ultimate Noob tutorial for Gateway 3DS 2.0b by noob

Intro
Okay here is a Noob proof tutorial by me base on what I have read on various threads.
Note: That I do not have gateway yet, but want to make sure that everybody include myself get this right.
Note: This is a collaboration work by members not my professional guide.

Warning!!!!! : This is only base on what I read, it still need to be modify by other member.
Edit: people are reported that they are successfully updated their system through these steps.
Warning!!: Update do not add any features to the system until GW team update it. Always check the Firmware version before you attempt to upgrade!
Note!!!!: This is a beta release of Gateway 2.0b, Something may goes wrong even if you fellow these steps !!! If you do not wish to risk your system just stop at step 12 and wait for Gateway to release a stable version of FW.
Note!!!!: There is really no need to update the firmware to 7.1 right now other than being able to play cartridges that require 5+ firmware.

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk
System info.
The system is brand new 3DS XL with FW: 4.4.0-10u
Note: Any FW between 4.1-4.5 would work. You do not need to update to latest FW: 4.5 to use Gateway 2.0b

Steps
NOTE: For the old Gateway user just skip to step 7th
Edit:If you do not wish to upgrade your emuNAND just stop at step 12th
1st: boot up the system setup username, turn off wifi, skip WIFI setup, then go to setting check the FW ver.
2nd: Connect your mircoSDcard, then Copy files from Blue Card (R4i) folder to the Root of a fat 32 formatted
Micro SD Card (small SD card not the one in your 3ds)--> put the Micro Sd Card in your blue gateway card--> put it in your 3DS.
3rd: Run Gateway installer
4th: Press A to install then Press A to power down or Home to return to main menu
5th: Copy Launcher.dat from GW Release to the root of the SD card from the 3DS
6th: Boot the Gateway mode by going through Setting-> other setting -> profile-> Hold L-> Nintendo DS profile.
Note: press L is to launch GUI (gateway user interface)with out L your 3ds will boot directly boot in to Gateway mode (regular 3ds menu where you can play rom.
7th: In GUI select the "BACKUP SYSTEM NAND" option (need at least 1 GB free space of 3ds SD card)
8th: Turn off the system- > takeout your 3DS SD card backup your newly created .NAND on your PC.
9th: After copy the file put your 3DS Sd card back into your 3DS.
10th: Boot up GUI-> run the Format emuNAND. Not sure what will happen to the system it may be power off or it may just boot into gateway mode.
11th: close your 3DS and takeout your Sd card-> on your computer drive you will see that half of your memory space is gone.
12th: put your 3DS SD card back in to your 3ds---> Boot up GUI again this time run Gateway mode.
Edit: you should also move either the icons around, or create a folder, to make the emuNAND visibly different from the realNAND. by MadButch
13th: Go to setting check "GW3D" label in the system version number in the System Settings application.
14th: Enter into WiFi settings and set up a connection. Accept the TOS (term of services) Note: some people report that they accidentally update their readNAND instead of their emuNAND after setting the wifi connection.
15th: reboot your system go to setting internet setting Deleted your wifi setting. (may not need to do this step) . gix222 noted that the system does not remember your WiFi setting from emuNAND in realNAND. So just skip this step.
16th:Turn off your 3DS--> reboot 3ds in to gateway mode again.-> go to setting check again that GW3D" label in the system version number. Warning!!!!!!!: DO NOT exit system setting when you see the GW3D in ront of the firmware version, before updating the firmware by aiat_gamer
17th: Go to other setting--> system updates. (cross your fingers) your system will shut down after the update is done.
18th: boot up system go to setting check that you still in fw 4.x . then you done :D

Please help me edit this post, I'm not expert myself, but want to make sure that this clean the confusion.

Thank you for reading.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Cateater1
When you update your 3DS do you have to connect to wifi 1st or do you connected to wifi when you were in Gateway mode?
Some people say that you have to set up wifi in 3DS mode in your realNAND and wait for notification that indicate you to update.\
according to the post "If you are one of those people that does not enable WiFi on their 3DS to avoid system updates and prompts, you are going to need to enable it long enough somewhere your 3DS has an internet connection for the update to be downloaded.
DO NOT UPDATE FROM THE PROMPT, USE IT ONLY AS AN INDICATION THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED THE UPDATE. If you have not been nagged at some point about a new system update your not ready to go, or at the minimum you will have to leave WiFi on in step 9, which may be dangerous but I'm not sure why."

hi, i setup my wifi connection already i just never updated my real nand with it and kept it the wifi switched off. When it came time to update while in gateway emunnand and i was sure i was definitely in emunand i flicked on the wifi and agreed to TOC and updated.

I could have added a connection at the last minute while in gateway mode but that's quite a tense moment making sure you've got everything right so i added it in my real nand instead and was just careful to leave it off till the very last step.

kurapika777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the blue card bit a one time set up or do you always have to have the blue card with the files in the console everytime you do this:

6th: Boot the Gateway mode by going through Setting-> other setting -> profile-> Hold L-> Nintendo DS profile.

aiat_gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
is the blue card bit a one time set up or do you always have to have the blue card with the files in the console everytime you do this:

As long as you dont play a DS game, you do not need to install the gateway but you need to do the 6th step eveytime you turn the console off!

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country

no, its a one time deal unless you switch back and two between blue card playing ds roms and red card playing 3ds roms in which case you have to run the exploit again. steps 2,3 and 4.

Step 6 you wont have a card in the slot. i boot without inserting the red card and only insert once booted from the gui when im in emunand.

kurapika777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to clarify:

lets say I have a 3ds set up with gateway alrdy. it is currently powered off. will the below work?

I turn it on with only the SD card in it, no cart (blue nor red) inserted
go to Setting-> other setting -> profile-> Hold L-> Nintendo DS profile
wait and it should reboot into gateway mode
insert my red card with 3ds game
play 3ds game

thanks in advance.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
just to clarify:

lets say I have a 3ds set up with gateway alrdy. it is currently powered off. will the below work?

I turn it on with only the SD card in it, no cart (blue nor red) inserted
go to Setting-> other setting -> profile-> Hold L-> Nintendo DS profile
wait and it should reboot into gateway mode
insert my red card with 3ds game
play 3ds game

thanks in advance.

Yep pretty much. After holding L it will boot into the gui (at least thats what happens for me) where you select gateway mode then when your on the eumnand homescreen with all the icons insert the red card and it should pop up as an icon with the game from the microsd.

RickyEarl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I have backed up my NAND, formatted the EMUNAND, and now I'm trying to actually use the XL with the red card. But when I boot into GW mode, it says nothings' inserted in the card slot. Tried two different sizes (16GB and 8GB) and brands of SD cards in the red card, same message. Reformatted both to FAT32, same message.

squidward

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
Thank you for the help on this. I want to share my experience and questions.

This was the first time using the Gateway. I bought it a month or so ago but waited for 2.0 to start using it.

I followed the guide thru step 10.
There I had to re-run the blue card. When I clicked on DS Profile it gave me the option of setting my colors and stuff. Once I re-ran the blue card, then I got back into the Gateway menu.
I added a wireless connection to my real 4.5. Got on the internet, and left it connected to the wifi for a while. I didn't know how to force the 3ds to download the latest system update without using the settings menu, so I deleted the wifi connection on my real nand and entered Gateway mode. There I added my wifi and verified my System was GW3D and then I forced the system update and accepted the terms.
It updated fine and wanted to reboot.

This is where things are a bit tempermental.

I boot up into real 4.5. I can get to the Gateway menu, but when I launch Gateway mode, I freeze quit often. I've found it works every time if I do the blue card installer, then home and then go to Gateway mode.

Thank you for suggesting that the two modes look differently -- that was a brilliant suggestion. So I know exactly which mode I'm in at all times.

But now I've updated emunand to the latest system update, but if I try to go to System Settings in Emunand and verify, I sit at the red arc screen and it sits there forever. It's not frozen because the arc's still move, but I've left it for 15 minutes and nothing. So I have to shut down and start all over.

I then typically have to start over with the blue card again.

But if I do use the blue card, and go into emunand, games load up successfully.

Any thoughts? Is it just the 'beta' version issues? I read that I was supposed to let the DS in real 4.5 download the system update and decline when it asks me to execute. Then it has been downloaded and some flag has been set to prepare it for an update. I don't know what to do to force that to happen without going to System Settings>Software Update which doesn't give you the choice to download only, as far as I'm aware.

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Freeze often is just a problem with emuNAND in Beta. This is normal. I not sure why you have to run blue card every time, but mine does not.

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I have backed up my NAND, formatted the EMUNAND, and now I'm trying to actually use the XL with the red card. But when I boot into GW mode, it says nothings' inserted in the card slot. Tried two different sizes (16GB and 8GB) and brands of SD cards in the red card, same message. Reformatted both to FAT32, same message.

try format emuNAND again. This might help.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
So I just updated my 3DS emuNAND to 7.0, but now it won't let me enter the Settings anymore. It just gets stuck in a loop with it doing the 3DS Boot logo. Any help? :)

mgsfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
same as delta. I try to go to system settings it just freezes and this is after updating to 7.0

Is it safe to maybe redo the emunand setup again and see if it still freezes?

games and all the other menus load up except for system which is odd...maybe just wait for beta 2 to come out and see what happens

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just updated my 3DS emuNAND to 7.0, but now it won't let me enter the Settings anymore. It just gets stuck in a loop with it doing the 3DS Boot logo. Any help? :)

you shouldn't update your emuNAnd to 7.0 , but you can format your 3ds SD card. change your 3ds SD card.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I'm not able to update to 7.1 :( I only get "An error has occurred". I tried choosing the "Format emuNAND" option again and updated once, which got me to 6.3 since my real nand has that update downloaded, but I can't get it to 7.1 from there. Did I reinstall emuNAND wrong? :unsure:

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Okay here is a Noob proof tutorial by me base on what I have read on various threads.

-snip-

Thank you for reading.
Thank you so much for this very useful guide.

I read your guide and have used it for updating to 6.3 -> 7.1
I have 2 things that I think would be great for updating your guide
  1. Add a step or a precaution to check what version the eshop is up to. For example when 8.X comes out there is a very minor chance it will brick your 3ds and I think this should be added to the guide
  2. Add something at the start saying if your on emunand 6.3 and what to update to emunand 7.1 Start at step number 13.

liquidsolidyetboth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide it helped alot get a sense of things since I got a new gateway card and just updated emunand so here is what I did:
1) format you microsd card to fat32 about 5 times
2) cope blue card (r4i) folder stuff inside root of microsd card (not the folder just the insides) and eject the usb reader or whatever you are using to read microsd card
3) insert microsd card into blue card and insert the blue card into your 3ds
4) turn on your 3ds it should recognize card, run gateway installer (click A) and then A to continue until the system powers off
5) take out your SD card , make copy if you like, get launcher.dat and move it to root of your sd card
6) insert your SD card back into your 3ds
7) take out the blue card (dont need it anymore)
8) turn on 3ds, go setting profile, now you can get to gateway mode by hold L and clicking Nintendo DS profile or just click Nintendo DS profile to launch it directly. For this purpose lets just hold L and click on Nintendo DS profile
9) it launches gateway boot screen with its name on the screen ( boot gateway mode= backups/roms classic mode= retail cart/eshop
10) very important: click back nand and it should take couple of mins to do so
11) after that its very important that you boot to gateway mode and the shut your 3ds and take out your SD card
12) copy nand.bin file from you SD card and store it savely (very important)
13) after copyign nand.bin to you pc , delete it from your sd
14) put your sd card back inside your 3ds
15) turn on 3ds, launch into gateway boot screen (setting, profile, hold L and nintendo ds profile)

These steps are if you wanna get to run emunand, but if you just dont care about eshop or wanna stay offline you can skip to step 21
16) click format emunand, takes 5-8 mins, then click boot gateway mode
17) wait for system to creating new setting on screen then click setting to confirm emunand by seeing if firmware says GW3D
18) Do not exit or close setting after you see the GW3D, internet setting (turn your wifi button on) and go find your network
19) after finding you wifi and accept tos do not close settings go down to other setting, and system update
20) after system is done updating you should see miiverse setting etc and you are done with emunand

For backups/roms:
21) burn your image using win32 imager and burn it to your microsd card, put that in the white gateway card
22) put your white card in, click setting ->profile, hold L and click nintendo ds profile or just click nintendo ds profile
23) you should see gateway boot screen (if you did hold L and click then you select boot gateway mode) and it should show the game :)

tips:
1) make folders or rearrange icons to distinguish normal vs emunand state
2) Hold L and click nintendo ds profile is only if you wanna specifically choose the mode otherwise just click nintendo ds profile
3) if you screen sometimes turns grey and nothing pops , restart your 3ds again and try it
4) there might be a blank screen after the emunand is done setting up so wait for it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: