Homebrew Unlink my NNID from my N3DS without losing content?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Good day there.

The question is simple,
I just want to be able to unlink my NNID account from my New 3DS without having to delete my entire downloaded content. Make it via CFW or whatever.

I know formatting the console unlinks the NNID from the device, but I want to avoid having to lose all of the games installed in the system, as well as homebrew CIAs and saves.

Anyone knows how I can do that?

Starboy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Even i asked the same question and you can delete it with godmode9, the instructions are in the 3ds guide faq section i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You are right.
Here's the site:
https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting.html

And here's the portion related to Removing the NNID:

3DS Guide said:
Removing an NNID without formatting your device
What you need
Instructions
  1. Copy GodMode9.firm from the GodMode9 .zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card
  2. Boot your device while holding (Start) to launch the Luma3DS chainloader menu
  3. Launch GodMode9 by pressing (A)
  4. Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> data -> (32 Character ID) -> sysdata -> 00010038
  5. Hold down the (R) trigger, then press (X) on 00000000 to rename this file
  6. Press (Up) once to change the name to 10000000
  7. Press (A) to save changes
  8. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND writing, then input the key combo given
  9. Navigate back to the Main Menu
  10. Press (Start) to reboot your device

Thanks dude!

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Does this actually work?

Cause I was advised that even though NNID will be removed but it is only on the console, Nintendo server side it will still think the removed NNID is still linked to the console.

I dunno if that makes sense?

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Does this actually work?

Cause I was advised that even though NNID will be removed but it is only on the console, Nintendo server side it will still think the removed NNID is still linked to the console.

I dunno if that makes sense?
This just delete the actual NNID that your console has configured without the need of formatting (allowing to create/configure a new one), but that NNID always remains server-side associated/linked to that specific console. NNID will be really unlinked until you perform a transfer between consoles or you call to Nintendo asking for that.

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
This just delete the actual NNID that your console has configured without the need of formatting (allowing to create/configure a new one), but that NNID always remains server-side associated/linked to that specific console. NNID will be really unlinked until you perform a transfer between consoles or you call to Nintendo asking for that.

So, it is something like this:

1. Bought a pre-own 3DS. Has previous owner NNID.
2. Previous owner cannot recall anything, went MIA soon after.
3. Called Ninty but no dice (I tried).
4. NNID on pre-owned 3DS (example) is XYZ.
5. Removed NNID "XYZ" on 3DS via GM9. Success!
6. 3DS can now be linked with a brand new NNID.

However, XYZ can no longer be used on any 3DS system as it is still linked to pre-owned console from Nintendo but it shouldn't matter cause previous owner is MIA and XYZ will never ever be used again anyway. And the only way XYZ can ever be used again is by a system transfer?

Did I got that down?

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
5. Removed NNID "XYZ" on 3DS via GM9. Success!
Via GM9 or via formatting the console, as you prefer, yeah.

However, XYZ can no longer be used on any 3DS system as it is still linked to pre-owned console from Nintendo but it shouldn't matter cause previous owner is MIA and XYZ will never ever be used again anyway
Yes. The XYZ NNID still remains associated to your console, but it never will be used when was deleted, because you don't possibly know (or remember) the username and password though. Just for that

And the only way XYZ can ever be used again is by a system transfer?
Once be the XYZ NNID deleted from the console, and while a transfer between consoles was not performed, the only way it can be used again would be deleting the actual NNID and configuring the access to XYZ again (that is, entering the username and password associated to that XYZ account), because XYZ is still linked to the console.

Remember that all NNIDs configured on a same console remain linked "forever" by Nintendo server-side. If you perform a transfer between consoles, those NNIDs will be linked to the new console on that specific moment (not only the old XYZ, but all of them)

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: defunct32

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Remember that all NNIDs configured on a same console remain linked "forever" by Nintendo server-side. If you perform a transfer between consoles, those NNIDs will be linked to the new console on that specific moment (not only the old XYZ, but all of them)

Thank you.

1. Once XYZ has been removed from pre-owned 3DS, the only way to unlink (completely/100% from Ninty's server) is to login with XYZ and unlink it or call up Nintendo.

2. Even though I already have a new NNID setup (ABC for example) on this pre-own console if I ever did a transfer the NNID will be reverted to XYZ instead of ABC because Ninty's server still thinks that XYZ is associated, is that right?

Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around Nintendo's convoluted online account management, haha.

Last edited by defunct32,

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
1. Once XYZ has been removed from pre-owned 3DS, the only way to unlink (completely/100% from Ninty's server) is to login with XYZ and unlink it or call up Nintendo.
  • (Staying) login with XYZ and performing a total NNID account deletion process (this unlink and delete permanently the XYZ account from both the console and Nintendo servers forever).
  • Calling to Nintendo or performing a transfer between consoles too (to use the XYZ and all the other associated NNID until that moment on a new console).
But if you aren't the original owner of the XYZ account and you don't need it at all, it doesn't really matter. Just with a simple remove process (via formatting the console or via GM9) you'll be fine.

PS:
Sorry, just trying to wrap my head around Nintendo's convoluted online account management, haha.
Don't worry. Indeed is an stupid and akward Nintendo policy about NNID management. It should be more simple/flexible. But, is what there is.

PS2: remove NNID != delete NNID. My bad, sorry :lol:

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: defunct32

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
  • (Staying) login with XYZ and performing a total NNID account deletion process (this unlink and delete permanently the XYZ account from both the console and Nintendo servers forever).
  • Calling to Nintendo or performing a transfer between consoles too (to use the XYZ and all the other associated NNID until that moment on a new console).
But if you aren't the original owner of the XYZ account and you don't need it at all, it doesn't really matter. Just with a simple remove process (via formatting the console or via GM9) you'll be fine.

PS:

Don't worry. Indeed is an stupid and akward Nintendo policy about NNID management. It should be more simple/flexible. But, is what there is.

PS2: remove NNID != delete NNID. My bad, sorry :lol:

Thank you, I get the gist of it. Unfortunately, I have tried to format the New 2DS XL but it asks for the NNID password. To be honest I can totally ignore this since CFW has everything I need and more, but using the handheld with another user account active with their Mii character just rubs me the wrong way, like I paid for it but still there are traces of the previous owner.

It's only convoluted because you want to keep playing games associated with an account that you don't have access to. :-P

Ninty need to take a leaf out of Sony and tie all their games to the user's account and not to the console to be honest. :P

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, I have tried to format the New 2DS XL but it asks for the NNID password.
Huh. That's a problem. And Nintendo couldn't help you with that?

Ninty need to take a leaf out of Sony and tie all their games to the user's account and not to the console to be honest.
Well, the games are tied to the user's account. The point is, if he remembered his info, whoever sold you this unit could buy another console, call up Nintendo, and get his NNID attached to the new unit.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So in other words. My NNID is still attached to that 3DS even after using Godmode? Like can other NNID be used on that 3DS or what?

defunct32

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Huh. That's a problem. And Nintendo couldn't help you with that?

I had to ask a friend who resides in the US to help me call in cause I'm not from the US, he mentioned the Nintendo rep asked the following:

1. The birthdate that the device registered. I only got May 5th but not the birth year, the previous owner went MIA so I can't get the answer.

2. The last purchased from eShop... uh no idea but even if I did know she will insist on the exact full birthdate.

Seems like buying a 2DS/3DS from someone else is not a valid reason with Nintendo for some reason. I dunno.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1