Tutorial  Updated

Prevent updates by removing the system's update folder

This method isn't particuarly new or discovered by me, it's just my own take on a guide that simplifies this process as much as possible. it's now easier than ever to remove the system's update folder thanks to rikumax's script. It's basically free from user error and you don't have to learn how to use FTP clients.

Explanation

Preventing system updates is a normal procedure when it comes to Wii U, especially since the system is set to automatically download and install system updates. One way of preventing them was to use someone's DNS server to block Nintendo's servers. But what if I said you don't have to block anything yet still prevent updates?

By deleting your system's update folder, you prevent all forms of system updates without DNS. This is where updates are stored before they are applied to your system. With no update folder, the system cannot possibly update. Of course you can always recreate this folder any time that you want to purposely update. The process is as simple as running CFW, launching FtpiiU Everywhere, and running a script on your PC to delete the update folder from your system. This is not at all dangerous and holds no risks, not even user error. Once done, you won't ever have to worry about system updates again. You can remain on 5.5.1 if you want to, and 5.5.2 users don't have to worry about the next incoming updates in the future which pretty much makes you futureproof.

Benefits
This benefits you by not making you use DNS, which caused some issues. Some users couldn't use NNU Patcher while using DNS and they just could not download game updates no matter what. Another issue is that annoying "Pending download" in download management when you try to download anything while you have a "Failed system update" preventing all downloads. DNS overall became problematic on Wii U so this new method will become more reliable for blocking system updates compared to DNS, especially in the longrun.

Instructions

1. Download this version of FTPiiu Everywhere
Ftpiiu Everywhere for Mocha

2. Once downloaded, open the zip and extract the wiiu folder to your SD card
3. Put the SD card into your Wii U and run Mocha CFW
4. Now run Homebrew Launcher and boot up Ftpiiu Everywhere that you added earlier
5. Your Wii U's IP Address will be displayed on the gamepad, make note of it
6. Download rikumax's script HERE
7. Open the zip and extract the release folder
8. Run ConsoleApplication1.exe (Note: Non-Windows users can use Wine or Mono)
9. It wll begin to ask you a series of questions. Enter your Wii U's IP shown on the gamepad which looks something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.0
Note: If you get an error saying "No such file or directory" it means you didn't launch CFW before launching Ftpiiu Everywhere.
10. Then it will ask if you want to delete the update folder or create an update folder. Type the number shown by the option you want and press enter
11. If you receive no errors, then it was successful and you are done

Now that your system's update folder has been deleted, you should be safe from any system updates from here on. You can set your DNS setting back to
Auto-Obtain. You can test this by purposely trying to update the system in system settings. You'll get an error code, saying that you need to remove an update from download management. This means there's nowhere to store update files so the system cannot update. Only you can recreate the update folder, the system will not generate one on it's own.

Recreating the update folder
To recreate the update folder, simply follow steps 3-11 but choose create folder instead. This is only necessary if you wanted to update purposely.

Note that if you're on 5.5.1, you'll still need to run NNU Patcher for Eshop access or game updates. This is because Eshop normally requires you to be on the latest system update, but NNU Patcher disables the update check temporarily. But at least now you won't have to deal with any issues brought by using DNS.

If this fails and you've given up trying, you can try the manual method here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/block-wii-u-system-updates-without-dns-blocking.477944/

Last edited by MattKimura,

brunormalmeida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does this only block system updates, and not game updates?
Correct

Edit: But sometimes Wii U will ask you to update firmware in order to update one game or app. So you'll just have to run nnu patcher and update your game/app.

Edit 2: Pretty nice guide, @MattKimura. Congratulations!!!

Last edited by brunormalmeida,

Boss69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This method isn't particuarly new or discovered by me, it's just my own take on a guide that simplifies this process as much as possible. it's now easier than ever to remove the system's update folder thanks to rikumax's script. It's basically free from user error and you don't have to learn how to use FTP clients.

Explanation

Preventing system updates is a normal procedure when it comes to Wii U, especially since the system is set to automatically download and install system updates. One way of preventing them was to use someone's DNS server to block Nintendo's servers. But what if I said you don't have to block anything yet still prevent updates?

By deleting your system's update folder, you prevent all forms of system updates without DNS. This is where updates are stored before they are applied to your system. With no update folder, the system cannot possibly update. Of course you can always recreate this folder any time that you want to purposely update. The process is as simple as running CFW, launching FtpiiU Everywhere, and running a script on your PC to delete the update folder from your system. This is not at all dangerous and holds no risks, not even user error. Once done, you won't ever have to worry about system updates again. You can remain on 5.5.1 if you want to, and 5.5.2 users don't have to worry about the next incoming updates in the future which pretty much makes you futureproof.

Benefits
This benefits you by not making you use DNS, which caused some issues. Some users couldn't use NNU Patcher while using DNS and they just could not download game updates no matter what. Another issue is that annoying "Pending download" in download management when you try to download anything while you have a "Failed system update" preventing all downloads. DNS overall became problematic on Wii U so this new method will become more reliable for blocking system updates compared to DNS, especially in the longrun.

Instructions

1. Download the version of FTPiiu Everywhere depending on the CFW that you use

Ftpiiu Everywhere for Haxchi/CBHC

Ftpiiu Everywhere for Mocha

2. Once downloaded, open the zip and extract the wiiu folder to your SD card
3. Put the SD card into your Wii U and run CFW that you use, whether it be Mocha, or Haxchi/CBHC's CFW
4. Now run Homebrew Launcher and boot up Ftpiiu Everywhere that you added earlier
5. Your Wii U's IP Address will be displayed on the gamepad, make note of it
6. Download rikumax's script HERE
7. Open the zip and extract the release folder
8. Run ConsoleApplication.exe
9. It wll begin to ask you a series of questions. Enter your Wii U's IP shown on the gamepad which looks something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.0
10. Then it will ask if you want to delete the update folder or create an update folder. Type the number shown by the option you want and press enter
11. If you receive no errors, then it was successful and you are done

Now that your system's update folder has been deleted, you should be safe from any system updates from here on. You can set your DNS setting back to
Auto-Obtain. You can test this by purposely trying to update the system in system settings. You'll get an error code, saying that you need to remove an update from download management. This means there's nowhere to store update files so the system cannot update. Only you can recreate the update folder, the system will not generate one on it's own.

Recreating the update folder
To recreate the update folder, simply follow steps 3-11 but choose create folder instead. This is only necessary if you wanted to update purposely.

Note that if you're on 5.5.1, you'll still need to run NNU Patcher for Eshop access or game updates. This is because Eshop normally requires you to be on the latest system update, but NNU Patcher disables the update check temporarily. But at least now you won't have to deal with any issues brought by using DNS.
after i type in my ip and hit enter, (it does its thing) then consoleApplication1.exe crashes. is that supposed to happen?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The script is also just deleting the folder via ftp commands so you can also just go to the path detailed in program.cs of the repo with your favorite ftp client and delete it or recreate it if you already have a good setup for ftp.
Nice solution to the update problem though.

Last edited by Wuigi,

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
The script is also just deleting the folder via ftp commands so you can also just go to the path detailed in program.cs of the repo with your favorite ftp client and delete it or recreate it if you already have a good setup for ftp.
Nice solution to the update problem though.
this is meant for people not familiar with ftp :unsure:

Jhnsn

*Flat is Justice*
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can't start any game now because it wants to install an already downloaded but deleted update. Error every time the Wii U boots up or if I leave the system settings. What should I do? Recreating the update folder didn't help. In the Download Management it shows the system update as completed.

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Can't start any game now because it wants to install an already downloaded but deleted update. Error every time the Wii U boots up or if I leave the system settings. What should I do? Recreating the update folder didn't help. In the Download Management it shows the system update as completed.
the update folder isnt at fault here, remove the update folder again, put auto dns and restart. If the failed download its still there, open Download Management and unplug your console from the back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...