[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. deno80

deno80 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2017
    Serbia, Republic of
    I successfully dumped NAND with this 2 card readers
    LDNIO-SY596
    Hama 00091092 8 in1 SD / MicroSD Card Reader

2. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

Model of the 3ds would help people.

3. FellDragonGrima

FellDragonGrima Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2017
    United States
    If you, say, contact a hardmod installer, how would you go about it? Do you simply send the 3DS you want hardmod-ed in the mail to them? Or what?

Also, say you're not good at installing CFW and all that. Can the person hardmodding the 3DS (that belongs to you) do that for you too?

As you can tell, I'm a total noob when it comes to all this.

4. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    I do all this, and yes, you have to send it in.

5. deno80

deno80 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2017
    Serbia, Republic of
    sorry i forgot, OLD 3DS

6. FellDragonGrima

FellDragonGrima Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2017
    United States
    I see. Interesting. About how long does ignore take to do all this? And for what price?

7. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

Message sent.

8. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Best draws right thar

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Land of Magical Elves (and indie programmers)
    Does the Wire & Cable hanging out the back of the 3DS cause anyone any bad inconvenience? Also, how would I be able to Read/Write the NAND a second time, since you didn't say how to bring up the BootRom error a second time.

9. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

Remove wires once it's done reading / writing. No need to power off console between dumping, patching and writing back.

As for your profile questions, it's a mac, throw it away, best advice I have there lol. SOrry, not sorry. I have no idea honestly. As long as you can read / write you should be ok.

10. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Best draws right thar

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Land of Magical Elves (and indie programmers)

Ok. Two questions. Is NTRCFW a CFW (i.e. when I go to Sys-Settings will it say "Emu [NTR Version]") or is it something different so I can still update. And, Can I perhaps send my 3DS in to you to 1. Do a hardmod. 2. Install Luma & HBL Loader & Starter Kit, 3. if NTRCFW is NOT a cfw then install that and 4. remove hardmod from earlier. If you would like to do that to my 3DS, please tell me your email so I can get in touch (I can't do PM's yet so I'd rather not give my email). I'd be willing to pay 30-40 dollars.
    EDIT: I should probably say that I have an o3DS XL.
    EDIT 2: I'll also pay Shipping

Last edited by SirNapkin1334, Sep 3, 2017
  11. kekMate

kekMate Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2017
    Hungary
    I hope this will help beginners trying to hardmod their N2DS XL with the disassembly:

12. marcushg85

marcushg85 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    hello there, i have a n3dsxl that shows blue screen xxxxxx 400 when turned on (have no idea on what happened, they sold it to me like that, aparently someone did something wrong but when i opened it everything looked ok, no bad solders or anything..), does that mean there's a hardware failure or just bricked? now i've soldered test points for sd adapter and when connected to sd reader and pc shows xxxxx 200 which i suppose it means it's getting detected and the hardmod is ok? now i need a compatible sd reader.... i'll have to order an anker one... but it will be a week until i get it.
    By the way, i've seen there are two places to get DAT0 and CMD (test points and where the resistors) but is there a CLK alt point?
    Thanks!!!

13. ApoloDays

ApoloDays Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2017
    Portugal
    Hey everyone. I was wondering, do you have to use that specific model of sd card reader or anything of the brand will do? Also how can a micro sd card reader work on the 2ds method if you use a sd adapter? Could you answer me, please?

14. marcushg85

marcushg85 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    hello i have an anker usb3 ar200 2 slot reader labeled as 68anreader-b2a and looks like it's not working for reading my nand (but my n2dsxl looks reacts as if everything was fine, blue screen with either 400 or 200 error, even got 208 error...)
    how can i know what chipset does the sd card reader have, even if it is fake or something (windows detects it as generic usb3 sd reader)
    thanks

15. 2tailedfox

2tailedfox Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2016
    United States
    Hello,
    I have dumped 4 times.
    New3dsxl. Chip did not say toshiba or samsung on it.
    File size is 1,933,312KB for all 4 dumps.
    The link going to 'nand sizes' is broken and just goes back to 3ds.guide which does not seem to say anywhere what the size should be.
    How can I verify that my dumps are good before I go ahead and build stuff then flash it?
    Sorry if this was said previously, but who has time to read 118 pages?
    Thanks in advance!

16. kekMate

kekMate Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2017
    Hungary
    I tried hardmodding my New 2DS XL today. I probably bricked it permanently.
    imgur com/a/Esl2s
    (dot missing, space instead, 'cuz of antispam protection, kek...)

TLDR:
    What caused the bricking? The burnt CMD solder pad in the 1st picture, or are the 2 loose, slightly bent ribbon cable latches in the 3rd picture? Please, share your knowledge with me, i want to do it again, i hate it when i can't get something done, im determined, but i need the help of you guys to educate myself (and i need a quality soldering iron for sure, too...).

Long version:
    I would love an expert's opinion on the matter. Here is how it went down:

So i opened the case, no problem. Removed the battery, the battery frame, disconnected the ribbon cables, removed the analog stick, removed the screws holding the MB. I flipped the motherboard, removed the C-stick.

I prepared for soldering. I used a cheap-ass iron .

And that's where I screwed up big time. Before attempting to solder my new 2DS, i was practicing on a broken piece of board for a half an hour. I noticed that the tip of the iron started to discolor, and soon blacken. I bought a few new tips, and started turning the device on and off after reaching the melting temperature of the solder, to prevent it from burning out. Even this way, the tip had difficulties accepting solder on its surface.
    Still, i went ahead, and tried soldering the 3 wires to the MB. I pretinned the wires and the solder pads successfully. But by the time i wanted to solder the wires to the pads, my tip got a bit burnt, so it wasnt hot enough to melt the solder on the pad and the wire together. So i tried to keep it there a little longer than usual. Evidentally, it was hot enough to burn the left CMD pad.

So i immediately suspected that no matter what i do from here on out, i probably will en up with a bricked console. Still, i moved on, just for practise, so I will be better at all of this next time.

I replaced the tip and used the other solder pad for CMD, the other two i soldered together the pairs of solder pads. I ended up with something like this, before hot glueing it up to fix them in place and insulate the bare wire parts:

They werent bridged, and they were strong joints, i couldnt lift them up from the board. After all this work, i went for the reassembly. I encountered another problem:
    Two of the ribbon cable connectors i couldnt reconnect properly (picture).

No matter how i pressed down on the latches, they just wouldn't stay in place, there was no clicking sound either. I even noticed when i disconnected them, that these latches didint really turn as all the others, it felt more like bending them upwards. Turns out, i was right. So i tried to tape them down, but they were just slightly better than without the tape, they were still bent upwards, not really securing the ribbon cables 100%.

After i finished the assembly, I turned it on, and i got the error with 400 in it, i guess it's for NAND not found.

After all this, i disassembled it all again, removed all the solder and all the wires, reassembled it all again, just to make sure it was bricked. Still, no luck, i still got the blue error screen with 400 in it.

Last edited by kekMate, Oct 5, 2017
  17. leonardorh

leonardorh Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2017
    United States
    For anyone wondering, the guide for N2DSXL works. I used the Anker usb reader suggested. Just make sure the wiring is correct, I spent an hour wondering why it wouldn't read and it was because I has messed up the wiring. Make sure you look at a diagram of how micro sd card adapters are wired. Also, some of the smaller ribbon cables are attached to little connectors that don't use latches so look at the warnings in the 3ds guide and don't try to lift the latches for those connectors.

kekMate likes this.
  18. marcushg85

marcushg85 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2017
    i will try again to rewire the SD cutting the wires shorter just to be sure, leonardorh which anker reader you have? i ordered the one there but mine is marked as 68anreader which i someone said it has a different chipset... but is there a way to know which chipset has my anker reader? (without opening it)
    thanks