Tutorial  Updated

Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

How To Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

In this tutorial I'll show you how to install the patched "TWL_FIRM" CIA so you're able to play blocked DS cartridges like as example Flashcards that were blocked by Nintendo over the years. However keep in mind that not every Flashcard works this way and, as example, the Action Replay DSi Card only ends up in a white bootup-screen without going further!

------------------------------------------------------------

What You'll Need:

• (Recommended) EmuNAND setup
  • (Recommended) EmuNAND/SysNAND backup before you begin, as example with EmuNAND9
  • TWL_FIRM.zip (this pack would be illegal to upload on GBATemp, please search on Google, the pack I used here was from someone named "AuroraWright" from a certain ISO-Site)
  • A CIA manager (recommended: FBI)
  • TWL Slot-1 Launcher (only needed for some flashcards which won't show up else)

Step 0 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Make an SysNAND/EmuNAND backup
  • This step is only recommended but NOT MANDATORY! But in case you derp something up you'll thank me later
  • Simply use a tool like EmuNAND9, start it via Homebrew Launcher (in SysNAND/"Menuhax" mode) and go to "EmuNAND Manager Options" > "Dump EmuNAND to EmuNAND.bin" and you're good to go.

Step 1 - Copy the right CIA file to your 3DS
  • Unpack the downloaded "TWL_FIRM.zip" file somewhere on your PC.
  • There are 2 files now, "twlfirm_n3ds.cia" and "twlfirm_o3ds.cia". You need to choose the right one for your 3DS.
  • You need to choose the "n3ds" one if your 3DS is a "New 3DS" or "New 3DS XL".
  • You need to choose the "o3ds" one if your 3DS is a "3DS", "3DS XL" or a "2DS".
  • Once you know which file to copy over simply put it in any folder you'll later find it again, as example "X:/CIA/Patches"

Step 2 - Use FBI/Install FBI into home menu
  • I cannot really provide a guide on how to install FBI here so you should refer to the official, above mentioned FBI thread on how to install it. However I recommend using the home menu installed version (aka. CIA version) so there won't be any problems now since this is a system CIA we're going to replace here.

Step 3 - Use FBI in NAND-Mode and install the CIA
  • Open FBI (obviously :P)
  • Press the "L" button once, on the top-screen you should now read a text that says "Destination: NAND". IF YOU FORGET THIS YOU'LL GET AN ERROR NOW!
  • Now go to the folder you've placed the right CIA from Step 1 into.
  • Select it and press "A" to install. Press "A" again to confirm it.
    • If you now get an error like "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMBINATION" you've not followed all steps here. Go back by pressing "Start" and then pressing "L" to switch to NAND-Mode. Now try to install the CIA again.
  • After this it'll tell you that the title is already installed. Simply press "A" to overwrite it.
  • Once done press "Start" and go back to your home menu/homebrew launcher.

Step 4 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Install TWL Slot-1 Launcher
  • Since you already know how to install CIA files from Step 3 simply download the above mentioned "TWL Slot-1 Launcher" CIA and install it again as mentioned in Step 3, however this time it'll not ask you to replace anything and install it right away.
  • This will help you later on to start cartridges which you'd not be able to start else.

Okay, that's it!
If you have any questions please ask them here but try to provide as many infos as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*** Guide Changelogs ***

11.02.2016 - 16:39: INITIAL GUIDE VERSION
12.02.2016 - 21:35: Fix design-issues due to the "super nice mods" merging posts... Gee, thanks guys... :angry:

Last edited by EpicLPer,

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have no idea how to update rxtools with the way it's set up now. I am using a .3dsx file being booted by rxtools. There is a .3dsx file in the nightly build i downloaded, but i am not sure if it would be as simple as replacing the files I have now. last time i messed with rxtools, i borke it and had to reformat the sd to get it working again.
It should be the same, just make a backup just in case though. Any reason to be using the .3dsx file instead of the code.bin btw?

OP, you should probably add a warning telling than RxTools ignores the patched TWL_FIRM and a link to the latest nightly.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I use it is that it boots into emunand automatically, kinda. the other reason i use it is because i cannot get the web launcher or the hbl launcher to work, they either softlock, or give an error. after attempting to use the new nightly .3dsx, i found that using menuhax to boot it softlocks like the other methods for some reason.

Last edited by samcambolt270,

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The reason I use it is that it boots into emunand automatically, kinda. the other reason i use it is because i cannot get the web launcher or the hbl launcher to work, they either softlock, or give an error. after attempting to use the new nightly .3dsx, i found that using menuhax to boot it softlocks like the other methods for some reason.
You should try CTRBootManager to boot the code.bin from Menuhax.
Also it's kinda weird that your Homebrew Launcher refuses to load. How did you install Menuhax like that? :P Did you try to clean your browser data? And if you downgraded, have you checked if it's a proper downgrade?

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should try CTRBootManager to boot the code.bin from Menuhax.
Also it's kinda weird that your Homebrew Launcher refuses to load. How did you install Menuhax like that? :P Did you try to clean your browser data? And if you downgraded, have you checked if it's a proper downgrade?
the homebrew menu won't launch (i think) becuase i replaced the boot.3dsx with the rxtools.3dsx, so that menuhax would boot rxtools instead of the homebrew menu. I have no idea what ctrbootmanger is, or code.bin, so if you know of a tutorial for that, it would be appreciated. also, what i meant by the web launcher wont work, was that when i use the "launch.rxtools.net" website, i get an "error has occurred".
Edit: after checking out the ctrbootmanager, i found this works great, and is alot better than my old method. it has a far higher boot success rate too, which is a bonus.
Edit again: also, it appears that updating rxtools did not affect the dsiware at all...

Reactions: matpower

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the homebrew menu won't launch (i think) becuase i replaced the boot.3dsx with the rxtools.3dsx, so that menuhax would boot rxtools instead of the homebrew menu. I have no idea what ctrbootmanger is, or code.bin, so if you know of a tutorial for that, it would be appreciated. also, what i meant by the web launcher wont work, was that when i use the "launch.rxtools.net" website, i get an "error has occurred".
Edit: after checking out the ctrbootmanager, i found this works great, and is alot better than my old method. it has a far higher boot success rate too, which is a bonus.
Edit again: also, it appears that updating rxtools did not affect the dsiware at all...
Hmm, what DSiWare are you trying to run? Even with the patched TWL_FIRM, you still need to install them both to sysNAND and emuNAND unless it's TWLSlot1Launcher AFAIK.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, what DSiWare are you trying to run? Even with the patched TWL_FIRM, you still need to install them both to sysNAND and emuNAND unless it's TWLSlot1Launcher AFAIK.
hmmm...I didn't know i needed to install them to both... I don't even know if i can without the homebrew menu...
I guess i could temporarily change the boot.3dsx and use pastaCfw+fbi to install the cia's to sysnand... i'll try this...
Edit: though first i will try this "slot1launcher"
Edit again: it doesnt boot, this tells me i probably am not using the new rxtools. I will attempt to remedy this.
Edit 3, Electric Boogaloo: it appears that the newest nightly will not launch with ctrbootmanager :(

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
hmmm...I didn't know i needed to install them to both... I don't even know if i can without the homebrew menu...
I guess i could temporarily change the boot.3dsx and use pastaCfw+fbi to install the cia's to sysnand... i'll try this...
Edit: though first i will try this "slot1launcher"
Edit again: it doesnt boot, this tells me i probably am not using the new rxtools. I will attempt to remedy this.
Make sure to use the latest NIGHTLY build, not the Beta 2 or older. Also rxTools has an sysNAND mode, press "L" while booting RxTools, press "A" on RxMode and press "X" to select sysNAND, latest version should have a hotkey for that, so you just need to turn your 3DS on pressing X(And maybe whatever key you have to stop menuHax from starting up), it also has a Pasta/Dev Mode, which is just signature patches, you won't need it unless you downgrade your NAND.
Also this slot1launcher won't work without a DS cartridge like an original game or a flashcard like the DSTwo or the Acekard 2.1/2i :P

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure to use the latest NIGHTLY build, not the Beta 2 or older. Also rxTools has an sysNAND mode, press "L" while booting RxTools, press "A" on RxMode and press "X" to select sysNAND, latest version should have a hotkey for that, so you just need to turn your 3DS on pressing X(And maybe whatever key you have to stop menuHax from starting up), it also has a Pasta/Dev Mode, which is just signature patches, you won't need it unless you downgrade your NAND.
Also this slot1launcher won't work without a DS cartridge like an original game or a flashcard like the DSTwo or the Acekard 2.1/2i :P
I can't get the newest nightly to boot with ctr for some reason, i am in the process of trying each previous nightly. (or at least, i would be, if i could get the list to load)

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't get the newest nightly to boot with ctr for some reason, i am in the process of trying each previous nightly. (or at least, i would be, if i could get the list to load)
Well, if it still doesn't work, delete your previous rxTools folder(hopefully you have a backup :P), copy the new one from the latest and make sure to have the "firm" folder from the script.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if it still doesn't work, delete your previous rxTools folder(hopefully you have a backup :P), copy the new one from the latest and make sure to have the "firm" folder from the script.
I just checked, it was a beta not the nightly, i actually do have the most recent nightly.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just checked, it was a beta not the nightly, i actually do have the most recent nightly.
Well, if you have the latest nightly, the TWL_FIRM should be already patched, just install your DSiWare in both sysNAND and emuNAND, it should work fine after that on emuNAND. That's a limitation of emuNAND AFAIK, same for GBA VC games, you need to install them both on sysNAND and emuNAND.

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you have the latest nightly, the TWL_FIRM should be already patched, just install your DSiWare in both sysNAND and emuNAND, it should work fine after that on emuNAND. That's a limitation of emuNAND AFAIK, same for GBA VC games, you need to install them both on sysNAND and emuNAND.
I'll try that now.

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this guide safe to use if im using a9lx exploit and have swapped may nands, so im using sysnand for all my cias??

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's okay, there's no permanent damage. The reason that DS mode no longer works in sysNAND is because the modified TWL_FIRM it tries to use when you play a DS game is not signed, so it will only work if you are running some kind of CFW. What you need to do is reinstall the original N3DS TWL_FIRM on sysNAND. You can download it using 3DNUS - use the title 0004013820000102 and version 9936 (I hope I am allowed to say that). Make sure to install it with BigBlueMenu or DevMenu, because FBI does not work.
I think I somehow managed to brick my TWL_FIRM with this. Using your suggestion installing that title with that version had no change. I still boot to a black screen. I'm on a 10.6 USA SysNAND (A9LH, but that does not interfere).

Is there a way to reinstall TWL_FIRM from scratch? I don't have a proper working backup of it, I just know it stopped working shortly after I stupidly applied these patches to my SysNAND. My EmuNAND partition also has corrupted TWL_FIRM.

I know TWL_FIRM is fucked because trying to launch DS Download Play black screens me.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think I somehow managed to brick my TWL_FIRM with this. Using your suggestion installing that title with that version had no change. I still boot to a black screen. I'm on a 10.6 USA SysNAND (A9LH, but that does not interfere).

Is there a way to reinstall TWL_FIRM from scratch? I don't have a proper working backup of it, I just know it stopped working shortly after I stupidly applied these patches to my SysNAND. My EmuNAND partition also has corrupted TWL_FIRM.

I know TWL_FIRM is fucked because trying to launch DS Download Play black screens me.
Yes, get the original TWL_FIRM on 3DNUS, its ID is 0004013800000102 for the o3DS, not sure about the version anymore, but I think that you can get any version to overwrite the corrupted one. :unsure:

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, get the original TWL_FIRM on 3DNUS, its ID is 0004013800000102 for the o3DS, not sure about the version anymore, but I think that you can get any version to overwrite the corrupted one. :unsure:
This seems to have absolutely no effect.

I get the black screen trying to launch DS Download Play and my flash cart.

Overwrote the TWL_FIRM with that one from 3DNUS,

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
So I was using rxTools on my N3DS and I tried to run a card on it. I tried installing the firm file and the TWL_slot 1 from Apache thunder and I did not work. I did manage to make it work on my o3DS without this program but I have not been able to make it work so far. So I installed Reinand to try it out and after patching twl firm cartridge worked without using the TWL_slot1 program from Apache thunder.

I am now more interested in correctly setting up Reinand for my N3DS and would appreciate if you could explain a bit more what other extra tools, the NTR intergration and overclock plugins do so I could have a similar experience to using rxTools which I'm happy about.

I can confirm that patching the emunand´s twl firm on Reinand works perfectly. I see no reason why anyone would not use Reinand if they have a New 3ds, you only download a couple of extra tools, hit it with some NTR integration for Region Free and overclock plugins and you pretty much own anything rx tools can do (On n3ds atleast).

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
This allowed my R4i Gold 3DS card to start working on my 3DS. I have the version without the RTS mark and it is a rev 6 cart so it got blacklisted on 4.5.0 and couldn't be updated further. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs