tstwitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All,

The Wii seems to have the ability to setup up the 3 Wifi connections. Question, I have two wifi networks in our home, one for the tenant and one for us (the landlord).

I would like to configure our Tenant's Wii to get to the internet for Netflix via the tenants Wifi (first Wifi connection) but also look at videos via WiiMC on SMB on the landlord Wifi connection (second Wifi connection). Both Wifi connections will have quite different internal IP's so they do not conflict.

Is this possible ? I guess I could just set it up and see what happens, but I thought I would ask the team first. I DO NOT want our tenant using our Wifi connection for Netflix as... it's slow due to tonnes of torrenting.

any ideas

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi All,

The Wii seems to have the ability to setup up the 3 Wifi connections. Question, I have two wifi networks in our home, one for the tenant and one for us (the landlord).

I would like to configure our Tenant's Wii to get to the internet for Netflix via the tenants Wifi (first Wifi connection) but also look at videos via WiiMC on SMB on the landlord Wifi connection (second Wifi connection). Both Wifi connections will have quite different internal IP's so they do not conflict.

Is this possible ? I guess I could just set it up and see what happens, but I thought I would ask the team first. I DO NOT want our tenant using our Wifi connection for Netflix as... it's slow due to tonnes of torrenting.

any ideas
You have the option to set up 3 connection methods indeed, but the Wii chooses one as default and only if that's unavailable it checks the other two - I don't think there's a way to dictate which applications use which connection, although I may be wrong.

Why is your tenant/s using your WiFi if he/she/they have his/her/their own internet connection in the first place? Isn't it easier to hard-code using only one connection method as default and get on with it?

tstwitter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All,

any ideas
You have the option to set up 3 connection methods indeed, but the Wii chooses one as default and only if that's unavailable it checks the other two - I don't think there's a way to dictate which applications use which connection, although I may be wrong.

Why is your tenant/s using your WiFi if he/she/they have his/her/their own internet connection in the first place? Isn't it easier to hard-code using only one connection method as default and get on with it?
Hi Foxi4,
I "serve" up our avi movies on my computer (the landlord) because the tenent is somewhat non-computer literate, so she needs access to our internal landlord network. But at the same time, I want her to use her own network for Netflix. Watch avi movies on the landlords network, watch Netflix on the tenents network.

My "landlord" network/internet is bogged down with a tonne of internet traffic 24/7, so adding Netflix usage to it as well would be bad.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I know the wii can only hold one connection at once.

If your routers have proper network access and lockdown options (doubtful but the last few years have left me a bit more hopeful when it comes to consumer grade network gear and if you are running one of the WRTs forget I said it) then I would come the other way and either try to mesh networks (this would be why you want some nicer gear) and set appropriate gateway IP addresses or perhaps more easily stick a cheap and cheerful NIC (you can get some nice wireless USB adapters that work brilliantly, or as good as wireless ever does, for next to nothing) and have it connect to the relevant networks and share over those instead. It is also infinitely easier to sandbox/wall in things with a second network adapter as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality