[TUTORIAL] "Manual System Transfer" for Saves/Content

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Ichii Giki, May 3, 2015.

1. Ichii Giki
    OP

Ichii Giki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    You should be able to just use the saves you care about if you don't want to copy over all your old data.

You can't just move the ticket.db of one system to another, as the tickets stored in the file are encoded with the unique identifier of the source console. There is not, as of yet, a proper method for us to write our own complete entries as Nintendo does to the ticket.db file.

It is odd that the friend code changed. Some file/piece of information must not have been copied over when you did the process. You may be able to try copying the Friends module save from the source system to the target system again and see if the friend code properly shows up.

I am not sure if it is possible to do this transfer method between regions. Did you have all appropriate Mii Plaza updates/DLC installed to match your saves? The saves would show as corrupt/inaccessible if you didn't have the matching Mii Plaza updates/DLC installed as well (I had this same issue during my testing, but my saves worked after installing the corresponding updates/DLC).

The guide isn't out of date and vague so much as it is written in a very general manner to outline the basic Manual Transfer process so people can apply the overall concept to many different possible tools/methods, past, present and future. In this way, the overall spirit/message of the guide stays up to date, allowing people to apply the process to new systems/versions/tools as the state of the 3DS homebrew scene progresses.

Also, the method for generating Xorpads really hasn't changed significantly between system versions, so the newest version of Decrypt9WIP (https://github.com/d0k3/Decrypt9WIP/releases) should be adequate. Is your target system on 10.6 SysNAND? If it is on 10.6 SysNAND, you would need to downgrade the system to 9.2 SysNAND and then create and update an EmuNAND to 10.6 (or now newest 10.7) to follow this Manual Transfer process.

2. TheGlow

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    The gift that keeps on giving. It looks like this also caused a glitched with her Mii. She cant edit it, gets an error that it's locked. Cant remove it because it says you cannot delete your personal Mii.
    I told her I may need to just go ahead and nuke it all and start over.

3. Nirmonculus

Nirmonculus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2014
    This is quite daunting, but I'll give it a go when my Jpn n3ds comes in.
    XD

4. Zedjones

Zedjones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    By non-legit files, what exactly do you mean?

5. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    If you installed .cias of games you don't own.

Zedjones likes this.
  6. Zedjones

Zedjones Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Thanks. And to clear one more thing up, you said you replaced the sysdata and extdata folders in their entirety. Did you also replace ID0 on NAND://data/ or did you leave it as it was?

Edit: I think I get what you did now. The ID0 should be the same after reinitializing the system with the new moveable.sed, correct?

Last edited by Zedjones, Mar 31, 2016
  7. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    correct. Just follow the tutorial and even the exact contents of the SD card can be copied over as well.

Zedjones likes this.
  8. Cinnamon

Cinnamon GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2014
    Norway
    Thanks to this guide, I managed to salvage the saves and tickets from a previously bricked NAND.bin and move them to my current one.
    I only used the movable.sed since I didn't care about the system titles.

9. froggestspirit

froggestspirit D/P/Pt Demix Guy

Jul 28, 2011
    United States
    I did most of this just by using GodMode9, (and a hex editor for movable.sed). It seems to be working fine. I want to make all of my consoles read and work from the same SD card (minus my new3ds).
    Edit: If you do it this way, don't touch ticket.db. Not sure if it properly decrypts it

Last edited by froggestspirit, Jun 4, 2016
    Arubaro likes this.
  10. placebooooo

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    I keep getting an error when I try to open the decrypted disk with winimage; it just won't open. Sorry, I'm finding it very difficult to follow this guide but I am trying my best. I'm trying to transfer my cia saves from my old 3ds to my new 3dsxl

11. Ichii Giki
    OP

Ichii Giki GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    United States
    What specific error are you getting when trying to open the decrypted disk image with WinImage? It's possible the image wasn't actually decrypted properly in some previous step.

If you're just trying to move game saves and don't care about system title saves like Friends, MiiPlaza, etc., an easier solution for you would probably be to use a more recent homebrew application like JK Save Manger. It is a fantastic save manager that is great for exporting saves in a portable format that could then be easily copied and imported on another system. Give it a shot! ^_^

12. placebooooo

placebooooo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2013
    United States
    Philadelphia
    I managed to mount the ctrnand.bin using osfmount program (and extracted the ticket and movable sed etc). I would have used JK save manager, but I don't have my old 3ds xl anymore (sold it on craigslist). All I have is the nand.bin, xorpad, and sd card of my old 3ds xl. I have been struggling to follow this guide as I have no idea what I am doing. I don't even think I xor'd my stuff properly etc. Currently, I am having troubles hex editing the movable.sed for my old 3ds xl; I don't see the 00 00 00 00 numbers as in your example. I'm trying to follow this as best as I can; Other members here have also helped but no luck, I just have no idea what I'm doing :/

Last edited by placebooooo, Jul 11, 2016
  13. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    What are the last 0x20 bytes? (Am new to hex editing)

14. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Nvm, just figured out its the last 32 bytes

15. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Anybody know a good guide for generating xorpads with decrypt9 for this?

16. Mr Skinner

Mr Skinner Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    Brazil
    Bananna Land.
    My girlfriend has a Nintendo 3ds in 9.5.0. she would like to use Luma 3ds + A9LH in 3ds, but is afraid of losing all StreetPass data she conquered the over all these years. It would be possible to extract the desired saves and insert them already with the Luma 3ds working?

17. Mr Skinner

Mr Skinner Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2010
    Brazil
    Bananna Land.
    Responding here for future reference, I managed to keep all street pass data mii plaza and saves, making a hardmod on Nintendo 3ds of my girlfriend, who was in version 9.5.0.

That is, if you do not want to lose files and have an alternative method, you have to backup the nand. Then just follow Plailetc's tutorial to install A9LH in github and "Part 3 (arm9loaderhax) In the" Section IV - Restoring the System ":

Open Hourglass9 from arm9loaderhax by holding Start on boot
    Go to "SysNAND Backup / Restore ..."
    Select "Restore SysNAND (keep a9lh)"
    Confirm and restore from NANDmin.bin
    (This archive NANDmin.bin will be the image obtained in hardmod, renamed. In my case, version 9.5.0 made before the downgrade, during Harmod process)

Note: Do not worry about the absence of .sha file. Hourglass9 will flash even without the file, ignoring in the process. Just make sure, during the process of obtaining the NAND via hardmod you have a valid NAND using the 3DS NAND Checker.

Last edited by Mr Skinner, Sep 18, 2016
  18. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    OK so it it possible to salvage my saves without reinstalling cia's?

19. Hyoretsu

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    What's the procedure if I just want to move over my Mii Plaza save and Streetpass+Spotpass data?

20. Sketchy1

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    The same thing only you take street and spotpass files. BTW if your nand was dumped via decrypt9 you can Mount it directly and skip the xorpad junk