[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hello Toaster, thanks for the awesome tutorial. Just wondering if you had an answer to my query.
    I also hard bricked my n3ds xl trying to install arm9 and have the two black screens with the power light on. I luckily have a copy of my nand which I made during the process of downgrading and I was wondering if I can use this hardmod method described in this thread to copy my nand backup back onto the nand? Please let me know cuz I actually bricked two of them. Really don't want to waste the $500 or so dollars i spent on the two consoles and all the games and such. Thanks so much for your help.
    And yeah I've also tried all the soft brick and recovery mode options. Didn't actually get to the point of installing arm9. Downgraded to 2.1 but forgot to connect to the internet beforehand and when it came time to access that web address it got all screwed up

2. TheToaster
    OP

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    How did you brick two consoles?

And yes you can do a hardmod if you already have a NAND dump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

3. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Thanks for your speedy reply. Just one last question, when I made the nand backup there where all kinds of files that got dumped, about 9 files. do i need to transfer all of them back or just the one called NANDmin.bin? Also, do i just drag and drop them to the drive that's basically representing my frankensd/nand using windows explorer? Thanks so much for your help. I reeeeeaaallllyyy appreciate it. And yeah i am a special idiot for bricking two. tried downgrading mine and my brothers at the same time and made the same mistake for both. never doing that again.

4. TheToaster
    OP

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    I'm not really sure how you got 9 files (you should have only got two), but yes, you need to use the NANDmin.bin file

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

5. Maestrx

Maestrx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Canada
    So my dad has soddering experience. I am wondering how risky on a scale from 1-10 it is for someone who hasn't ever hardmodded, but soddered before.

6. Alternis

Alternis Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    Swaziland
    If you have experience soldering and you know how to read and follow instructions, you should be fine.

7. Maestrx

Maestrx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Canada
    Whew okay. Will this all apply to temporary hardmods? Is there a way to only do this once and get the sodder off after?

8. Galgum

Galgum Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2016
    United States
    Is there anywhere I can download the 3DS NAND Checker? The link in the thread seems to be dead. I click it and it just gives me this, "that id doesn't exist in the database!". I'd like to check my NAND dumps before going to next step. I googled it for like an hour and feel like an idiot unable to find it.

9. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hello @TheToaster , so i did the soldering and created my frankensd card finally got my tekrepublic sd card reader today and i connected it all up and fired up my n3ds xl and got the blue bootrom error screen which was a huge relief. then i plugged it into my laptop and for some reason it shows two new removable disk drives but with nothing in them and when i try to click on either of them it says "please insert disk into disk drive". what do i do now? thought i would just have to drag and drop my NANDmin.bin file onto the drive but it doesn't seem to recognize it. also installed win32 diskimager and opened as administrator but it doesn't detect anything either but if i understand that correctly that program is just for copying my nand from my 3ds not to it. any idea what i need to do? thanks again for your help. i feel so close to the end result.

Update: I plugged it into a colleagues desktop at work and it at least now asks if I want to format the drive now. Tried dragging and dropping the nandmin.bin file onto the drive and it says I cannot proceed without formatting the drive. is this where i use win32diskimager? can i not just drag and drop?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Hey there, I'm currently trying to do a temporary hardmod in order to resurrect a bricked n3ds xl. as soon as i've managed to transfer my nand back onto my 3ds i'll let you know how difficult it is to remove the solder. so far the difficult part wasnt soldering to the 3ds, it was making that damn fankensd card. soldering to those tiny pins without touching the others was a bitch.

Last edited by SoopaSee, Mar 15, 2017
  10. Maestrx

Maestrx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Canada
    ok
    Okay thanks so much! Also, good to know. Noted.

11. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hey I also found out that maybe an easier way to make a frankensdcard is to buy something called an sd sniffer. just google that. it's a bit expensive to ship all the way to korea but it only costs 10 dollars and maybe to canada its not so bad. its got way bigger and easier points to solder to than messing with adapting a micro sd card adapter. not 100% sure if this works actually but saw it as a suggested option on another thread about hardmodding a 3ds. try it if you have trouble with adapting a card adapter.

12. mchew

mchew Advanced Lurker

Jul 23, 2004
    United States
    https://mega.nz/#!axMhCIoL!VKtsrEdCiQjC6BE9xIv_0lmqhvxWa30gcmdYl2Alc1g

13. Galgum

Galgum Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by Galgum, Mar 15, 2017
  14. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hey there, just to let you know I've managed to transfer my nandmin.bin backup back onto my nand. turns out i just had to try plugging the card reader into a desktop rather than my laptop and it was finally recognized. i then had to use win32diskimager to write the nandmin.bin file back to the nand as you cant just drag and drop the file onto the drive. every time you do that or click on the drive that is your nand it tells you that you cannot use the drive unless you format it so do you want to format it. no, you don't. in win32diskimager you can choose the drive and choose to write to it and select the nandmin.bin file that you want to write to it, which i had on a usb stick. took 6 minutes or so to transfer. so fucking stoked that my 3ds works again. going to go home in a few hours and remove the wires i soldered inside the 3ds and solder them to my other 3ds. i'll let you know how the removal of the solder went but to be honest, i used very very little to begin with. saw a video of a french guy modding a 3ds on youtube and used his technique which is to apply a very tiny dab of solder to the point you want to solder to first. a tiny droplet. and then just put the wire over the preapplied solder and heat it with the soldering iron till the solder melts again and walla.

15. Maestrx

Maestrx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Canada
    Awesome! Thanks so much! Keep me updated!

16. SoopaSee

SoopaSee Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2017
    Hey, so I remover the wires and there was to little solder on the circuit board points for cmd dat0 and clk that I didn't need to really remove any of the solder. Just melted it so the wires would come loose. The only large amount of solder was on the gnd connection which I did on the game cartridge housing and I used a thing called a solder sucker which got rid of most of it. Put it back together and works perfectly. Now to try downgrading it again. Hope I don't fuck it up a second time. Let me know if you have any questions.

17. Maestrx

Maestrx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2017
    Canada

Awesome sounds good!

18. Come2Fabi

Come2Fabi Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I have brick my new 3ds xl motherboard(EU) can i use an US motherboard and install the europe firmware?
    *Have delete my Nand Backup xD ...

*and sry for my bad english

Last edited by Come2Fabi, May 11, 2017
  19. jouyduro

jouyduro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    Brazil
    nope, if u take another motherboard, then it's going to be a new nand, if it's us motherboard, then it's going to have us firmware etc

20. Come2Fabi

Come2Fabi Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2017
    Gambia, The
    ok thanks :)