Trying to avoid getting cancer
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
U-Paint is now updated to the 2.5 version. I want to thank the over 400 people that downloaded my old versions. The new version in addition to the included readme, has a built-in manual and an included PDF manual, hopefully this will be helpful to those who seem to refuse to read the instructions in the readme.

There has been a lot of changes added to this version, and it is very close to being a serious free replacement for Art Academy. You can now save and load your drawings, there is an undo button, there is a color dropper now, and some other new features, and is worth upgrading to the new version.

From the Readme -
U-Paint v2.5 for Homebrew Launcher by brienj

Setup:
Put the u-paint folder from the archive into the apps folder of your SD card with all the other apps you launch with the HBL.

Instructions:
Touchpad - Use the stylus or your finger in the top-left area to draw on the DRC screen and TV, select colors in the right-hand area
L-Stick: Move view when zoomed in
R-Stick: Up = Zoom In, Down = Zoom Out
A Button: Undo (cycles through the last 100 saved undo pictures to memory)
B Button: Toggles Brush or Spray Mode
Y Button: Toggles Fill (brush becomes completely filled circle) or No-Fill Mode
Minus Button: Decreases Brush Size
Plus Button: Increases Brush Size
LB or RB: Show/Hide Menu
ZL or ZR: Turns on Dropper Mode while held (allows you to assign droppered color to active color)
Home Button: Exit

Painting Mode -
D-PAD U/D: Changes Hardness Level
D-PAD L/R: Changes Flow Level

Color Picker Mode -
D-PAD U/D: Change either R, G, or B (the one with radio button selected) value up/down on the color picker screen

Load/Save Mode -
D-PAD L/R: Change Page Number

The current zoom level, brush size, and brush type are shown in the lower-right area of the DRC screen. To the left of that, it shows your active color. Touching this box opens up the color picker menu. The color picker is like the one in Photoshop. It defaults to the slider controlling the red value. You can also either select green or blue with the radio buttons next to them on the right hand side of the menu. Touching the right side box will set the color change, or touching the red x in the top-right corner will close the menu. You can change the active color by choosing any of the 10 colors on the right hand side of the main menu. The last color is the background color which is used when you clear the screen.

The load and save menus allow you to load or save PNG format images. To load pictures, they must be named any number number between "Picture1.png" and "Picture36.png" and placed in the "sd:/drawings" folder. The number of load/save slots may be increased in the future, but most likely you will be able to name your pictures or load any that are in the "sd:/drawings" directory in any future update. Multiple picture formats may also be supported in the future, but the program currently saves to lossless PNG format, which is really the best quality for file size that is possible.

Remember that everything you see on the DRC screen is a representation of the actual FULL picture which is on the TV. When you are zoomed out on the DRC, you are seeing the full picture that is on the TV, but reduced by 2/3 size, since the DRC is 854 x 480 and the TV is 1280 x 720. When you are zoomed in, the pixels are identical.

Planned to be added:
Saving and loading palettes
??? - Naming saved pictures or loading any picture in the "sd:/drawings" folder
??? - Design a brush

Screenshots of the built-in manual and included PDF manual -
Manual1.png Manual2.png Manual3.png Manual4.png

Homebrew Launcher Icon -
icon.png

Update: If you are not using HDMI to a 720p or 1080p TV, the app is not guaranteed to work properly.

Download link -
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rb5itf755kkw5yn/u-paint-v2.5.7z

------------------------------------------------

Last edited by brienj,

brienj

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Currently looking over the FS functions to include SD card saving and loading, probably in BMP format so you won't lose any quality. Possibly may also include FTP functions like ftpiiu, but SD Card is probably going to be the most user friendly and will be added first. You can already save screenshots of your work using something like USendMii though, so use that until I add more functions to the program. I've checked out Art Academy Sketchpad, and I want to make my app a good free replacement for something like that.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently looking over the FS functions to include SD card saving and loading, probably in BMP format so you won't lose any quality. Possibly may also include FTP functions like ftpiiu, but SD Card is probably going to be the most user friendly and will be added first. You can already save screenshots of your work using something like USendMii though, so use that until I add more functions to the program. I've checked out Art Academy Sketchpad, and I want to make my app a good free replacement for something like that.

Im reeeally looking forward to that goal. I keep imagining all the potential for gamepad homebrew. We need more unique, cant be replicated brew in the scene

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Oh finally! Been waiting patiently for this. :)

Keep working on the Wii U homebrew, a lot of us really appreciate it.

Last edited by sj33,

brienj

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick update on this app -
https://twitter.com/xhp_creations/status/740256450396717061

The program will be loading and saving PNG files, and will support all PNGs, including those with transparency, but only full transparency, it's not GX2 yet, so there isn't any partial transparency support yet. I hope to one day use GX2 graphics, but to re-program everything from framebuffer to GX2 will take some time. Every PNG it saves will be with no compression, for best quality, but it will load PNGs that do have compression, or use index palettes, but the image will be converted to RGB once loaded.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended