Unreal Engine 4 is now fully supported by the Nintendo Switch

lol.jpg

Epic Games, behind the monumental Unreal Engine, have released full and complete UE4 support for the Nintendo Switch. The previous version, 4.15, only consisted of experimental support for it, however, the latest update, 4.16, fixes that.

After launching early support for Nintendo Switch development in February’s Unreal Engine 4.15 release, Epic is proud to announce fully-featured native support for the popular platform in Unreal Engine 4.16.

Epic Games has teamed up with Nintendo to release the full Unreal Engine 4 source code for Nintendo Switch to approved developers for free! After launching experimental support for Nintendo Switch development in February’s Unreal Engine 4.15 release, Epic is proud to announce fully-featured native support for the popular platform in Unreal Engine 4.16.

Epic also mentions that those with Nintendo Switch developer status can see the "full range" of features, through their exclusive forums.

1. Become an approved Nintendo Switch developer at: https://developer.nintendo.com/.
  2. Complete the Console Development Request UE4 form. If you’re already accessing Unreal Engine 4 through a custom license or direct evaluation, email your Epic licensing contact for more information.
  3. Once your Nintendo Switch developer status has been confirmed, Epic will send you an electronic Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) via Docusign. Once it’s signed, you’ll receive an email containing instructions for accessing UE4 code and tools for Nintendo Switch.
  4. You’ll also gain access to the exclusive UE4 Nintendo Switch forum to interact with the new community.
  5. Once you’ve received source access, you’ll need to compile the code for the Nintendo Switch platform.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't listen to foxi4, hes just a hater and wants to put a downer on it all because hes spent hundreds on a high spec PC for performance measures/reasons! its fantastic news for some great games on the horizon.
I don't have a gaming PC. My only PC is my laptop which I use for work, its specs are well under what a PS3 could achieve on a bad day. Console-wise I own both the Switch and the Wii U, in addition to my XBO, my PS4 and my PS4 Pro as far as current gens are concerned, so if anyone has a clear and unbiased view of the home console sector, it'd be me.
The previous benchmark for most powerful portable console was Vita, and Switch at least beats out PS3 on the home console scale. Tablets are defined by, well, being tablets without controllers included or an OS built for gaming. Of course, quality titles developed for Switch could potentially be beneficial to the mobile market in the future.
The Switch is effectively a Tegra tablet with detachable controllers and a pittance of RAM, we both know that. Running UE logic is great, however it's the assets that might turn out to be a hurdle for most AAA productions. I don't know why you're mentioning the PS3 which is an over a decade old console - the weakest console this generation (besides the Wii U since it's discontinued) is the XBO, and the Switch doesn't even reach half of its raw calculation capabilities. As much as I hate to say it, you can't magic polygons into existence. AAA games already perform poorly on the XBO, if they were to work on the Switch at all, quality would have to drop significantly to make up for the shortcomings of the hardware. Whether that's feasible it's up to the devs of each particular game, but at the very least the Switch will see some UE4 indies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Switch is effectively a Tegra tablet with detachable controllers and a pittance of RAM, we both know that.
Figuratively speaking yeah, but it's more powerful than Nvidia's last gaming tablet, and significantly more powerful than the most recent Sony portable console. The distinction is important to make because otherwise we start needlessly comparing gaming laptops to PS4/XB1 and stuff like that. Switch is definitely in the console market, even if it doesn't meet some arbitrary standard for current gen power. I don't think anybody even knows what the current gen encompasses any more.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Figuratively speaking yeah, but it's more powerful than Nvidia's last gaming tablet, and significantly more powerful than the most recent Sony portable console. The distinction is important to make because otherwise we start needlessly comparing gaming laptops to PS4/XB1 and stuff like that. Switch is definitely in the console market, even if it doesn't meet some arbitrary standard for current gen power. I don't think anybody even knows what the current gen encompasses any more.
I disagree. There's nothing "figurative" about it, it's literally a Tegra tablet. The Pixel C is running on the same SoC IIRC, so it's safe to say that mobile will overtake the Switch in the foreseeable future. Last gen was defined by PPC (even the PS3's CELL CPU had a PowerPC-based PPE), this gen is defined by x86. Both of Nintendo's competitors released machines adhering to a PC-like architecture, only Nintendo is the odd one out with a low-power ARM console, and the only one powered by NVidia at that. This can go one of two ways - either it will be embraced like the Wii or neglected like the Wii U, the jury is still out on that. That's a whole different can of worms though, no point in opening it here.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. There's nothing "figurative" about it, it's literally a Tegra tablet.
Then it would "literally" be Android or iOS-based and run mobile shovelware (or emulators for older systems) instead of full games like those released for Nintendo's previous console. It really doesn't matter what the theoretical power of smartphones/tablets is, as they get no worthwhile content except ports which are better experienced on other platforms. Let me know when you trade your PS4 in for a Google phone and then maybe it's time to start taking mobile gaming seriously. Until then there are obvious lines between consoles and the mobile market, whether you choose to remain blind to them or not. Older consoles didn't suddenly get their consolehood revoked when smartphones and tablets surpassed them in power.

Last edited by Xzi,

death360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as I want to stay positive about this news and the future of great third party support Foxi4 is right the switch will end up getting downports or Indies. I wouldnt mind seeing a port or a new from the ground up unreal tournament just for the switch.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't have a gaming PC. My only PC is my laptop which I use for work, its specs are well under what a PS3 could achieve on a bad day. Console-wise I own both the Switch and the Wii U, in addition to my XBO, my PS4 and my PS4 Pro as far as current gens are concerned, so if anyone has a clear and unbiased view of the home console sector, it'd be me.
If you own a Switch then show some love & support and stop being so negative about it all! we don't want to here unbiased views we want positivity.
I disagree. There's nothing "figurative" about it, it's literally a Tegra tablet. The Pixel C is running on the same SoC IIRC, so it's safe to say that mobile will overtake the Switch in the foreseeable future. Last gen was defined by PPC (even the PS3's CELL CPU had a PowerPC-based PPE), this gen is defined by x86. Both of Nintendo's competitors released machines adhering to a PC-like architecture, only Nintendo is the odd one out with a low-power ARM console, and the only one powered by NVidia at that. This can go one of two ways - either it will be embraced like the Wii or neglected like the Wii U, the jury is still out on that. That's a whole different can of worms though, no point in opening it here.
Hes off with those unbiased views again...

Edit: I'm only having a bit of banter with you, you know I luv you foxi don't take it personally!

Last edited by Reecey,

farmin

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Then it would "literally" be Android or iOS-based and run mobile shovelware (or emulators for older systems) instead of full games like those released for Nintendo's previous console. It really doesn't matter what the theoretical power of smartphones/tablets is, as they get no worthwhile content except ports which are better experienced on other platforms. Let me know when you trade your PS4 in for a Google phone and then maybe it's time to start taking mobile gaming seriously. Until then there are obvious lines between consoles and the mobile market, whether you choose to remain blind to them or not. Older consoles didn't suddenly get their consolehood revoked when smartphones and tablets surpassed them in power.
Yeah this.
"Literally" a tablet is a portable multimedia device with focus on everyday computing, no physical controls and a woeful selection of games.
I really don't think mobile will ever be capable of completely replacing dedicated gaming consoles until the quality of games has drasically risen.
The switch does nothing but play games with a focus on physical controls, if that's not a game console I don't know what is.

Reactions: Xzi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah this.
"Literally" a tablet is a portable multimedia device with focus on everyday computing, no physical controls and a woeful selection of games.
I really don't think mobile will ever be capable of completely replacing dedicated gaming consoles until the quality of games has drasically risen.
The switch does nothing but play games with a focus on physical controls, if that's not a game console I don't know what is.
"Tablet" is a form-factor. The Switch is a tablet. I don't know why people are getting uppity about a statement that's blatantly true. It even runs on tablet-grade hardware, there's no argument to be had here. That doesn't make it a bad system, just a tad underpowered compared to the competition.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Tablet" is a form-factor. The Switch is a tablet. I don't know why people are getting uppity about a statement that's blatantly true. It even runs on tablet-grade hardware, there's no argument to be had here. That doesn't make it a bad system, just a tad underpowered compared to the competition.

Still more powerful than the Wii U, so there's that I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte