Hacking Uninstalling system apps?

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why, but I'm curious as to whether or not the system apps, such as AR Games can be removed. I realize that there's not much practicality to it, but is there a way to do this?

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty interesting. I thought it might've had some kind of negative effect on the system like certain phones when you remove stock apps.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how people end up getting random errors and crap, just because you don't think you need it or don't use it doesn't mean you should uninstall it. I don't suggest anyone delete anything in FBI/GodMode9 unless they are 100% sure they know what it is and how it will effect their system. "I wonder what this is? I don't know, let me delete it." usually leads to a softbrick. Obviously nothing like the AR Games should break the system but system titles like the NS_Module, Safe_Updater etc, are also in FBI and will cause you serious issues if you delete things all willy nilly.

Reactions: BetterDuck

BetterDuck

I am truly remarded
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is how people end up getting random errors and crap, just because you don't think you need it or don't use it doesn't mean you should uninstall it. I don't suggest anyone delete anything in FBI/GodMode9 unless they are 100% sure they know what it is and how it will effect their system. "I wonder what this is? I don't know, let me delete it." usually leads to a softbrick. Obviously nothing like the AR Games should break the system but system titles like the NS_Module, Safe_Updater etc, are also in FBI and will cause you serious issues if you delete things all willy nilly.
I wasn't planning on it, it was just a bit of curiosity.

eqagunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Apologies for necroing the thread, but my case is related.
You can use FBI to delete them, but do take note that you will be notified to do a system update even on the latest firmware if you do so. A system update will bring those titles back.
Uninstalled "AR Games" via FBI, but kept the ticket (at least I believe I did).
Manually went to check for system update, there was one as you said, though it didn't bring back the app.
turn on the 3DS while holding A+R+L+Up(DPad). this will start recovery mode to reinstall firmware. its safe if you re already on 11.6 B6S.
It did its thing, but didn't bring the app back. FW v11.13.0-45E
another one to try would be L + R + B + Down while booting. This will reset home menu management information, restoring all app icons to their original positions
This one didn't bring it back either. What options do we have to bring it back if needed?

eqagunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Start fbi then select tickets. Now press A on any ticket. Then select delete unused tickets. Once done exit out of FBI. Now do a system update and your missing app will return.
I assumed I need to keep the ticket to get the app back. Well, went along with your proposal and deleted unused tickets with FBI. Tried updating both through settings and via L+R+A+Up+Power but the app is still not back. Maybe there needs to be an actual update available for it to come back? It tells me every time my system is up to date.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@TurdPooCharger think we need your knowledge on this one.

I assumed I need to keep the ticket to get the app back. Well, went along with your proposal and deleted unused tickets with FBI. Tried updating both through settings and via L+R+A+Up+Power but the app is still not back. Maybe there needs to be an actual update available for it to come back? It tells me every time my system is up to date.
OP start fbi and goto titles and see if Ar games shows there. Also how many games do you have installed on your 3ds. If you have more than 300 then that is why you cant see AR games on the homescreen.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

eqagunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
OP how many games do you have installed on your 3ds. If you have more than 300 then that is why you cant see AR games.
Only Shovel Knight with Treasure Trove update on the side, pulled down through eShop. Plus several homebrew apps, definately not 300.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only Shovel Knight with Treasure Trove update on the side, pulled down through eShop. Plus several homebrew apps, definately not 300.
Ok like i said try fbi and select titles see if the AR app shows there. It will look like this.

IMG_20200628_185336.jpg

Reactions: Alexander1970
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Download the 7.1.0-14E(Full).zip from that darth site.
    • 3DS EUR o3DS Firmwares
    • MD5 Hash: 885af9d91a0c95008f6688d096751bc4
    • File Size: 160 MB
    • Note #1: Downloading an older or newer package may not contain AR Games (EUR) or an outdated version of it.
    • Note #2: If you have a EUR New (2/3)DS (XL), the EUR o3DS copy of AR Games (EUR) will work on EUR region New 3DS series firmware.
  2. Extract and add only the system title CIA of AR Games (EUR) to this location on the (micro)SD card.
    • sdmc:/updates/0004001000022E00.cia
    • :!: Do not add any other CIAs found in that ZIP archive.
  3. For extra safety in case of a frankenfirm softbrick, backup the SysNAND.
    • sdmc:/gm9/out/<date>_<serial>_sysnand_###.bin
  4. FBI install the CIA version of sysUpdater. Press (HOME) button to exit back HOME Menu. Switch over to sysUpdater.
  5. sysUpdater install the CIA of AR Games (EUR). Press (A) update or (Y) downgrade.
    • Note #3: FBI specializes in installing the CIAs of SD titles and DSiWare games.
    • Note #4: sysUpdater handles installing the CIAs of system titles.
    • Note #5: There is a possibility of softbricking the 3DS firmware by installing system titles CIAs using FBI.
    • Note #6: Depending on the Rosalina menu injection of Homebrew Launcher, there is also a (very small) possibility of softbricking by installing system titles CIAs using the 3DSX version of sysUpdater. It comes down to updating/downgrading the system title where Homebrew Launcher is assigned to.

If the 3DS system is softbricked from the above attempt at reinstalling AR Games (EUR), restore the SysNAND with the image made in step 3. Switch over to repairing the 3DS firmware + custom firmware with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - CTRTransfer. Carefully read and follow the Instructions.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

eqagunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Marvelous reply! This will be very helpful for future case where people would like to know how to bring back a system app without flashing back a backup of sysNAND or in case where they don't have it as this topic is easily found when googling.
Note #1: Downloading an older or newer package may not contain AR Games (EUR) or an outdated version of it.
Am I right to assume the reason for regular system fw update not installing the app back lays in the current system fw version not containing an update to app in question? That is, if a future fw update comes with an update for that app it will bring the app back? If, so will it depend on whether you removed the ticket or kept it?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Marvelous reply! This will be very helpful for future case where people would like to know how to bring back a system app without flashing back a backup of sysNAND or in case where they don't have it as this topic is easily found when googling.

Am I right to assume the reason for regular system fw update not installing the app back lays in the current system fw version not containing an update to app in question? That is, if a future fw update comes with an update for that app it will bring the app back? If, so will it depend on whether you removed the ticket or kept it?
It dont matter what fw you are on. If a system title is missing the console should detect it and a update would restore it. The update dont need to be for a outright fw update.

Reactions: AmandaRose

eqagunn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
It dont matter what fw you are on. If a system title is missing the console should detect it and a update would restore it. The update dont need to be for a outright fw update.
I wonder why is that not the case with my AR Games. It's a freshly hacked system, no additional tinkering was done that could have tainted it.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder why is that not the case with my AR Games. It's a freshly hacked system, no additional tinkering was done that could have tainted it.
Just for the sheer hell of it I just used fbi to delete AR games and its ticket and then confirmed it was gone. I then did the system update and yep just like other system apps that i have done this with in the past it reappeared. Its very strange this is not happening for you.

Edit I forgot to say my 3ds was already on latest firmware.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.google.com/search?q=MSU+Genesis&rlz=1C1VDKB_enUS988US988&oq=MSU+Genesis&gs_lcrp=EgZja...