Tutorial  Updated

Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S

SYSNAND-ONLY USERS: DO NOT BOOT GW MODE ON 11.3+ - YOU WILL LOSE B9S AND BE LEFT ON A STOCK FIRMWARE
I highly advise against the use of GW on SysNAND-Only Setups.
GW currently DOES NOT support firmwares 11.3//11.4 - B9S does not change that!
If you're on 11.3+ - Don't even try to use GW. Use Luma3DS or any other CFW that has confirmed support for 11.3+ firmwares.

Setting up GW with Luma3DS' chainloader

Requirements: SysNAND or EmuNAND on 11.2 or lower!
Tested and working on B9S 1.2 (Luma3DS 8.0)
  1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
  2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want. However, step 12 will assume v2gw.bin was used, you can edit that reference to meet whatever you decided to name it.
  4. Download GW's ‘arm9loaderhax.bin.zip‘ file.
    • On their main home page. Under the post titled: "GATEWAY 4.0B PRIVATE BETA #2"
    • Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
  5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  6. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "gateway.bin"
  7. Make sure you have the latest GW's Launcher.dat on the root of your SD Card.
  8. This dev-build of BootCTR9: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-3#post-7370533
  9. Extract the "boot.firm" file from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  10. Rename that very "boot.firm" you just extracted to "down_BootCTR9.firm" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
    - Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
  11. Extract the "boot_config.ini" file from from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to the root of your SD Card.
  12. Open the "boot_config.ini" file and overwrite everything with the following:
    Code:
    [BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin
  13. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
    - SysNAND-Only Users on 11.2 will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND. DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON PROMPT ON 11.3+
    - GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

FAQ

Q: How do I boot into the GW Menu?
A: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

Q: Can I use my GW Blue Card?
A: Yes, but only while using Luma3DS. It will not work in GW Mode.

Q: Can I play online while in GW Mode?
A: Yes, sort-of. But you have to either:

Q: I'm getting a black screen!? HELP!?
A: Multiple reasons for that below:
  • Modified SecureInfo_A - GW does not patch this. You'll need an untouched donor file of this.
  • Using a RedNAND - GW only supports GW EmuNAND, it cannot boot RedNAND. Use the GW Menu or GodMode9 to make one.
  • On SysNAND-Only Setups - Not having properly removed EmuNAND//RedNAND. Use GodMode to properly format your SD Card. But I advise you set one up.
  • Trying to boot an 11.3//11.4 EmuNAND - GW does not support anything higher than 11.2
  • If it's not listed, then who knows. Do you have a modified Home Menu or font? Those might not work at all in GW Mode.

Credits

Many thanks to the above lovely people~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-booting-gw-with-b9s-and-some-help.471417/

I highly advise against the use of GW for SysNAND-Only setups.

11.3&11.4 Break GW. GW currently DOES NOT support 11.3 or 11.4. You will either brick or lose A9LH. More than likely it seems you will just lose A9LH.

Again, if you attempt to boot GW Mode, on a SYSNAND-Only Setup while on 11.3 or 11.4, you will lose A9LH. It does not matter if you safely updated to this firmware via another CFW that safely protects FIRM.

If you want to use 11.3+, you will not be able to use GW. Don't even try. Only use Luma3DS or other CFW that support 11.3+

If you are a Gateway3DS user, and have recently finished Plailect's A9LH Guide, then you should be on v2 A9LH. Unfortunately, at the time this thread was made, GW's a9lh.bin file is incompatible with Luma3DS' payload chainloading feature while on v2 A9LH.

So one way around this was to either forego using Luma3DS' payload chainloading, and use a boot manager that does work in initializing GW's a9lh.bin correctly. Like BootCTR9. Either you let BootCTR9 handle all payloads, or you set it up to chainload into Luma3DS and from there let Luma3DS do all the work.

Either way, some people might not like BootCTR9 (Big fan of BootCTR9, seriously thing is amazing~!)

So if you don't want to use the BootCTR9 method, then @Hayleia made a very stripped down boot manager that only loads /luma/payloads/gateway.bin. You still need GW's a9lh.bin in addition to this stripped down bootmanager, but that's all you need, these two files! No need for messy configs if you just want to stick with Luma3DS' payload chainloader.

Now on to the damn tutorials already~!

Gateway Logo

1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
However, if you are a SysNAND Only User, and on 11.1 and using the 4.2 Launcher.dat, you will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND.
GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

Notes: To Boot into the GW Menu: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.
To Force a Manual Gateway3DS RedCard Update: Hold R+Select as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

No Gateway Logo (Not Recommend - Only for those allergic to the dragon logo - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Notes: This version will de-init the screen by default, and as such you won't see the Gateway Logo. Don't worry it'll init once you land on the Home. Due to how this works, only GW EmuNAND users should consider using this. This is because SysNAND users will land on the SysNAND prompt nag.

1. Download the v2gw-de-init.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "v2gw.bin" from v2gw-de-init.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "v2gw2.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode without the Gateway Logo.

Tested on N3DS and O3DS by me, 2DS by @Hayleia.
Should work on either screen-init or non-screen-init v2 A9LH.

Important Note: Never update your SysNAND in Gateway Mode. It does not matter what Launcher.dat version you use, if you go ahead and update while in SysNAND Mode, you will either brick or lose A9LH+CFW and be on the latest stock firmware. This is because GW Mode does not offer FIRM protection in A9LH. Updating your GW EmuNAND is fine and safe, and is what Gateway actually recommends you do and use even when using A9LH.

!~Getting Black Screen After Dragon Logo and After Following This Guide~! (PLEASE READ)
Sounds like someone hasn't properly removed their EmuNAND//RedNAND with EmuNAND9. The Black Screen problem is common to people who skipped doing it properly and used a third-party tool like EaseUS or any other partition manager.

Since EmuNAND//RedNAND wasn't removed properly, traces were leftover and GW by default sees it, and tries to boot into this non-existent EmuNAND//RedNAND and fails. So how do we fix it? We use EmuNAND9 to preperly remove traces of it.

Part 5, Section V of the old A9LH guide covers this. However, I will list all relevant steps here.
Link: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_R...ax)#section-v---removing-rednand-from-your-sd

The new guide also sort of mentions if in this new page, and does show you how to setup EmuNAND9:
Link: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

Files we'll need:
Latest release of EmuNAND9: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases/latest

1. Copy EmuNAND9.bin from the EmuNAND9.zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card and rename EmuNAND9.bin to y_EmuNAND9.bin
2. Backup every file on your SD card to a folder on your computer, all files will be deleted in the following steps
3. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
4. Hold (Y) at boot time to open EmuNAND9
5. Go to "SD Format Options...", then select the "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option, and wait for it to finish
6. Press (B) to return to the menu, then press Select to safely eject your SD Card
7. Put your SD card back into your computer, and copy all the files you backed up previously, back into your SD Card
8. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS, then press (Start) to reboot

Additional Note: You will still have to look into BootCTR9 if for some reason you want GW to be the default, as opposed to Luma3DS. This tutorial is meant more for the people who want Luma3DS as their main//default, and want to use Luma3DS' payload chainloader to boot into GW Mode.
Go to the following link for the tutorial on setting up GW as your main with BootCTR9.
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/

All credits to @Hayleia for making both of these~! Thank you~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283

Attachments

• v2gw.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 12,150
  • v2gw-de-init.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,292
Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

sacredshinobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So question here as someone who doesn't understand the technical aspects that well.

With this method am I missing out on any feature or compatibility with Gateway that I had before going to a9lh?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So question here as someone who doesn't understand the technical aspects that well.

With this method am I missing out on any feature or compatibility with Gateway that I had before going to a9lh?
You can enjoy both the features of Luma3DS and Gateway3DS by being able to dual boot both. If that's what you are asking. I will also answer your question from a thread you started.
Thank you, i'll check it out :)

One question I do have, as someone who doesn't fully understand this stuff.

Before a9lh I was running both Gateway and ReiNAND by having a bootmanager and picking between them. I know they both had things that the other didn't (Gateway could play Gateway games, ReiNAND could do some things Gateway couldn't).

Would it be proper to assume that with a9lh and Luma i'll be able to do everything I did before on Gateway AND ReiNand on my sysNAND now?
Sort of. You can't use your Gateway3DS while you boot into Luma3DS. So if you enjoy using Gateway3DS cheat menu, then you won't have that. You could look into NTR CFW that runs on top of Luma3DS, and look into cheats for that.
Another thing you'd be missing out on is .3DS support. However, installing your games as CIA is almost always a better idea, since you don't have to worry about private headers with CIA installs. And that's pretty much the only 2 things you'd be missing out on, but they maay not be huge deal breakers, depending on your personal preferences.

sacredshinobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can enjoy both the features of Luma3DS and Gateway3DS by being able to dual boot both. If that's what you are asking. I will also answer your question from a thread you started.

Sort of. You can't use your Gateway3DS while you boot into Luma3DS. So if you enjoy using Gateway3DS cheat menu, then you won't have that. You could look into NTR CFW that runs on top of Luma3DS, and look into cheats for that.
Another thing you'd be missing out on is .3DS support. However, installing your games as CIA is almost always a better idea, since you don't have to worry about private headers with CIA installs. And that's pretty much the only 2 things you'd be missing out on, but they maay not be huge deal breakers, depending on your personal preferences.

Ah okay, so the technique in your tutorial is basically dual booting and choosing between Luma and Gateway then? Plailect's tutorial boots it into Luma automatically, whereas your tutorial allows you to switch between Luma and Gateway before it boots into one of them?

Also I understand the advantages of using cia files, but I got into using gateway back before cfw's could do what they do now. So I bought 2 64GB microsd cards, one for my gateway card and one for my 3DS.

I use gateway simply for the space

Last edited by sacredshinobi,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okay, so the technique in your tutorial is basically dual booting and choosing between Luma and Gateway then? Plailect's tutorial boots it into Luma automatically, whereas your tutorial allows you to switch between Luma and Gateway before it boots into one of them?
No. This method will automatically boot you into Luma if you don't touch a button. If you hold the D-Pad Down, you'll boot into Gateway.

sacredshinobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. This method will automatically boot you into Luma if you don't touch a button. If you hold the D-Pad Down, you'll boot into Gateway.

Ah okay, but it is essentially allowing you to choose between them. Thanks!

Another question, why was it that loading up Gateway in the past on a9lh would brick people's 3DS?

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah okay, but it is essentially allowing you to choose between them. Thanks!

Another question, why was it that loading up Gateway in the past on a9lh would brick people's 3DS?
Never heard of that.

Unless you are talking about Gateway's FAST BOOT A9LH installation procedure. Which no one recommends people do on these boards. Since it had//has a high brick chance.

Edit: Or unless you are talking about updating SysNAND in GW Mode while using A9LH. You should never update SysNAND in GW Mode, as GW does not offer Firm0/1 Protection. So you will brick or end up on a stock updated firmware. Which there's a warning in the first post for it.

warriosbest

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by warriosbest,

rumteldat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I must have done something wrong. I swear I've followed each and every step, but whenever I try to boot up gateway it just won't work. I assigned gateway to D-pad down. When I turn on the 3DS and hold down the power led and screen turn on for half a second then turn off. I've tried switching up the button assigned and it does the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

shaora

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I use the new launcher from Gateway but now when I launched Gateway mode (sysnand only), i have a new prompt :

You want to boot GW Fastboot: Sysnand?
Press L+R+Select to continue.
Press B to cancel.

do you know how i can deactivate it ?

Thank you

A.B.C

Trophies
XP
Country
I have gw 3.7.1 EUnds fw gwnand 10.4
I don't have folder /luma/payloads/ in my SD card. In order to do your 2A9LH setup do I have to installed luma or (gateway)A9LH first

Last edited by A.B.C,

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,
I use the new launcher from Gateway but now when I launched Gateway mode (sysnand only), i have a new prompt :

You want to boot GW Fastboot: Sysnand?
Press L+R+Select to continue.
Press B to cancel.

do you know how i can deactivate it ?

Thank you

Use an older launcher.dat, it's a safety/warning added by Gateway so I doubt they're ever going to remove it.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so on my new3ds it boot into Sydnand but on my o3ds it boot into Emunand, anyway to fix this?
Fix how? Add an EmuNAND to your new3DS or remove EmuNAND from your o3DS?

For adding an EmuNAND, you could use EmuNAND9 or the GW Menu to create an EmuNAND. Just make sure to backup the contents of your SD Card.

For removing an EmuNAND, details are provided in the first post on how to do that with EmuNAND9.

tangerines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have followed this guide, and the troubleshooting part of it too, but I am still booting into the black screen after the dragon with Gateway. I actually did the Emunand/Rednand wipe twice, once using this guide and the other time in Plailect's guide here https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

I wanted to keep all my installed CIAs from my Gateway during my A9LH install so followed the move my emunand section - Section IV - Restoring the System in Plailect's guide as per the link above.

But after the guide it seems that my emunand was cloned to systemnand???

I also used my old existing launcher.dat as the new one keep prompting me to use fastboot. But it just gives me the black screen after the dragon logo....

Please help. I really want to still be able to use the gateway cartridge for the extra memory space! Thanks.

Edit: I just tried the bootloader method linked in this guide, also black screen. At a loss here. Is it the launcher.dat that I am using? I heard that there is a 4.0a version out there but just can't seem to find it!

Last edited by tangerines,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have followed this guide, and the troubleshooting part of it too, but I am still booting into the black screen after the dragon with Gateway. I actually did the Emunand/Rednand wipe twice, once using this guide and the other time in Plailect's guide here https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

I wanted to keep all my installed CIAs from my Gateway during my A9LH install so followed the move my emunand section - Section IV - Restoring the System in Plailect's guide as per the link above.

But after the guide it seems that my emunand was cloned to systemnand???

I also used my old existing launcher.dat as the new one keep prompting me to use fastboot. But it just gives me the black screen after the dragon logo....

Please help. I really want to still be able to use the gateway cartridge for the extra memory space! Thanks.

Edit: I just tried the bootloader method linked in this guide, also black screen. At a loss here. Is it the launcher.dat that I am using? I heard that there is a 4.0a version out there but just can't seem to find it!
The old Launcher.dat's cannot boot past 11.1.

This is why I don't even mention them anymore. You must use the newest Launcher.dat. If the prompt is that annoying to you, then your only option is to setup an EmuNAND, so that it stops prompting you about it.

tangerines

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The old Launcher.dat's cannot boot past 11.1.

This is why I don't even mention them anymore. You must use the newest Launcher.dat. If the prompt is that annoying to you, then your only option is to setup an EmuNAND, so that it stops prompting you about it.

Thanks I got it working with the newest launcher.dat

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Followed this guide because I was getting the black screen when booting Gateway mode. So why delete the emuNAND? Why isn't there a step to replace it? Either way, I've got the black screen when launching with Down+Power, still.

Last edited by GuyInDogSuit,

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Followed this guide because I was getting the black screen when booting Gateway mode. So why delete the emuNAND? Why isn't there a step to replace it? Either way, I've got the black screen when launching with Down+Power, still.
A step to replace it? What do you mean? To set one up? Well, ehhh. I mean I guess I could add it for people who really want the GW recommended setup method.

As for your black-screen issue, do you see the GW Dragon?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp