Hardware (UK only) Phones4U inventory being liquidated by John Pye Auctions

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thought I'd share this here as well: http://www.auction-solutions.co.uk/lot_list.asp?saleid=1548&siteid=1&h=0&pageno=1

UK retailer Phones4U shut down its online store and closed its retail operations earlier this year. Now in the middle of the administration process, UK auction house John Pye Auctions is handling the liquidation of Phones4U stock, which includes more than 600,000 items worth £10.8m in what is the UK's biggest auction of the year. Among the auction items are Wii Us, PS3s, Xbox 360s, Beats headphones, iPhones, iPads, and other stuff.

Bidding on the auction ends Tuesday, January 6, 2015 with a public showing available on Monday, January 5, 2015 from 10am to 2pm at John Pye & Sons warehouse in Staffordshire.

Wish I was in the UK... Anyone wanting to hook a brother up? :)

Reactions: raulpica

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Basic Wii U's don't seem to be going for too high but then again, there's still 4 days to go so that could very well change.

I'd pick up one for £100 but it'll increase. :P

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The Basic Wii U's don't seem to be going for too high but then again, there's still 4 days to go so that could very well change.

I'd pick up one for £100 but it'll increase. :P

I'm eyeing some headphones and tablets for myself... Haha. And also looking keenly towards the PS3s. Looking for someone who could hook me up if I end up bidding since I don't live in the UK (although international bids are accepted).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Missed that phones4u went under, maybe they should not have had such awful adverts.

I have not been to a proper business sell off in a while, kind of got out of the habit. Staffordshire is a bit of a stamp as well unless I know I am going for something, and I imagine it will be watched carefully but those willing to dig deeper and purchase bigger lots than I. Anybody up there that is interested in engineering of electrical or mechanical stripes, a distinct possibility in that part of the country, it might be worth a look if they are liquidating their test/returns/repair locations as well -- you can often get some nice stuff to sit in your shed from things like these.

Edit. Just caught up on it. It seems EE (another mobile operator) purchased a decent chunk of them, this makes it somewhat less appealing for me as I imagine some good stuff will have already been earmarked.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the pantheon of good adverts that rates perhaps a beer commercial that is not trying hard.

Their lesser attempts at advertising though...

Anecdotal though it may be I recall several people avoiding them because of it, though such things were eases by their shops around here being slightly out of the middle of town and there being about 9 other shops in which you could get phones before you got there. On the other hand if "any press is good press" exists then there have been those that did it worse.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly offtopic but now that Phones4U have gone under, is Carphone Warehouse any good if I want to buy my next phone from them instead of Vodafone?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Slightly offtopic but now that Phones4U have gone under, is Carphone Warehouse any good if I want to buy my next phone from them instead of Vodafone?

I've heard good stuff about them. As a company they're extremely healthy and recently merged with Dixons Retail to form Dixons Carphone. In the past 12 months they've laid out plans to invest millions in building better infrastructure for their business. They sell unbranded (and unlocked) phones, which you can't always get from Vodafone. So that's one more reason to go for Carphone Warehouse. (Disclaimer: I've never bought anything from them, though as part of my job I follow mobile companies and their developments.)

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Pretty cool, lol
2 HTC Media Link HD is going for 4£, while if i want to buy it in spain, is going for 90€ in official page or 50€ in ebay FOR 1!!!

Too bad i'm here... :cry:

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not actually bad, but as always look online first to see if they've got a good price or not.

What I know is that their accessories prices are insane (£10 for a screen protector? Wuuut).

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What I know is that their accessories prices are insane (£10 for a screen protector? Wuuut).
Always, always buy accessories online. It's common practice for phone shops to mark up prices on accessories as that's how they make money in addition to selling you a subscription plan. Otherwise they'd never make money as they sell most phones without profit to meet a price just below MSRP to get customers. So unless you're really passionate about a certain phone shop, just get your accessories online. You can get screen protectors on eBay for like £2.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Always, always buy accessories online. It's common practice for phone shops to mark up prices on accessories as that's how they make money in addition to selling you a subscription plan. Otherwise they'd never make money as they sell most phones without profit to meet a price just below MSRP to get customers. So unless you're really passionate about a certain phone shop, just get your accessories online. You can get screen protectors on eBay for like £2.
Amazon for me :D Got some really good Anker screen protectors for £3.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd share this here as well: http://www.auction-solutions.co.uk/lot_list.asp?saleid=1548&siteid=1&h=0&pageno=1

UK retailer Phones4U shut down its online store and closed its retail operations earlier this year. Now in the middle of the administration process, UK auction house John Pye Auctions is handling the liquidation of Phones4U stock, which includes more than 600,000 items worth £10.8m in what is the UK's biggest auction of the year. Among the auction items are Wii Us, PS3s, Xbox 360s, Beats headphones, iPhones, iPads, and other stuff.

Bidding on the auction ends Tuesday, January 6, 2015 with a public showing available on Monday, January 5, 2015 from 10am to 2pm at John Pye & Sons warehouse in Staffordshire.

Wish I was in the UK... Anyone wanting to hook a brother up? :)

If you bid on anything and win it ill take delivery of the item for you and ship it to you, ive sold a few things on gbatemp and helped a few people out as well.

This goes the same to anyone who wants to bid on this stuff

Reactions: shinkodachi

sn024

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a warning for anyone interested in this. You have to add 20% Buyers Premium and then add 20% VAT on the total so a winning bid of £100 would end up costing you £144. You would then have to pick up the items from Uttoxeter. That`s my reading of the terms anyway.

Reactions: shinkodachi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DSG group (those behind PC world and Currys) actually did something worthwhile*? Wonders never cease.

*that might have been a bit harsh, baiting the unfortunates they dredged up to staff PC world has frequently provided amusement when I had a few minutes to kill and was stuck in a retail park somewhere. It is one of my bigger regrets that I did not do so much during Best Buy's ill fated UK venture the other year.

As for buying accessories in real world shops.... about a year ago I was in need of a microUSB cable, enough to contemplate paying the couple of quid town/desperation tax. Online ones I cared for were about £2.50 so I thought £4-6, turns out their idea of a price was £14. If it has been a long and thick monster of a cable (though not Monstrosity cable) I could have seen it but it was a cheapo Chinese piece of junk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong