Tutorial  Updated

Using Luma3DS + Gateway on B9S

SYSNAND-ONLY USERS: DO NOT BOOT GW MODE ON 11.3+ - YOU WILL LOSE B9S AND BE LEFT ON A STOCK FIRMWARE
I highly advise against the use of GW on SysNAND-Only Setups.
GW currently DOES NOT support firmwares 11.3//11.4 - B9S does not change that!
If you're on 11.3+ - Don't even try to use GW. Use Luma3DS or any other CFW that has confirmed support for 11.3+ firmwares.

Setting up GW with Luma3DS' chainloader

Requirements: SysNAND or EmuNAND on 11.2 or lower!
Tested and working on B9S 1.2 (Luma3DS 8.0)
  1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
  2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want. However, step 12 will assume v2gw.bin was used, you can edit that reference to meet whatever you decided to name it.
  4. Download GW's ‘arm9loaderhax.bin.zip‘ file.
    • On their main home page. Under the post titled: "GATEWAY 4.0B PRIVATE BETA #2"
    • Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
  5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  6. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "gateway.bin"
  7. Make sure you have the latest GW's Launcher.dat on the root of your SD Card.
  8. This dev-build of BootCTR9: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-the-bootctr9-release-thread.435347/page-3#post-7370533
  9. Extract the "boot.firm" file from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
  10. Rename that very "boot.firm" you just extracted to "down_BootCTR9.firm" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
    - Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
  11. Extract the "boot_config.ini" file from from the BootCTR9-firmv2.zip to the root of your SD Card.
  12. Open the "boot_config.ini" file and overwrite everything with the following:
    Code:
    [BOOTCTR9]
    key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
    path = /luma/payloads/v2gw.bin
  13. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
    - SysNAND-Only Users on 11.2 will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND. DO NOT PRESS THE BUTTON PROMPT ON 11.3+
    - GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

FAQ

Q: How do I boot into the GW Menu?
A: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

Q: Can I use my GW Blue Card?
A: Yes, but only while using Luma3DS. It will not work in GW Mode.

Q: Can I play online while in GW Mode?
A: Yes, sort-of. But you have to either:

Q: I'm getting a black screen!? HELP!?
A: Multiple reasons for that below:
  • Modified SecureInfo_A - GW does not patch this. You'll need an untouched donor file of this.
  • Using a RedNAND - GW only supports GW EmuNAND, it cannot boot RedNAND. Use the GW Menu or GodMode9 to make one.
  • On SysNAND-Only Setups - Not having properly removed EmuNAND//RedNAND. Use GodMode to properly format your SD Card. But I advise you set one up.
  • Trying to boot an 11.3//11.4 EmuNAND - GW does not support anything higher than 11.2
  • If it's not listed, then who knows. Do you have a modified Home Menu or font? Those might not work at all in GW Mode.

Credits

Many thanks to the above lovely people~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-booting-gw-with-b9s-and-some-help.471417/

I highly advise against the use of GW for SysNAND-Only setups.

11.3&11.4 Break GW. GW currently DOES NOT support 11.3 or 11.4. You will either brick or lose A9LH. More than likely it seems you will just lose A9LH.

Again, if you attempt to boot GW Mode, on a SYSNAND-Only Setup while on 11.3 or 11.4, you will lose A9LH. It does not matter if you safely updated to this firmware via another CFW that safely protects FIRM.

If you want to use 11.3+, you will not be able to use GW. Don't even try. Only use Luma3DS or other CFW that support 11.3+

If you are a Gateway3DS user, and have recently finished Plailect's A9LH Guide, then you should be on v2 A9LH. Unfortunately, at the time this thread was made, GW's a9lh.bin file is incompatible with Luma3DS' payload chainloading feature while on v2 A9LH.

So one way around this was to either forego using Luma3DS' payload chainloading, and use a boot manager that does work in initializing GW's a9lh.bin correctly. Like BootCTR9. Either you let BootCTR9 handle all payloads, or you set it up to chainload into Luma3DS and from there let Luma3DS do all the work.

Either way, some people might not like BootCTR9 (Big fan of BootCTR9, seriously thing is amazing~!)

So if you don't want to use the BootCTR9 method, then @Hayleia made a very stripped down boot manager that only loads /luma/payloads/gateway.bin. You still need GW's a9lh.bin in addition to this stripped down bootmanager, but that's all you need, these two files! No need for messy configs if you just want to stick with Luma3DS' payload chainloader.

Now on to the damn tutorials already~!

Gateway Logo

1. Download the v2gw.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "arm9loaderhax.bin" from v2gw.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "arm9loaderhax.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
5. Extract GW's "arm9loaderhax.bin" file from their zip file to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode.
However, if you are a SysNAND Only User, and on 11.1 and using the 4.2 Launcher.dat, you will be prompted to press 'L+R+SELECT' to boot SYSNAND.
GW EmuNAND users will automatically boot into their GW EmuNAND.

Notes: To Boot into the GW Menu: Hold L+Select, as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.
To Force a Manual Gateway3DS RedCard Update: Hold R+Select as soon as you see the Dragon Logo.

No Gateway Logo (Not Recommend - Only for those allergic to the dragon logo - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Notes: This version will de-init the screen by default, and as such you won't see the Gateway Logo. Don't worry it'll init once you land on the Home. Due to how this works, only GW EmuNAND users should consider using this. This is because SysNAND users will land on the SysNAND prompt nag.

1. Download the v2gw-de-init.zip attached to this post.
2. Extract the "v2gw.bin" from v2gw-de-init.zip to your /luma/payloads/ folder.
3. Rename that very "v2gw2.bin" you just extracted to "down_v2gw.bin" or to whatever you want that is allowed by Luma3DS' payload chainloader.
Other button options: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/wiki/Other-features-and-notes#payload-chainloading
You have to get this directly from Gateway's site. Which is either:
A) On their main home page.
B) Or on their openly public Private Beta Program page, on this page it'll be under the "» arm9loaderhax for users with existing a9lh installs" section.
8. You are now done. If you followed this tutorial, holding DPAD-DOWN at boot time, will load up Gateway Mode without the Gateway Logo.

Tested on N3DS and O3DS by me, 2DS by @Hayleia.
Should work on either screen-init or non-screen-init v2 A9LH.

Important Note: Never update your SysNAND in Gateway Mode. It does not matter what Launcher.dat version you use, if you go ahead and update while in SysNAND Mode, you will either brick or lose A9LH+CFW and be on the latest stock firmware. This is because GW Mode does not offer FIRM protection in A9LH. Updating your GW EmuNAND is fine and safe, and is what Gateway actually recommends you do and use even when using A9LH.

!~Getting Black Screen After Dragon Logo and After Following This Guide~! (PLEASE READ)
Sounds like someone hasn't properly removed their EmuNAND//RedNAND with EmuNAND9. The Black Screen problem is common to people who skipped doing it properly and used a third-party tool like EaseUS or any other partition manager.

Since EmuNAND//RedNAND wasn't removed properly, traces were leftover and GW by default sees it, and tries to boot into this non-existent EmuNAND//RedNAND and fails. So how do we fix it? We use EmuNAND9 to preperly remove traces of it.

Part 5, Section V of the old A9LH guide covers this. However, I will list all relevant steps here.
Link: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide_R...ax)#section-v---removing-rednand-from-your-sd

The new guide also sort of mentions if in this new page, and does show you how to setup EmuNAND9:
Link: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/move-emunand

Files we'll need:
Latest release of EmuNAND9: https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases/latest

1. Copy EmuNAND9.bin from the EmuNAND9.zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card and rename EmuNAND9.bin to y_EmuNAND9.bin
2. Backup every file on your SD card to a folder on your computer, all files will be deleted in the following steps
3. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS
4. Hold (Y) at boot time to open EmuNAND9
5. Go to "SD Format Options...", then select the "Format SD (no EmuNAND)" option, and wait for it to finish
6. Press (B) to return to the menu, then press Select to safely eject your SD Card
7. Put your SD card back into your computer, and copy all the files you backed up previously, back into your SD Card
8. Reinsert your SD card into your 3DS, then press (Start) to reboot

Additional Note: You will still have to look into BootCTR9 if for some reason you want GW to be the default, as opposed to Luma3DS. This tutorial is meant more for the people who want Luma3DS as their main//default, and want to use Luma3DS' payload chainloader to boot into GW Mode.
Go to the following link for the tutorial on setting up GW as your main with BootCTR9.
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/

All credits to @Hayleia for making both of these~! Thank you~ <3 ♥
Original posts:
Link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-gateway-on-a9lh-v2.431222/page-4#post-6464898
Link: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/page-4#post-6472283

Attachments

• v2gw.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 12,151
  • v2gw-de-init.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 3,293
Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

Lokan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Could someone please explain to me: i have currently 11.2 sysnand with a9lh and luma and gw emunand 11.0. Can i update to b9s and then have 11.6 sysnand with luma to remove the freaking browser nag(i currently can't use browser and can't download mii in miitopia on sysnand :sad: so that's the only reason i want to update as httpwn doesn't help at all :cry:)??
Thank you in advance!

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Could someone please explain to me: i have currently 11.2 sysnand with a9lh and luma and gw emunand 11.0. Can i update to b9s and then have 11.6 sysnand with luma to remove the freaking browser nag(i currently can't use browser and can't download mii in miitopia on sysnand :sad: so that's the only reason i want to update as httpwn doesn't help at all :cry:)??
Thank you in advance!
you'll want to upgrade to b9s, as it will update your luma as well
after that, we need to figure out how exactly you are booting into gw mode via luma's chainloader, what kind of .bins you're using, since once you upgrade to b9s, those .bins won't work, you'll only be working with .firms

Reactions: Lokan

Lokan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
you'll want to upgrade to b9s, as it will update your luma as well
after that, we need to figure out how exactly you are booting into gw mode via luma's chainloader, what kind of .bins you're using, since once you upgrade to b9s, those .bins won't work, you'll only be working with .firms
So will i be able to use GW emunand after i update to b9s or not? This guide says that sysnand only users should not update above 11.3. What does sysnand only mean? If i have separate sysnand and gw emunand i am not sysnand only, right?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will i be able to use GW emunand after i update to b9s or not? This guide says that sysnand only users should not update above 11.3. What does sysnand only mean? If i have separate sysnand and gw emunand i am not sysnand only, right?

If you have emuNAND unlinked from sysNAND you will be fine. The bold print is just a warning to sysNAND only GW users that updating past 11.2 sysNAND (part of the B9S guide, but optional) will remove B9S when you boot into GW mode. Using the steps in this Tut will boot you directly into emuNAND with a GW card in the console. If you don't have an emuNAND, the launcher will prompt you to press L+R+start to boot into GW sysNAND mode.

I just went through this myself (albiet not coming from A9LH), but 9.0 sysNAND and recreating my emuNAND from scratch.

For you, follow the link MrJason005 linked, then follow this guide and you should be fine. Remember updating sysNAND during the guide is completely optional, so you can test to your hearts content and making sure your system is good to go for a sysNAND upgrade. As always, make backups of sysNAND/emuNAND and your SD card before doing anything!

Lokan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thank you for your answers, Maximilious and MrJason005! I've managed to update to b9s and sysnand 11.6 while saving my GW emunand. Friends list and miiverse are frozen on sysnand but i read waiting for 20 minutes should help - which is what i am attempting now :D
UPD: Ok, after literally 50 minutes of waiting the friends list loaded. It took its sweet time for sure

Last edited by Lokan,
Reactions: Maximilious

1alien1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hej kazuma, if i want to update my files on the 3ds with your all in one files, what do i have to do? when i hacked my n3dsxl some months back i think i used your ai5 pack, but now its at update 5. what files do i want to copy over to my sd, what files do i want to delete or overwrite etc? thank you :)

1alien1

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hej kazuma, if i want to update my files on the 3ds with your all in one files, what do i have to do? when i hacked my n3dsxl some months back i think i used your ai5 pack, but now its at update 5. what files do i want to copy over to my sd, what files do i want to delete or overwrite etc? thank you :)

anyone who can help me with updating everything to the latest files?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, in the process the educate myself on how to install b9s on my system while keeping GW functionality intact, I have a couple questions:

1.The guide in the OP is outdated now that "Gateway.firm" is available, correct?
If not, what's the difference between using "vg2gw.bin" and "Gateway.firm"?

2. I'm on N3DS w/ Sysnand 9.1J (with just 'system settings' downgraded for MSET, never installed A9LH or GW fastboot etc..) and using GW with emunand 11.6 (franken-updated but working perfect).
I'm reading the https://3ds.guide and it doesn't mention using MSET to install b9s, is there a way? kazuma seemed to hint this is possible.

Ideally I just wish to use b9s so that my N3DS autoboots to GW Emunand (for now, maybe i'll use luma later after converting all my .3DS games to cia, their saves etc), what is the easiest way to achieve this?
There are a handful of guides, most of which are more or less outdated now, and I'm pretty confused as to which method is most suited for my goal. Thanks.

Last edited by TheShadowRunner,

Djibuti

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello there, I have an O3DS at firmware 10.7 and just got a Gateway as a gift. Would this tutorial work fine on it or should I downgrade it first?

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there, I have an O3DS at firmware 10.7 and just got a Gateway as a gift. Would this tutorial work fine on it or should I downgrade it first?

If you've never used GW and don't have emunand setup on version 11.2, I'd highly suggest not even using it and just using CFW on your 3DS.

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
You may want to hold off though. I'm about to release a new version that places all of the scripts into 3 pre-compiled apps. No more uncompiled scripts for setting things like default payloads and hotkeys. It will all be in the "Settings" app (which will be hotkeyed to R). You'll be able to change all that stuff I mentioned just by holding R at boot. The rest of the options, like ticket synchronizing, will be in the "Options" and "NAND Manager" apps. Both of which will be on the "extras" menu (hold down at boot). I'll also be expanding GW save conversion to work with Checkpoint (CIA version only though, due to how GW works), expanding on the ticket synchronization functionality by adding backup and restore features, and adding extra troubleshooting features, like one to delete Menuhax. I'm just working on a few finishing touches and typing the documentation. It should be out by the end of the week.

Hello again Kazuma77, and of course thank you in advance for all the incredible InScripted package. I recommend it to everybody who asks me about 3DS these days.

I did have one question that I came across that hopefully you can clarify. I am attempting to convert an a9lh N3DS to Sighax using your installer. From the readme:

InScripted AIO R11 Installers Readme.txt said:
A9LH to Sighax: If you already have A9LH installed, just copy the contents of the "N3DS" or "O3DS" folder (depending on which you have) from the "B9S Configurations" folder and the "A9LH to Sighax" folder to your SD card.

Please forgive me for what certainly must be the noobest question you've received in quite some time, but where exactly is this "B9S Configurations" folder? I've searched through the entire archive and can't for the life of me find it anywhere...

My best guess would be that it is in the root of the archive, but I see only "Configurations (A9LH)" and "Configurations (Sighax)"

Now, in v9 of InScripted, there is absolutely a B9S Configurations folder present, but you made mention that you have made a lot of changes to the backend and updated all sorts of software and scripts - is it safe to use this B9S Configurations folder from v9? Is it outdated? Or should I be looking for something else that I'm missing in v11?

Last edited by chango,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, could you tell me that i should unlink emunad after creating it?

It's personal preference. If they are linked you will face the known "gift wrap bug" (google it). You also won't be able to change themes between sysNAND and emuNAND to better help you differentiate which you are booted to. Otherwise everything else should operate fine. I personally always unlink so I can keep different theme's (3DS theme's for sysNAND, blanket red theme for GW emuNAND)

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's personal preference. If they are linked you will face the known "gift wrap bug" (google it). You also won't be able to change themes between sysNAND and emuNAND to better help you differentiate which you are booted to. Otherwise everything else should operate fine. I personally always unlink so I can keep different theme's (3DS theme's for sysNAND, blanket red theme for GW emuNAND)

Maximus please give me good link to tut how to unlink emunad much thanks

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maximus please give me good link to tut how to unlink emunad much thanks

1. Backup sysNAND
2. Create emuNAND
3. Boot to emuNAND and make sure it was created correctly (check System Settings and that GW-X.X.X is showing in the version number)
4. Reboot to sysNAND
5. Factory Reset sysNAND
6. Go through new system setup steps
7. sysNAND and emuNAND are now unlinked

Once unlinked, you should have two folders on your SD card under the 3DS folder that are named differently (very long hash names). It will look something like this:

Root\3DS\SomeLongFolderNameWithRandomCharacters (x2)

Reactions: wiewiec

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Backup sysNAND
2. Create emuNAND
3. Boot to emuNAND and make sure it was created correctly (check System Settings and that GW-X.X.X is showing in the version number)
4. Reboot to sysNAND
5. Factory Reset sysNAND

Once unlinked, you should have two folders on your SD card under the 3DS folder that are named differently (very long hash names). It will look something like this:

Much much thank you!

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Backup sysNAND
2. Create emuNAND
4. Reboot to sysNAND
5. Factory Reset sysNAND

Hi again I have problem - 3DS is not booting to emunand (formating again by Gateway menu, before by GodMode9) - could you zip pack the folders from 1st post and send me on any kind of servers (from your sd card) maybe i have different versions since even on gateway 3ds site files have diffeerent names (zips). Thanks again ;-)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello again Kazuma77, and of course thank you in advance for all the incredible InScripted package. I recommend it to everybody who asks me about 3DS these days.

I did have one question that I came across that hopefully you can clarify. I am attempting to convert an a9lh N3DS to Sighax using your installer. From the readme:

Please forgive me for what certainly must be the noobest question you've received in quite some time, but where exactly is this "B9S Configurations" folder? I've searched through the entire archive and can't for the life of me find it anywhere...

My best guess would be that it is in the root of the archive, but I see only "Configurations (A9LH)" and "Configurations (Sighax)"

Now, in v9 of InScripted, there is absolutely a B9S Configurations folder present, but you made mention that you have made a lot of changes to the backend and updated all sorts of software and scripts - is it safe to use this B9S Configurations folder from v9? Is it outdated? Or should I be looking for something else that I'm missing in v11?

It's the "Configurations (Sighax)" folder now. I did some renaming for organization/clarification. Just use that one and you should be fine. I thought I changed all the documentation to coincide with this renaming. I'll double check before my next release (not sure when that will be at this point).

That's why I include the option to synchronize tickets in InScripted. No gift wrap issues as long as you synchronize before switching. Themes are shared, but ironically, folders are not. So you could easily make a folder named "EmuNAND" or just "E" and know which is which. I find the convenience of being able to play the same games on both worth the hassle of having to synchronize after installing new games. But to each their own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Happy birthday! +1