Hacking Understanding which games will work on the Gateway 3DS

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
My only concern is the entirely possible Anti Piracy. If they do that, we're pretty much screwed right? Since you can't edit the roms and then run them.
I don't know enough about how this all works to really contribute on the subject beyond adding concerns.

Last gen Gamefreak fit in AntiPiracy measures for different regions of the games which needed to be patched out. If things are like you said an we can't patch roms that'd be a problem. But is it a problem of it can't be done or they just haven't done it yet? This I don't know the answer to.

I also don't know if the Gateway's operations have been revealed to Gamefreak enough that they could build against it before printing cartridges and I don't know if they could AP it on a guess. The Animal Crossing save problem exists but if it was Pokemon they might have worked or been working harder to crack it if it's possible at all (I don't know much about flash types like NAND). Gateway seeing returns on its first sales now. If it can run Pokemon it'll probably see another wave of sales beyond the risk takers.

So much "wait and see" antsy-ness on my end. This month is going to be a long one. :mellow:

Reactions: jastolze

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't think they are going to have a lot of time to implement much in Pokemon or Mario Golf which are both due out withing less than a month. Given the lead time to get cartidges manufactured there is no way they will have a firmware they haven't even made yet published on cartridge. Look the games that came out thru mid July still had 4.5 on them which was available in Dec 2012.....ML Dream team which is the last game out had 5.1 which was available end of March. So see its not like Nintendo can just finish v7 tomorrow and then release it on a cartridge coming out in 3 or 4 weeks. I think Nintendo is fairly content that 5.0 defeated the gateways kernel access. If and when Gateway gets 5.x or 6.x working then Nintendo would patch again. So they are likely chipping away at v7 with the big Miiverse upgrade and not that worried about Gateway. You say 1-3% of users might be on Gateway....not even close. 30Mil+ 3DS users means 3% would be 1 million gateway users.....not even close...I bet gateway hasn't even sold 100K units yet. More like less than 1%.

So I would expect Nintendo might use Nand save more to try to prevent save game hacking than anything, but if it prevents gateway that is an added bonus. They may have a chance to sneak some AP in but not sure the way the gateway works if that would be detectable. I think a big detraction for Gateway and Pokemon will be that Pokemon is goign to support the Pokesave Cloud as well as online matches. These are major features that you will not be able to use with Gateway.

I will make this prediction....whatever Nintendo does do in Pokemon and Zelda someone will find a way around it to make them run on Gateway...this is what history has shown us....the bigger the release the more likely they find a way to get it to run.

The Gateway team is making structured and sensible progress. 1st a working launcher, then region and version spoof (region free was a big selling point for a lot of potential customers), now a diagnostic and chip reset (which helps people who have troublesome carts and helps vendors not have to replace carts that can be soft-repaired).....they said they are working on a fix for AC so figure out Nand saving and then unsigned code and then just about anything will be possible in the way of multi-rom and running 'patched' roms or even runnig a real time patcher on roms.

Reactions: hhs

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if Pokeman has some sort of patch, Gateway will still figure out a way to bypass, due to popular demand, and the fact that they have kernel access.

There's always a way to bypass any new release from now on, provided the team(s) know the hardware.

Reactions: jastolze

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.