Hacking Question Uhhh

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you essentially buy a newer game on an older firmware, like what would happen?

Would a newer game like Super Mario Oddesy or Pokken Tournament just tell me to update my firmware or else I can't play the game in a nutshell?

I can't test or confirm this since I have never ran into the issue (I may have with one game but I forget.) And we don't have any games that may need firmware 3.0.0/3.0.1 so... To anyone who has ran into the issue before is it possible to run newer games on an older firmware?

I'm used to the 3ds cartridges that never really required a minimum firmware to play. You were allowed to play games unless you had a update for the game cartridge or digital version of the game. So...

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Mostly (especially when a console is new) an update might have added features, added IOS (Example from Wii, no sure what they're called in Switch), and of course fixes that might cause instability with game X if they aren't on a specific firmware.

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik, splatoon force you to update but not via internet, but via a fw inside the cartridge, which means its not always the latest fw
So if you plug in a game card like Splatoon 2, how exactly does it force the Switch to update? Does it start updating as soon as the system is powered on, or is there a chance to decline the update?

Paiuand

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
So if you plug in a game card like Splatoon 2, how exactly does it force the Switch to update? Does it start updating as soon as the system is powered on, or is there a chance to decline the update?
It probably asks you to update once launching the game.

Last edited by Paiuand,

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik, splatoon force you to update but not via internet, but via a fw inside the cartridge, which means its not always the latest fw
It would ask you to update of course and probably deny you to play the game if they need to update the Switch? It's as simple as that.
Oh, alright.
So I guess that means some games will be piggybacking off of later firmwares. In a way its good because it allows certain people to easily hop on the band wagon if something crazy comes out for Homebrew (which thank god, is great becuase its either that or you have to update to the latest firmware.) But its also bad because then acsess for playing the game is prevented for people who want to stay on a lower fw.

I also kind of wonderd this to. I don't know if it just starts updating or if it just prompts you. I'd assume it would do it automatically since people ask on here once in awhile if its safe to play a certain game on a certian firmware but again, but idk.

Last edited by petethepug,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If you essentially buy a newer game on an older firmware, like what would happen?

Would a newer game like Super Mario Oddesy or Pokken Tournament just tell me to update my firmware or else I can't play the game in a nutshell?

I can't test or confirm this since I have never ran into the issue (I may have with one game but I forget.) And we don't have any games that may need firmware 3.0.0/3.0.1 so... To anyone who has ran into the issue before is it possible to run newer games on an older firmware?

I'm used to the 3ds cartridges that never really required a minimum firmware to play. You were allowed to play games unless you had a update for the game cartridge or digital version of the game. So...
The 3ds did always have minimum firmware requirements, it's just basic requirements for systems with updatable firmware to force people to update to play newer content, even if the games don't actually need a update to function forcing updates keeps plugging holes

Last edited by gamesquest1,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I believe back the psp games .. early on.. people would modify the game as to play it on lower firmware
Yeah generally on modern systems if a specific firmware is compromised assuming the entire security system isn't completely flawed they can usually implement new encryption routines to block older firmware from being able to even read new content (as was the case with the 3ds on 7.x and the n3ds on 10.3, although eventuall both roadblocks were defeated) and as such be unable to "patch" it to run on a older firmware, and that's not even getting into the fact that if the piracy solution is a cart emulation device it has even less wiggle room and will generally be subject to zero ability to modify a game to launch on a older firmware even if it was just a matter of changing a single byte

Last edited by gamesquest1,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah generally on modern systems if a specific firmware is compromised assuming the entire security system isn't completely flawed they can usually implement new encryption routines to block older firmware from being able to even read new content (as was the case with the 3ds on 7.x and the n3ds on 10.3, although eventuall both roadblocks were defeated) and as such be unable to "patch" it to run on a older firmware, and that's not even getting into the fact that if the piracy solution is a cart emulation device it has even less wiggle room and will generally be subject to zero ability to modify a game to launch on a older firmware even if it was just a matter of changing a single byte

It will take some work to get old firmware running new Switch software. The security is rather on point aside from the one (massive) flub.

D

Deleted User

No offense but you asked methods of playing games without updates, over and over again, just with different wording. You are getting annoying tbh.:glare:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, your thread title doesn't make people want to answer because you need to ask a question, not a statement.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if it has internet needs it to function it will force you to update otherwise just click clicking skip every time you start. but it's going to ask you every single time.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense but you asked methods of playing games without updates, over and over again, just with different wording. You are getting annoying tbh.:glare:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, your thread title doesn't make people want to answer because you need to ask a question, not a statement.
I will link to my multiple threads later since I don't have the time, but as far as I know I have probably asked how to delete an update nag & what you do on the maitence/recovery mode screen twice becuase the first time I never really had my problem resolved or gotten a clear answer (I have probably commented on multiple threads as well asking the same question or problem but it still never really got resolved until I eventually made my own thread again.) And this time i'm just asking in general what would happen with games that require a FW update. If they would just put you on the latest stock FW, on a set FW Version on the cartridge, or if the game (when booted.) Would just automatically update without any confirmation from the player.

Also I don't want to be to complex with my thread title and potentially ask the wrong question (word choice.) Or i'm just asking a general question about the console. Thread titles are the least of my concerns unless its a complicated problem or question. (Idk why but I don't want to feel like a complete smart apple making my threads to, I used to do it a lot but in the end it made me look stupid here so.)

I'm sorry you think i'm annoying :wacko:

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The game will ask you to update. It's that simple.

The updates are on the cart. Just like the Vita, 3DS and PSP. If it is a digital download, it will ask you to download the update.

You will not be able to play Super Mario Odyssee if you stay on 3.0.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: