Tutorial  Updated

Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

How To Patch TWL_FIRM to play normally blocked DS games

In this tutorial I'll show you how to install the patched "TWL_FIRM" CIA so you're able to play blocked DS cartridges like as example Flashcards that were blocked by Nintendo over the years. However keep in mind that not every Flashcard works this way and, as example, the Action Replay DSi Card only ends up in a white bootup-screen without going further!

------------------------------------------------------------

What You'll Need:

• (Recommended) EmuNAND setup
  • (Recommended) EmuNAND/SysNAND backup before you begin, as example with EmuNAND9
  • TWL_FIRM.zip (this pack would be illegal to upload on GBATemp, please search on Google, the pack I used here was from someone named "AuroraWright" from a certain ISO-Site)
  • A CIA manager (recommended: FBI)
  • TWL Slot-1 Launcher (only needed for some flashcards which won't show up else)

Step 0 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Make an SysNAND/EmuNAND backup
  • This step is only recommended but NOT MANDATORY! But in case you derp something up you'll thank me later
  • Simply use a tool like EmuNAND9, start it via Homebrew Launcher (in SysNAND/"Menuhax" mode) and go to "EmuNAND Manager Options" > "Dump EmuNAND to EmuNAND.bin" and you're good to go.

Step 1 - Copy the right CIA file to your 3DS
  • Unpack the downloaded "TWL_FIRM.zip" file somewhere on your PC.
  • There are 2 files now, "twlfirm_n3ds.cia" and "twlfirm_o3ds.cia". You need to choose the right one for your 3DS.
  • You need to choose the "n3ds" one if your 3DS is a "New 3DS" or "New 3DS XL".
  • You need to choose the "o3ds" one if your 3DS is a "3DS", "3DS XL" or a "2DS".
  • Once you know which file to copy over simply put it in any folder you'll later find it again, as example "X:/CIA/Patches"

Step 2 - Use FBI/Install FBI into home menu
  • I cannot really provide a guide on how to install FBI here so you should refer to the official, above mentioned FBI thread on how to install it. However I recommend using the home menu installed version (aka. CIA version) so there won't be any problems now since this is a system CIA we're going to replace here.

Step 3 - Use FBI in NAND-Mode and install the CIA
  • Open FBI (obviously :P)
  • Press the "L" button once, on the top-screen you should now read a text that says "Destination: NAND". IF YOU FORGET THIS YOU'LL GET AN ERROR NOW!
  • Now go to the folder you've placed the right CIA from Step 1 into.
  • Select it and press "A" to install. Press "A" again to confirm it.
    • If you now get an error like "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_COMBINATION" you've not followed all steps here. Go back by pressing "Start" and then pressing "L" to switch to NAND-Mode. Now try to install the CIA again.
  • After this it'll tell you that the title is already installed. Simply press "A" to overwrite it.
  • Once done press "Start" and go back to your home menu/homebrew launcher.

Step 4 (only recommended, not mandatory) - Install TWL Slot-1 Launcher
  • Since you already know how to install CIA files from Step 3 simply download the above mentioned "TWL Slot-1 Launcher" CIA and install it again as mentioned in Step 3, however this time it'll not ask you to replace anything and install it right away.
  • This will help you later on to start cartridges which you'd not be able to start else.

Okay, that's it!
If you have any questions please ask them here but try to provide as many infos as possible!

Thanks for reading :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*** Guide Changelogs ***

11.02.2016 - 16:39: INITIAL GUIDE VERSION
12.02.2016 - 21:35: Fix design-issues due to the "super nice mods" merging posts... Gee, thanks guys... :angry:

Last edited by EpicLPer,

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using RxTools, OLD3DS, Dont know what is "banner" and Emunand 10.5.

Thanks
A banner is basically an icon and description of a cartridge, most of the classic DS flashcards used an autoboot exploit, so they don't have a banner, and won't work in a DSi/3DS since that exploit was patched.
You should try the latest version of RxTools if you haven't updated yet, I was using an older build with a manually patched TWL_FIRM and the TWL Slot1 Launcher refused to work.

Now, if that doesn't work, try to run it with TWL Slot 1 Launcher and check if your R4's firmware doesn't have some crappy expiration date, you can check it out by changing the date back to whenever the firmware was released I think.

rewrewrew123

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
This works for Ds Games...
My flashcard won't show up normally and with this slot1 launcher the 3ds gives me an error. (Press power button bla bla bla)
Flashcard: R4i-SDHC v1.4.2
I have already updated the flashcard firmware but it doesn't work.
So, I tried to put into 3ds without anything in the SD and the 3ds doesn't show it.

This flashcard, worked on a Dsi FW 1.4.3 but when I insert into my 3ds it says that in the slot there's nothing.
In the upper screen it recognizes that something is in the slot (because the icons spin) but it doesn't "know" what is.
Any idea?

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I certainly stupid but it won't work on my n3ds.

I've recently switch from gateway to rxtool (in that way, I'll put the bluecard in my console and stick with it, no need to switch between sysnand et emunand everytime I want to play DS games).
I've installed FBI, then the twl patch for n3ds with destination NAND and replaced the old one (orginal I suppose).
My bluecard does'nt work, after installation of TWL-slot1-launcher neither.
Direct launch and slot1-launcher give me a black screen, and I need to hard shutdown :/

What I've do the wrong way ? How to make it work ?

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed FBI, then the twl patch for n3ds with destination NAND and replaced the old one (orginal I suppose).
My bluecard does'nt work, after installation of TWL-slot1-launcher neither.
Direct launch and slot1-launcher give me a black screen, and I need to hard shutdown :/
Did you install it on emuNAND or sysNAND? Or both?

rewrewrew123

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
You need to write in the first post: DON'T INSTALL THIS IN SYSNAND OR IT WILL BRICK DS-MODE

Me both...I no needed to install in sys but...I am wrong!

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's okay, there's no permanent damage. The reason that DS mode no longer works in sysNAND is because the modified TWL_FIRM it tries to use when you play a DS game is not signed, so it will only work if you are running some kind of CFW. What you need to do is reinstall the original N3DS TWL_FIRM on sysNAND. You can download it using 3DNUS - use the title 0004013820000102 and version 9936 (I hope I am allowed to say that). Make sure to install it with BigBlueMenu or DevMenu, because FBI does not work.

YharnamBadass

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
It's okay, there's no permanent damage. The reason that DS mode no longer works in sysNAND is because the modified TWL_FIRM it tries to use when you play a DS game is not signed, so it will only work if you are running some kind of CFW. What you need to do is reinstall the original N3DS TWL_FIRM on sysNAND. You can download it using 3DNUS - use the title 0004013820000102 and version 9936 (I hope I am allowed to say that). Make sure to install it with BigBlueMenu or DevMenu, because FBI does not work.

I had installed patched twl firm to sysnand on my new 3ds xl I had no problem since I never use sysnand without mini pasta. But I just said aw why not and fixed it using the title you posted. Now it´s perfectly fixed.
However I cannot express enough that you HAVE to install this title using bigbluemenu, fbi is iffy installing official twl firm.

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can play my bluecard on sysnand as usual (I've installed the bluecardfix.cia way before this come), but play it on emunand would be better :F
Maybe you should try using ReiNAND instead of rxTools, since you have a New 3DS. That is all I can suggest because I am using ReiNAND with N3DS and this tool works great.

YharnamBadass

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Maybe you should try using ReiNAND instead of rxTools, since you have a New 3DS. That is all I can suggest because I am using ReiNAND with N3DS and this tool works great.

I can confirm that patching the emunand´s twl firm on Reinand works perfectly. I see no reason why anyone would not use Reinand if they have a New 3ds, you only download a couple of extra tools, hit it with some NTR integration for Region Free and overclock plugins and you pretty much own anything rx tools can do (On n3ds atleast).

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
For anybody who's getting blackscreens when booting up blocked DS carts, I have the same problem too and the only way to boot up flashcards is to boot your games in your favourite cfw first. Booting any DS cartridges when not in any cfw gives me nothing but a blackscreen too.

JacksonS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anybody who's getting blackscreens when booting up blocked DS carts, I have the same problem too and the only way to boot up flashcards is to boot your games in your favourite cfw first.
If I understand correctly, you installed the patched TWL_FIRM on sysNAND? You don't need to do that, and if you reinstall the original TWL_FIRM for your console on sysNAND, it will work again.

cavolo

Trophies
XP
Country
France

I can confirm that patching the emunand´s twl firm on Reinand works perfectly. I see no reason why anyone would not use Reinand if they have a New 3ds, you only download a couple of extra tools, hit it with some NTR integration for Region Free and overclock plugins and you pretty much own anything rx tools can do (On n3ds atleast).

Well, I'll install Rei and tell you if everything is ok :P

ninja edit: I've installed rxtool just for stop use my gateway (and gateway nand isn't compatible with this anw)

e2: well, with Rei it work directly without having to use the TWL slot1 launcher, thanks guy :)
I'll setup NTR to see what it brings then everything will be good (until I'll do something stupid with the new OPT thing haha)

Last edited by cavolo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.