[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. spanner

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    Hi I tried to do this but used wire that was to big,jumper wire and it pulled the pads of the motherboard on my 2DS,the pads were CMD and DAT0 is there any other place I can solder them 2 wires..?

2. Boz

Boz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    RIP 2DS.

3. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    First hard mod on a 2ds went well, kinda panicked though after the flash of a patched dump it black screened and off after copying all the needed file to the sd card, spent a good hour trying to figure out what went wrong, ended up copying the contents off the SD card and formatting then copying it back over and it booted to luma config straight away.

I used the anker 4 port usb 3 reader, buy from amazon so you can return it too :P

4. spanner

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    No the 2DS still is working ok just the pads come off,should of put sticky tape on the wires first but they were to big anyway,are CMD and DAT0 anywhere else on the motherboard of the 2DS,not XL..?

5. mitroux

mitroux GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2007
    Macau
    there are other points for data0 and cmd
    but since you pulled off the big pads , how can you solder to vias that are like 1/5 the size of a normal solder point?

wiiando likes this.
  6. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Yep, if you've damaged it already with those easy to solder points you should step away and get someone who is capable to do it

7. spanner

spanner Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2008
    Its not me its the solder I am using,its dose something to the glue on the pad on the MB,I soldered it and then 2 to 3 mins later the wire fell off with the pad. it did it to 2 pads after that I stopped soldering on it. crap solder from a car boot sale (they are like markets in car parks)that I have had a long time,whats the right solder I should use on this board..? on eBayuk please if you can,thanks.

8. vb_encryption_vb

vb_encryption_vb That hardmod guy....

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

It's not the solder, it's you. Too much heat...simple as that.

Boz likes this.
  9. Boz

Boz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    That's right. You only need to apply heat for a few seconds. You're applying too much heat to the pads.

10. OneSharpAce

OneSharpAce Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2017
    United States
    I will be doing my hard mod this coming week. I would like to include all the data pins if that increases the read write speed. I am assuming the pins along data 0 are the remaining data lines because they to have continuity through to the back side of the board. Can anyone confirm this? If not I would be happy to take a risk. I can replace the n2DSxl if I fry the NAND.

11. Boz

Boz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    The gain in read/write speed is not worth the extra hassle and risk. More dat lines = more possible failure points. Also it really doesn't take that long to read/write with only dat0. Should be 10-20 minutes.

12. OneSharpAce

OneSharpAce Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2017
    United States
    I was really just interested in all the data lines for completeness. I can live with it only having one wire though. I have done a hardmod on o3ds using a microsd adapter I was able to make enough room in the case to leave it in and have just a mini usb port visible from the outside. I would really like that solution again. However I don't know if anyone has found microsd to usb adapters that work with the N2dsxl. I'll leave this here hopefully someone can point me to one before I just do it using the anker that I have.

13. annson24

annson24 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2016
    Just tried to revive my n3ds with damaged clk using ntrboot. Bluescreen doesn't show up anymore but it stays at back screen. Too bad.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA

Because CLK is missing, NTRBOOT cannot fix a hardware fault...

annson24 likes this.
  15. WARlord1903

WARlord1903 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2017
    United States
    @vb_encryption_vb Hey, I'm really sorry, I'm new to GBAtemp, but I was wondering if you could hardmod my N3DSXL for me. PM me the details if so.

vb_encryption_vb likes this.
  16. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Responded, email, pm and reddit, lol

17. hopkins

hopkins Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2015
    Netherlands
    Hello there!

Maybe someone could point me to what's wrong with my attempt of hardmodding my hardbricked new 3ds xl.
    Got anker reader, soldered all points and used an alt clk pad.

Im getting a one second blue screen on the lower 3ds screen and then it all just shuts off.

Any ideas? Anyone had issue like this?

18. vb_encryption_vb

Nov 21, 2015
    United States
    Acworth, GA
    Check your soldering

19. var5592

var5592 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2017
    United States
    edit: oops

Last edited by var5592, Aug 23, 2017
  20. Dominohax

Dominohax Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2017
    Netherlands
    Hi to all!

Will this reader also work? It is the follow up of the TS-RDP8K.

Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards (TS-RDF8K)

Thanxs for your reaction.