Homebrew [Unity] HedgePhysics New 3DS - Sonic R

Alerdyy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is the wrong spot, it seems this subforum is more for homebrew, CFW, and emulator questions, but I couldn't find a better subforum. If there is a better place to post this, I will delete it.

COMMON2.png

HedgePhysics is a 3D Sonic engine made in Unity, with support for lots of thing like enemies, spindashing, the homing attack, rolling, etc. It is a really great, accurate engine overall. Because Unity officially supports the New 3DS, I spent a few days porting the engine to New 3DS. Then, I imported all 5 of the Sonic R stages that you can access through a mediocre level select screen. Overall, it's really fun to play around in these levels, and they look pretty decent in 3D!

Controls:
Circle Pad/D-Pad - Move
A - Spindash
R - Roll
B- Jump/Airdash
Start - Return to level select

In the future I will probably use this engine to make a short, fun 3D Sonic game for 3DS, so stay tuned!

Because this uses the official SDK with Unity for New 3DS, I cannot share the download link here, but if you look around, I'm sure you will find it! ;)

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is the wrong spot, it seems this subforum is more for homebrew, CFW, and emulator questions, but I couldn't find a better subforum. If there is a better place to post this, I will delete it.

View attachment 103517

HedgePhysics is a 3D Sonic engine made in Unity, with support for lots of thing like enemies, spindashing, the homing attack, rolling, etc. It is a really great, accurate engine overall. Because Unity officially supports the New 3DS, I spent a few days porting the engine to New 3DS. Then, I imported all 5 of the Sonic R stages that you can access through a mediocre level select screen. Overall, it's really fun to play around in these levels, and they look pretty decent in 3D!

Controls:
Circle Pad/D-Pad - Move
A - Spindash
R - Roll
B- Jump/Airdash
Start - Return to level select

In the future I will probably use this engine to make a short, fun 3D Sonic game for 3DS, so stay tuned!

Because this uses the official SDK with Unity for New 3DS, I cannot share the download link here, but if you look around, I'm sure you will find it! ;)

you are alowed to provide a cia

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As long as it doesn't have the sdk in it. You can post it. You can use anything you want to contribute homebrew here, so long as the end result isn't copyrighted. The issue here is the assets.

Last edited by WeedZ,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is looking great!
The maps look polished and good looking, great work so far!
My only suggestion would be to make the character models bigger, Sonic looks too small compared to the map itself, but that's about it so far :)

Good luck with the project!

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As long as it doesn't have the sdk in it. You can post it. You can use anything you want to contribute homebrew here, so long as the end result isn't copyrighted. The issue here is the assets.
If it's made using Unity, the built cia does contains code from Unity, which is copyrighted, so beside the official ways, you aren't allowed to share it(I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice)

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If it's made using Unity, the built cia does contains code from Unity, which is copyrighted, so beside the official ways, you aren't allowed to share it(I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice)
It still doesn't have any of the original sdk. If this is the logic we're using then we need to remove all 3ds themes, as they all were built on an original nintendo template.

Last edited by WeedZ,

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It still doesn't have any of the original sdk. If this is the logic we're using then we need to remove all 3ds themes, as they all were built on an original nintendo template.
the difference is that a template is something much less complex than a game engine(see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality)
Both the user code and Unity have an originality above the threshold of originality and therefore both are original works. This means both are protected by copyright law. So while @Alerdyy distributes his work freely, Unity doesn't do this, but both are included in the cia binary.
The template are just sounds, images and text, which probably falls below the threshold of originality, arranged in a specific data layout(which can be protected by patent law in some coutries. I personally think software patents are stupid). When someone modifies it and includes images, sounds and text to a degree that it's originality is above the threshold, it will be protected by copyright.

Last edited by catlover007,
Reactions: Joel16

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the difference is that a template is something much less complex than a game engine(see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality)
Both the user code and Unity have an originality above the threshold of originality and therefore both are original works. This means both are protected by copyright law. So while @Alerdyy distributes his work freely, Unity doesn't do this, but both are included in the cia binary.
The template are just sounds, images and text, which probably falls below the threshold of originality, arranged in a specific data layout(which can be protected by patent law in some coutries. I personally think software patents are stupid). When someone modifies it and includes images, sounds and text to a degree that it's originality is above the threshold, it will be protected by copyright.
I'm not talking about copyright law, I'm talking about the rules of gbatemp. Can you tell me what unity code is included in this cia that would make it copyrighted? The product of a development tool isn't the same as the tool itself.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not talking about copyright law, I'm talking about the rules of gbatemp. Can you tell me what unity code is included in this cia that would make it copyrighted? The product of a development tool isn't the same as the tool itself.
I made this scrappy diagram in Paint:
2dJmrO0.png

as you can see, the compiled game does contain code which may not be freely distributed, if it's made using Unity

Last edited by catlover007,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a