[TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by TheToaster, Feb 10, 2016.

1. littleko52

Newcomer littleko52 Newbie

United States
    A question about the wiring part. Instead of putting the wires into a micro sd reader then a usb converter, could you just wire the 3ds into a usb directly?

2. Robbie1

Newcomer Robbie1 Newbie

Ireland
    Hi I'm some what new to this could someone please tell me how do I flash the 3ds nand to 9.2 do I use win32diskimager to right the nand

3. comp1demon

Newcomer comp1demon Advanced Member

United States
    At my wits end with this hardmod dumping.

I have the proper USB adapter (I think)
    I soldered the wires correctly. (this is a fact but I posted the diagram I am following
    THe SDcard dongle is correct (I think)

I get the blue screen, but WINdiskimgr32 will not let me read the nand.
    I get 2 drives that show up when i plug the ANKER into the PC, but they are both empty.
    No message to format the Drive.

Using 30AWG kynar Wire
    Color coded to make sure there are no mistakes.
    Been soldering for 20 years, so my 4 solder points are correct, not burned, solid and no bridges On the 3ds MOBO and the SDCARD

Help would be grateful.

Attached Files:

Last edited by comp1demon, Jan 10, 2017
  4. invaderyoyo

Member invaderyoyo invader

United States
    Which sd reader are you using? I recommend the Anker one. I've done many hardmods on different 3ds's and it's never given me a problem.

Edit:
    Oops, sorry I didn't look at the box. It's not the reader. I know the Anker one works for New 3ds's. You could try alternate clk and gnd points. Can you post some pics of your soldering?

Last edited by invaderyoyo, Jan 10, 2017
  5. comp1demon

United States
    I am already using the ALt CLK point as it is super easy to solder to, no way to make a mistake on it.
    As for alternative Ground. I am open to suggestions.
    Posting SOldering pics would be hard as the whole thing is back together, But I can assure you the points are rock solid and correct, i've been soldering a long time, all those points are super easy to cleanly hit.

EDIT... OK so I looked at the paper I was using and sure enough not only is there an ALT CLK there is a ALT GND listed. After your suggestion of a ALT GND, I went and searched and it was in front of me the whole time. Changed GNDs and alleluia!! I am reading the Nand.

Now GOtta figure out what to do next to get it to 9.2.. Been stuck at this read thing since 12/23/16.. Figured it would take a post to get it. THANKS!

OH and since I had to solder a new GND, I took some pics of my work. See how clean it is :)

QUESTION: If I solder the other points too, how much faster is the nand read and write?

EDIT AGAIN: Read it once - I think... I tried to do a second read. Will not register anymore. Tried pulling battery and trying the proper sequence and nothing.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: FInally got a successful Read. DOing Second Dump now.
    Once I have 2 or 3 dumps of Nand I will attempt to get the 10.X Native Firm on there so I can do a Downgrade.

I assume once I patch the nand and flash it back, even though it says 11.0 still it is on 10.(I forget) and I can use soundhax to lauch HBL and then lauch Sysdowngrade and use that?

LAST EDIT: I am a Haardmod Guru now. DID 3 motherboards. all are on 9.2U now.
    SO EASY...

SOLDER 4 wires.
    Plug into PC.
    Read Nand (2 times to be safe).
    Run batchfile.
    Write Patched Nand.
    Use Soundhax at 11.0.0.33 or 11.1.0.34 (hav enot done a 11.2 system yet)
    Make sure 3DSident says 2.50.11 for both.
    Exit 3Dsident
    Load safesysdowngrade
    DOwngrade as usual by pressing Y.

SYSTEMS are on 9.2U!!!

Thanks for the help guys.

Attached Files:

Last edited by comp1demon, Jan 10, 2017
  6. invaderyoyo

Member invaderyoyo invader

United States
    The process has changed. There is no reason to downgrade to 9.2 anymore. I thought you might've been bricked and that's why you were doing a hardmod.

You can go straight from 11.2 to 2.1 now.

Recheck the guide: https://3ds.guide

Edit:

Hmm, since your 3ds's are hardmodded just use the otpless method to save time. You can install a9lh right from 9.2. There is a small chance of bricking, but just restore the nand through the hardmod if you brick.

I don't know what the brick rate for otpless is, but I've never bricked and have done like 5 or more with that method.

Last edited by invaderyoyo, Jan 10, 2017
  7. comp1demon

United States

I will try that.

I would assume that I need to dump the 9.2U nand first incase I brick. Or I would have the flash back the 11.0 patched 10.4 nand and downgrade again correct?

I will try it later today!

Thanks!

8. mchew

Member mchew Advanced Lurker

United States
    You don't have to patch anything. Just make a backup of your 9.2 just in case and then follow the guide from there.

9. udelgadochio

Newcomer udelgadochio Member

Mexico
    Hi! I need some help, I'm trying to write a NAND backup with hardmod to an OLD 3DS, the thing is I popped the DAT0 point accidentally by pulling the cable, it is no longer gold, So I decided to try with the DAT1, the CMD, alt CLK and GND in the microSD blob. I'm using the Anker reader.

So far I can't make my PC to recognize the device, it does turn on in a blue screen but the code displayed changes from time to time... will this motherboard still work without the DAT0? In such case... Is there any DAT0 alternative point to solder to? Here are some photos of my soldering work and the messages.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by udelgadochio, Jan 13, 2017
  10. noX1609

Member noX1609 A9LH freak ;)

Germany
    I have a question: Which Microsd to SD Adapter is the best for this / easiest to open?
    Because i have 2 from Sandisk and tried everything but they doesn't go apart.

So can someone who has done the hack please tell me which Adapter is the easiest to open?

11. TheToaster
    OP

Member TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

United States
    DAT1 cannot be used in place of DAT0. DAT0 is required:

Either you solder DAT0, GND, CLK, and CMD and attach with 4 wires to the franken-SD...

Or you solder DAT0, DAT1, DAT2, DAT3, GND, CLK, and CMD and attach with 7 wires to the franken-SD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheToaster, Jan 13, 2017
  12. TheToaster
    OP

United States
    I use SanDisk. Opening it is easy, just get your fingernail underneath it and pry it open

13. brewder

Newcomer brewder Member

Argentina
    Are there alternative Dat0 and CMD points in an OLD XL?

I burned those two points And I want to know if my console serves

14. noX1609

Member noX1609 A9LH freak ;)

Germany
    hmm Strange. The ones i have there is no gap visible on the side where they are pressed together. They was bundled with the Sandisk Extreme Cards. Maybe that are other then they you have. Also the Date for n the back says 2016 maybe they changed how it is produced.

So if everyone know another brand that is easily to open please tell me and put an amazon.de or ebay.de link with it that would be great :)

15. TheToaster
    OP

United States
    brewder likes this.
  16. Aeronic

Newcomer Aeronic Member

Canada
    I ordered the suggested Sandisk microsd reader and after opening it up i noticed it has 9 pins on the bottom and 8 pins near the top.

[​IMG]

Am I supposed to wire to the 9 pin side or the 8 pin side on this reader?

17. TheToaster
    OP

United States
    You would solder to the sides where the microSD pads would touch if you were to insert a microSD into the reader. It's the same basic principle if you were using the FrankenSD method instead of the FrankenUSB method:

[​IMG]

Last edited by TheToaster, Jan 14, 2017
    Aeronic likes this.
  18. Aeronic

Newcomer Aeronic Member

Canada
    When i put a microSD card into the reader it looks like pad 4 is touching 2 pins at once. just wiring to either would be ok?

19. TheToaster
    OP

United States
    You need to use the diagram that I linked in my previous comment.

20. Aeronic

Newcomer Aeronic Member

Canada
    haha whoops, somehow my brain shut down and I didn't realize the obvious. Thanks for the info!