Or at the very least remove our names from the videos and scramble them up. I'm surprised they went this route and I'm also surprised and irritated about this situation.

As Chary said before, maybe we need a front page thread to discuss if Russia hacked the Tempmas vote.

7. TheMemeGuy

TheMemeGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2017
    Canada
    Honestly, the idea of collaborating is genius,but if you told who you voted it would be ruined as the one who's friend told that he voted for a specific person would follow that same friend and in short anyone can spoil it by spreading who they voted which will make all of the tempers vote for this temper

8. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Thank god the voting if being recounted. There was way too much "hey vote for me and i'll do something for you" or "vote for me plz I want that switch" stuff. It's a shame people had to ruin this. GG everyone

9. iAqua

iAqua Shadow of Dark.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    I assure you I was not paid by Russia to rig the competition.

Last edited by iAqua, Jan 7, 2017
    x65943 likes this.
  10. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    This voting thread and all voting threads on gbatemp are doomed to fail from the beginning because people can view results before the poll is complete. That obviously affects how people vote. If someone sees a person or topic they would choose not doing well, then obviously they're gonna choose something else so their vote matters. Also, why were people who participated in the contest allowed to vote? If I were a contestant, I would vote for myself, and then vote for 4 others who did the WORST or who has the least chance of winning. Why in the hell would they vote for anyone who would did better than them if they wanted to win. Kinda naive to believe people over the Internet are honorable?

@Ericzander I want sanctions on all gbatemp members with Russian I.P. Addresses asap. It's either the Russians or @VinsCool, more like VinsGuilty!

11. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    Whoawhoawhaowhoa-
    Hold yer horses, there! I leave for a few hours and this happens?
    Well, I guess with all our complaining, we kinda pushed our authority back onto those in charge, even when they gave us this chance.
    That was fun! Still sucks it had to come to this, but at least something is being done. Sad it isn't by us who were given the right, but rather we handed it right back to them.
    If this is what needed to happen, then I am glad. Everything happens for a reason, guys.
    Still, I am glad to be part of this experience! Good luck, Costello and your gang. May your decisions be the will of God!

12. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    The new voting process is all the contestants names go in a hat. @p1ngpongs cat picks the winner.

TotalInsanity4, Sicklyboy and VinLark like this.
  13. VinLark

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    I agree!

14. VinsCool

VinsCool Definitely Insane

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Dreams and Thoughts
    Why me? :'(

VinLark likes this.
  15. VinLark

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Canada is always up to something

always

16. AaronUzumaki

AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

Feb 8, 2009
    United States
    Akron, Ohio
    Well, that's sad to hear. The way you're handling it seems reasonable though and hopefully, the person who would've won in an honest world still wins in a segregated one. I'm sure the staff will crown the right person! Good luck again, everyone! :yay:

17. Varon12

Varon12 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2016
    Canada
    Spider Skull Island
    If voting strategically that would be the way to go but speaking for myself you probably want to hope that people would vote honestly after viewing the others. People will always be biased towards their own products due to pride and effort and a want to win the prize. Basic classroom politics says people always assume that they have their own best interests in mind.

18. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    It was clear that this would happen. I mean it's gbatemp after all.
    In addition to that it was stupid to let the participants vote (which is the reason why I didn't participate in the voting). They will always find their own video the best and the main goal/reason to participate is the switch.

19. Cylent1

Cylent1 Community Smart Ass!

Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    OH WOW!
    I bet the Russians had something to do with this...

20. BLsquared

BLsquared Game Programmer

Nov 25, 2012
    United States
    We can bash the admins all we want, and blame them for this, but in reality it is our fault things turned out this way.
    Yes, people are biased towards themselves. But to be honest, I think they were right in thinking that, even though we can vote ourselves up(what, 5 points max?), the true winner would rise up and such points would be negligible. This even seemed to be the case! The difference amongst most of the top 5 was much more than that; it did not matter.
    The real issue, or rather what we made the issue, was our own misdeeds and fraud we ourselves committed in a greedy grab at the prize. Should the admins have anticipated this? Maybe they did, but rather put their trust and faith in us, the community, to make the right decision. And what did we do?
    We took advantage of the chance and fought over this as children. We unfortunately proved to them we cannot be trusted, which is fine, but not their fault.
    So we need to accept responsibility for what we have done. And I myself apologize for my own behavior not being the best either.
    What ever you guys choose, I'm fine with! I'm just so sorry it came to this.

VinLark and ThunderbInazuma like this.