Tutorial  Updated

Using "smashhax" with Linux

If you can use the browser, I suggest that you use the new browserhax (up to 11.0.0-33!) in the meantime.

Try out Ubuntu 15.04: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/15.04/

This requires a New 3DS. The demo version doesn't work and is patched. If you have 1.1.3 or newer delete/disable the update data.

officially called smashbroshax sometimes smashax
Here is a new tool I call smashbroshax-helper. It is a graphical interface for the exploit which simplifies most of the process of broadcasting the packet. It requires almost no setup outside of creating a bootable Linux USB/DVD.

Important notes:
  • This does not work on Fedora or Red Hat-based distributions because aircrack-ng needs to be compiled on it (and I can't figure out how to install the needed things).
  • Don't use a virtual machine!
  • This probably will never work on Old 3DS.
Download smashbroshax-helper beta

It is recommended that you use a live Ubuntu 15.04 image. Versions 15.10+ have issues. http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/15.04/
  1. Create a bootable USB/DVD with a Linux distribution (there are various guides online).
  2. If possible, get a second USB/SD card/storage device, download and save the above .zip to it.
    • Don't extract the contents of it to the USB device, as it might cause problems. Just save the .zip file to it.
    • If you can't do this, you'll have to connect to the Internet while in Linux to download it.
    • If using a bootable USB, make sure you can use two ports at a time. Don't take out the Linux USB while it is being used!
  3. Restart your computer and run the bootable USB/DVD you created.
  4. Extract the contents of the .zip to the Desktop.
  5. Open the smashbroshax-helper folder and double click "smashbroshax.sh".
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts.
  7. If everything goes well, you should now have homebrew!
Video demonstration, from boot to shutdown:

from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-smashhax-with-linux.397194/page-9#post-5842512

If you would like the full tutorial, involving terminal usage and compiling:
To reverse the changes to your wireless interface and remove issues connecting to networks after, rebooting your system or changing it to "Managed" instead of "monitor" should fix it. How to do that is in the second to last section.

@Cydget made a script that condenses most of this into a script. I have not tried it myself yet but it seems to work for others.
So, I made a little script for this. If anybody wants it, then unzip this file and read the readme. And yes, I like to pipe things. http://www.mediafire.com/download/oulnubnzkk9g3i0/smashhaxEZ.zip

Requirements
  • Any Linux distribution should do (this has only been tested with Debian-based distributions). Windows and OS X users should wait or find a method for now, sorry!
    • Please do not use Linux in a virtual machine, it likely won't give direct access to your wireless card. Dual boot or use a live USB/disk.
    • The recommended distro to use is Ubuntu 15.04 (link to Ubuntu MATE 15.04).
  • A Wi-Fi-capable wireless card.
  • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Full or Demo.
  • New 3DS. This does not work on Old 3DS.
  • Patience. The hax is sort-of unreliable so your game will most likely crash a few times.
  • Recommended: Another device to access the internet (phone, tablet, computer, console).
Preparing
  • Install these packages using your package manager. For example, "apt-get" for Debian-based distributions (including Ubuntu).
    Code:
    openssl libssl-dev libnl-genl-3-200 libnl-genl-3-dev libnl-3-200 libnl-3-dev pkg-config
  • Find your wireless card's interface by opening a terminal and using the command "ip link". It would be something like wlan0 or wlp3s0.
    Code:
    ian@ian-VPCEG34FX:~/Desktop/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2/src$ ip link
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
        link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    3: wlan0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,ALLMULTI,PROMISC,NOTRAILERS,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DORMANT mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
        link/ieee802.11/radiotap xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
  • You probably already have it, but get the homebrew starter kit and place it on your SD card.
  • Download the smashhax .pcap files from the releases section of the smashbroshax repository.
  • Determine the .pcap file to use. This should be straightforward using the file names.
    The built beacon-hax pcaps are located under "pcap_out/". In the filenames, "vXYZ" means game-version "vX.Y.Z". Full-game filenames for USA include "gameusa", while the other regions filenames include "gameother".
  • Get the "Otherapp payload" from the Homebrew Launcher site and save it to "smashpayload.bin" at the root of your SD card.
  • Download and extract aircrack-ng's latest release source.
  • Save aireplay-ng.patch from the smashbroshax repository in the folder "aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2".
Compiling aircrack-ng/aireplay-ng
  • Open a terminal and go to the "aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2" folder.
  • Use the command "patch src/aireplay-ng.c < aireplay-ng.patch". If you get the following then it has succeeded.
    Code:
    patching file src/aireplay-ng.c
    Hunk #1 succeeded at 560 (offset 1 line).
    Hunk #2 succeeded at 573 (offset 1 line).
  • Run "make" and wait. The program should be compiled with the patch now. If you get the following as the last line then it has succeeded.
    Code:
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/path/to/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2/src'
The moment of truth
  • Run these 3 terminal commands in order, using the wireless interface (from "ip link") you found earlier.
    sudo ifconfig wireless_interface down
    sudo iwconfig wireless_interface mode monitor
    sudo ifconfig wireless_interface up
    sudo iwconfig wireless_interface channel 6​
    (the last line was suggested by @difool. and might make the payload trigger faster)
  • Enter the "src" folder in your terminal.
  • Run the following command to start broadcasting the packet: "sudo ./aireplay-ng --interactive -r /path/to/smashbros_version_beaconhax.pcap -h 59:ee:3f:2a:37:e0 -x 10 wireless_interface"
    Use the .pcap file and wireless interface you found out earlier.
  • On the 3DS system, start the game, then choose Smash and Group. Wait for the magic to happen.
Encountering errors? Something confusing?
  • Does running aireplay-ng end with "End of file"? You might be running your installed version of aircrack-ng. Don't forget the ./ for "sudo ./aireplay-ng ..."!
  • Please tell me the distribution you are using and the error you've encountered. This will help me fix your issue faster.
  • If you don't get something, don't hesitate to point it out! I want to help anyone I can.
  • Did you spot an inaccuracy or mistake I made? It would be great if you can tell me that too.
  • This was before the Otherapp payload selector was added to the HBL site. This is kept here for legacy reasons or something.
    • Determine what file you need to get from the Homebrew Launcher Payload section:
      With the release builds, the hax loads the payload from SD "/smashpayload.bin". This should contain the hb-launcher(https://smealum.github.io/3ds/) otherapp payload. Until there's a proper otherapp payload selector on the hb-launcher site, the payload can be downloaded from the following URL(see also https://github.com/smealum/sploit_installer):
      FIRMVER values(without quotes):
      • "POST5" = non-New3DS
      • "N3DS" = New3DS
      REGION values(without quotes):
      • "U" = USA
      • "E" = EUR
      • "J" = JPN
      MENUVER values(without quotes):
      • "11272": Non-JPN, system-version v9.0.
      • "12288": System-version v9.2.
      • "13330": System-version v9.3.
      • "14336": System-version v9.4.
      • "15360": System-version v9.5.
      • "16404": System-version v9.6.
      • "17415": System-version v9.7.
      • "20480_usa": USA, system-versions v9.9-v10.0.
      • "19456": Non-USA, system-versions v9.8-v10.0.
      MSETVER values(without quotes):
      • "8203": System-versions below v9.6.
      • "9221": System-versions starting with v9.6.
      For example, the payload URL for New3DS USA 9.9.0-X - 10.0.0-X is:https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/Pvl9iD2Im5/otherapp/N3DS_U_20480_usa_9221.bin
      The end result is a file named "smashpayload.bin" at the root of your SD card.

You are allowed to reproduce/reprint this tutorial, as long as a link back to this page (https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-smashhax-with-linux.397194/) is included.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

chompita239

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
For anyone wanting to know how to get smashhax working for 11.1.0.34, I have compiled the files using the full tutorial on the first page so you don't have to, and I'll give you steps if you would like to use it. Note, this requires the use of terminal.
Version of Ubuntu used was: Ubuntu 14.04

1) download the files form my google drive here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qTpylRpQmNTnR6Nkg4SDlZRHc) and extract the contents to your desktop

2) open terminal and change your directory to the extracted folder "src" within the downloaded files (cd Desktop/smash/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2/src)

3) check what name your wireless card is using the command (ip link) it is usually "wlan0" or "wlp2s0"

4) when you find your wireless card, use these three commands in order to get the data sent to the 3ds (sudo ifconfig "wireless card" down) (sudo iwconfig "wireless card" mode monitor) (sudo ifconfig "wireless card" up)
Remember to change the "wireless card" to the name of your wireless card
So for example, my wireless card is "wlan1" so the command would look like this [sudo ifconfig wlan1 down] [sudo iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor] [sudo ifconfig wlan1 up]

5) when that is all set and you're in the /src folder, run this command (sudo ./aireplay-ng --interactive -r /home/"user"/Desktop/smash/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2/src/pacp_out/smashbros_"version"_beaconhax.pacp -h 59:ee:3f:2a:37:e0 -x 10 "wireless card")
Remember to change the "user" to what you have your computer username set to, and the "version" for which version of smash bros you have
an example for this would be: [sudo ./aireplay-ng --interactive -r /home/mark/Desktop/smash/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc2/src/pacp_out/smashbros_gameusav100_beaconhax.pacp -h 59:ee:3f:2a:37:e0 -x 10 wlan1

6) you should be prompted by the terminal saying "Use this packet?", you need to press "Y" then enter to use the packet

7) with the packets being sent out, go to your NEW 3ds and start smash, select "Smash" from the main menu, Select "Group" next and it should eventually trigger the payload

8) Enjoy using homebrew

Owww thanks, which files did you put in your SD Card?. Guy can someone confirm this works?

Last edited by chompita239,
D

Deleted User

Quin452

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm still having trouble getting this to work.

I've got smashpayload.bin matching my firmware, and the cartridge is the European (the serial ends with 'EUR); I assume it is version 1.0.

I've tried the helper, and I've tried the solution Dude suggested. My onboard wireless is wpl3s0, and that stops at 73/74 packets in either solution. Using my Netgear USB (some long and complicated name, not wlan or wlpX) does nothing on Dude's solution and crashes the game and resets the device with the helper.

Any ideas? I have a new 3DS XL, and this is the first time install homebrew.

All I want to do is record some gameplay.

chompita239

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I've got smashpayload.bin matching my firmware, and the cartridge is the European (the serial ends with 'EUR); I assume it is version 1.0.

I've tried the helper, and I've tried the solution Dude suggested. My onboard wireless is wpl3s0, and that stops at 73/74 packets in either solution. Using my Netgear USB (some long and complicated name, not wlan or wlpX) does nothing on Dude's solution and crashes the game and resets the device with the helper.

Keep trying, the game crashing is something normal

D

Deleted User

I deleted it but my game is still on 1.1.4?
I believe the way to remove patches from smash is:
1) Open system setings
2) Select "Data Management"
3) Select "Nintendo 3DS" on the top left
4) Select "Extra Data"
5) Select the smash bros block and delete it
Your version should go back to 1.0.0. if you have the early cartridge or 1.0.1 if you've downloaded it from the eshop

Your Smash bros version should be on the top screen on the bottom right of it when you get to the splash screen (the screen that says "Press Any Button" on the bottom screen)
Does your Netgear USB send out more than 74 packets?

Isrii

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe the way to remove patches from smash is:
1) Open system setings
2) Select "Data Management"
3) Select "Nintendo 3DS" on the top left
4) Select "Extra Data"
5) Select the smash bros block and delete it
Your version should go back to 1.0.0. if you have the early cartridge or 1.0.1 if you've downloaded it from the eshop
I did this but it still reverted from 1.1.6 to 1.1.4

nicholas dunlop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! I am having problems using this. i cannot find my super smash bros version in the list (mines 1.0.1) so i cannot get this to work. any ideas? Ubuntu 15.04 New Nintendo 3ds vr 11.0.0-33U smash bros version 1.0.1
Thx in advance! -nick

EDIT: I would also like to mention that it i have tried to send to on 1.0.2 and 1.0.0 version selections, sends packets but it just crashes ssb4.
EDIT2: I've fixed the problem on my own. Just to let you all know! =) -nick

Last edited by nicholas dunlop,

Quin452

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
IYour Smash bros version should be on the top screen on the bottom right of it when you get to the splash screen (the screen that says "Press Any Button" on the bottom screen)
Does your Netgear USB send out more than 74 packets?

Hi - the screen shows nothing. Once when I did update it, it had the version number, but there is no update (and I keep being told to update) on the system and no number.

Yes, Netgear just keeps going and going. Running at 2000 packets, 19 pps, at the time of writing this.

Keep trying, the game crashing is something normal
There is a small delay, less than a second before the smash ball spins. After several seconds, it freezes for a couple, then crashes and the new 3DS restarts.

Also, if I do manage to get this to work, do I have to do this method each time I want to use Homebrew, or whatever? Or can I install something else to have easy access?

Last edited by Quin452,

chompita239

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi - the screen shows nothing. Once when I did update it, it had the version number, but there is no update (and I keep being told to update) on the system and no number.

Yes, Netgear just keeps going and going. Running at 2000 packets, 19 pps, at the time of writing this.

There is a small delay, less than a second before the smash ball spins. After several seconds, it freezes for a couple, then crashes and the new 3DS restarts.

Also, if I do manage to get this to work, do I have to do this method each time I want to use Homebrew, or whatever? Or can I install something else to have easy access?

You should use Steelhax for a secondary entrypoint, smashhax should be a one-time use entrypoint.

Reactions: Quin452

nicholas dunlop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi! if anyone has used this but couldn't because they were on version 1.0.1 I have edited and added a feature to have 1.0.1 in it! if ihaveamac is reading this, i would appreciate it if you added my version to the link. And here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MR0Nifr0jcNnpiQzJlWTFjWnM/view?usp=sharing I just added the 1.0.1 version (for usa and "other" (EUR/JPN)), I did test the usa version it and it WORKS! Although I have not Tried it with the "other" version another user said it worked for them.

D

Deleted User

Whoops sorry for the late reply

there is a small delay for the smash ball to start spinning when you first enter the "Group" tab, remember to have the "Otherapp.bin" renamed to "smashpayload.bin" with your correct version. Also if you do not have any other games for the Secondary exploits then you may have to though it is recommended to have one of those so you dont have to go through the process of booting into ubuntu just to launch homebrew. Unfortunately you cannot install oot3d hax since it hangs on a yellow screen (you'll have to edit with a save dongle connected to your computer), though i dont know for sure if its just my 3ds or if its been confirmed yet.

I did this but it still reverted from 1.1.6 to 1.1.4
Must be hard coded into the game you have, there have been reports of cartridges being 1.1.0 hard coded into them.

Hi! if anyone has used this but couldn't because they were on version 1.0.1 I have edited and added a feature to have 1.0.1 in it! if ihaveamac is reading this, i would appreciate it if you added my version to the link. And here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MR0Nifr0jcNnpiQzJlWTFjWnM/view?usp=sharing I just added the 1.0.1 version, I did test it and it WORKS! PLEASE NOTE: I have only tested it on a usa 3ds so it probably only works for people who have the usa/canada 3ds.
Is there a pcap for 1.0.1 JP? cause i would like to find one for my japanese 3ds so i can boot into homebrew and get menuhax working since it is 11.0.0.33J currently

Quin452

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

there is a small delay for the smash ball to start spinning when you first enter the "Group" tab, remember to have the "Otherapp.bin" renamed to "smashpayload.bin" with your correct version. Also if you do not have any other games for the Secondary exploits then you may have to though it is recommended to have one of those so you dont have to go through the process of booting into ubuntu just to launch homebrew. Unfortunately you cannot install oot3d hax since it hangs on a yellow screen (you'll have to edit with a save dongle connected to your computer), though i dont know for sure if its just my 3ds or if its been confirmed yet.

Must be hard coded into the game you have, there have been reports of cartridges being 1.1.0 hard coded into them.

Is there a pcap for 1.0.1 JP? cause i would like to find one for my japanese 3ds so i can boot into homebrew and get menuhax working since it is 11.0.0.33J currently

Yea, I've seen the small delay before it spins, and sometimes it doesn't spin at all before it crashes. It's very hit and miss.
I've installed steel diver, as recommended, so hopefully that can be used as secondary (still haven't a clue on that though).

I'm trying to figure out what version I am running. I found a 101 other pcap, but that isn't an option in the helper. I tried renaming it to 100 but it got me nowhere.

I think I've tried every pcap, every payload, every beacon I can think of, and even running the compiler myself.

nicholas dunlop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hi! I've found a link to a pcap for "other" on 1.0.1! Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4j19jivqvem4kf/smashbros_gameotherv101_beaconhax.pcap?dl=0

And here is the application with compatibility for 1.0.1 for usa and other (EUR/JPN) :https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MR0Nifr0jcNnpiQzJlWTFjWnM/view?usp=sharing (note that I have not tested the pcap "other" file but another user did say it worked for them)

Celeronatom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello there! SmashHax went on perfectly on my N3DSXL with Smash 1.0.0. BUT once homebrew loads, every app i use (SDVT, Save Manager, OOT3DHAX installer) fail to load. They kinda load but the 3ds gets stuck with the lower screen yellow and the upper screen black. Can anyone help me?

D

Deleted User

Hello there! SmashHax went on perfectly on my N3DSXL with Smash 1.0.0. BUT once homebrew loads, every app i use (SDVT, Save Manager, OOT3DHAX installer) fail to load. They kinda load but the 3ds gets stuck with the lower screen yellow and the upper screen black. Can anyone help me?
Save managers are not compatible on 11.x.x.xx firmware, which sucks because i cannot use oot3dhax which is the only reason why i bought it
Hi! I've found a link to a pcap for "other" on 1.0.1! Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4j19jivqvem4kf/smashbros_gameotherv101_beaconhax.pcap?dl=0

And here is the application with compatibility for 1.0.1 for usa and other (EUR/JPN) :https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MR0Nifr0jcNnpiQzJlWTFjWnM/view?usp=sharing (note that I have not tested the pcap "other" file but another user did say it worked for them)
Thanks, i'l be sure to use it next time i use my japanese 3ds
Yea, I've seen the small delay before it spins, and sometimes it doesn't spin at all before it crashes. It's very hit and miss.
I've installed steel diver, as recommended, so hopefully that can be used as secondary (still haven't a clue on that though).

I'm trying to figure out what version I am running. I found a 101 other pcap, but that isn't an option in the helper. I tried renaming it to 100 but it got me nowhere.

I think I've tried every pcap, every payload, every beacon I can think of, and even running the compiler myself.
If nothing shows up on the screen, then the version of smashbros is 1.0.0, i have that on my usa cartridge. If you have the physical cartridge, can you take a picture of the front of it and send it? if you do not have a cartridge, can you tell me what region your 3ds is?

Quin452

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If nothing shows up on the screen, then the version of smashbros is 1.0.0, i have that on my usa cartridge. If you have the physical cartridge, can you take a picture of the front of it and send it? if you do not have a cartridge, can you tell me what region your 3ds is?

The cartridge (I actually have two), end in EUR, assuming it is EUROPE. There is also French text on the case and cartridges, so I'm fairly certain it isn't US
Is there a 1.1.4 update I can install, rather than use the latest 1.1.6 (I think it's 1.1.6)? I may try delete the update file now that there is a save file, and hope it works.

D

Deleted User

The cartridge (I actually have two), end in EUR, assuming it is EUROPE. There is also French text on the case and cartridges, so I'm fairly certain it isn't US
Is there a 1.1.4 update I can install, rather than use the latest 1.1.6 (I think it's 1.1.6)? I may try delete the update file now that there is a save file, and hope it works.
just a heads up, Smash hax only works on version 1.1.2 or below, due to version 1.1.3 fixing the vuln the exploit uses

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: