[Tutorial] Making Passive Money Online

Hey guys! Wolvenreign here.​

So I've been gone for quite some time, and it's mostly because of how much studying I've been doing on the intriguing and lucrative world of internet marketing. To be honest, you guys are a huge chunk of the reason I was even turned on to the idea that you can make money online. So much of the Temp's culture and achievements, I feel, have been based on the idea that you can accomplish anything with collaboration and research. It was you guys who inspired me to stop thinking in terms of “can't”, and I have to thank you for that.​

And thank you I shall! For today, I bring you a thread I've been thinking about writing from the moment I first discovered it was possible to make money online. Consider this my gift to all you wonderful Tempers for all of your eye-opening hard work.

With that out of the way, let's get started. I'm going to break down my explanation into two basic categories; general theory and specific applications.

In the general theory section, we'll talk about how money is (usually) made online. (Hint: Advertising is king.) We'll also talk about the different delivery methods possible. CPA, PCP, Google AdSense, etc.

In the specific applications section, we'll talk about specific ways you can make money with the general formula laid out in the previous section. These are methods which have made me money in the past, and will hopefully help you make some money in the future. Remember, though, it's important to come up with your own twists in the formula to stay one step ahead of the competition. It's a cutthroat game out there, folks, but I know your creativity and competence will enable you to get the job done.

With that being said, let's get started.

1) General Application

Alright, people, so I'm sure many of you have, at some point, wondered to yourself about how money is made online. While there are many ways to do it (selling things online via auctions such as E-bay or online retailers such as Amazon), by far the most common is advertisement, and for good reason. Much like any other business, advertisement relies on traffic, but the difference lies in the way that it pays out. Unlike many other sorts of businesses, where the money is made during the point of sale, advertisement will often pay merely for impressions or the contact information of the people you are advertising to.

So let's look into a few different things that these networks are willing to pay out for.

First is one of the most broad ways in which money is made in advertisement, known as CPA, or Cost Per Action. This is the sort of thing you generally see floating around on ads asking users to complete such and such info fields (E-Mail address, name, maybe something more) for a chance to win a free thingamajig. Basically, they're just trying to get leads for whatever business is advertising for them. There are a few other types of CPA, however, such as free trial signups involving credit cards or depositing money into a trading account. Both of these typically involve a higher pay per action (typically 2 digits and 3 digits, respectively).

An important thing to remember about CPA; each network has an affiliate manager. It is very important that you keep tabs with him and tell him what you are doing. Why? He ultimately has the say as to whether or not you get paid. And if you're using a traffic method that isn't approved, you could end up losing all of it.

Here's where you can come in; CPA networks pay affiliates (that would be you) to get the word out and collect information on prospective buyers so they can advertise to them. (Consensually, of course.) Here's sort of the general formula for making money with CPA...

Where M is money made, T is traffic, C is the conversion rate, and p is the offer payout...

M=(T*C)p

While most of this is self-explanatory, allow me to briefly explain what the conversion rate is. It's basically a rough estimate of what percentage of your customers respond to the offer you send them. A more attractive offer tends to have a higher conversion rate, but this usually comes in the form of fewer data fields to fill out, which usually nets you less money. Just be sure to browse through the offers on whatever network you run with and see if you can find an offer that's a good middle ground between high payout and high conversion rate.

So let's go through a quick example using this formula...

Let's say that Bob is going to run an offer to his list of customers. The offer in question has a conversion rate of roughly 35%, his list is about 1000 people large, and the payout is about $2.60. So the formula looks like this...

M = (1000*.35)*2.60
M = 350*2.60
M = $910

So in this case, Bob made $910 running an offer with a conversion rate of 35% and a $2.60 payout. (Keep in mind, conversion rates can vary, and the conversion rate (C), sometimes also known as “gravity”, shown on most networks is just an aggregate of previous performance. There's no guarantee it'll be the same for you. This was just an example. TL;DR results not typical.)

So you might be asking yourself, “Where do I find CPA networks, particularly ones that are allowing newbies on board?” Well, the answer is both easy and difficult. There are a lot of major and well-known (at least among internet marketer) networks like MaxBounty, RevenueAds, PeerFly, and Neverblue, but they aren't really all too easy for newbies to get into. Prior to writing this, I was looking for some networks that were hiring newbies, and I happened to stumble onto one that had a good variety of types of offers to experiment with which also happened to be accepting newbies. That site is Profit250.com. (Disclaimer: I do not own MaxBounty, RevenueAds, Peerfly, Neverblue, or Profit250.com. No referral links will be provided, as to retain my impartialty.) I'll see if I can find more down the line.

As for where you can get the all-important traffic? We'll discuss that in part two, as well as what genres (also known as “verticals”) of ads tend to be the most effective. (Dating, financial, etc.)

Next, we'll talk about CPC, or Cost Per Call. This is kind of a new one in the world of internet marketing, but because of that, it's thriving quite well. The basic idea is the same as CPA, but this time, advertisers are paying for calls rather than E-mail or other forms of customer data. There aren't too many networks out there who do this sort of thing of well, but I've come across one I've enjoyed using. HyperTarget Marketing has plenty of useful tools, even local area codes and the like. (Again, I don't own HyperTarget Marketing.) Still, they'll have you pass the same sort of interview as MaxBounty or PeerFly would ask of you. Not much I can do about that, I'm afraid. However, pending moderator approval, I may be able to provide the numbers, though I'm not sure whether I'll do it here in the thread or in PM. We could work out a deal of some sort, but I wouldn't want to do this if it would make my motives more questionable. I'm genuinely here to help.

That more or less wraps up the general application stuff. I'll update this section if I think of anything else.
2) Specific Application
Now on to details. How does one make money with these methods? For now, let's focus on the CPA side of things. I'll break this down into two parts; part one is building an E-mail list. Part two is marketing TO said E-mail list.​
1) Building A List​
The first step to any successful and sustained internet marketing campaign is building an E-mail list. There are quite a few ways to do so, but for this example we'll stick with PPC. Pay Per Click is an effective way to build niche-focused E-mail lists, since you can market to people who are searching for specific keywords. Let's say you wanted to build up a dating niche; bidding on keywords like "local hookups" or "local romance" will get your message across to those searchers.​
For this method, you will need...​
1) A domain name of your choice. I recommend internetbs.net, they have good prices and free private whois.​
2) Website Hosting. There are a large myriad of providers, but I've been most happy with Hostgator. Hostwinds is decent, too. You'll need to use this to host your website.​
3) An E-mail marketing account. I recommend GetResponse, but there is also Campayn. Don't use MailChimp, though; they don't allow internet marketing.​
4) A PPC account, typically with Google AdWords or Bing Ads. Facebook works too.​
5) An attractive landing page. If you don't know how to code/design a website, hire someone else to.​
What you'll want to do is use a landing page that leads your potential customer to an autoresponder. An autoresponder is basically the little form that asks you for your username and E-mail. This is where your GetResponse account or whatever you want to use will come in handy. You'll need to set up an autoresponder on their site and plug it into your landing page.​
This method will work with just about any niche, but let's roll with the dating example for now. You'll want to bid on keywords with a high search and clickthrough volume. Trending topics related to the niche you're pursuing, like, say, a celebrity romance, can be quite effective as keywords. What you'll want to do is make a PPC ad. These are typically very short, shorter than tweets. Because of this, every word counts. You have to make it have a certain punch. Let's say we were marketing to the keyword "kim kardashian justin bieber hookup". A good PPC ad might look something like this...​
Title: Hot Celebrity Hookups​
Body: Don't miss a beat! Bieber and Kardashian EXPOSED!​
Or this....​
Title: Bieber and Kardashian?​
Body: Subscribe now for all the latest celebrity hookups!​
The important thing to remember here is A/B testing. You'll want to come up with an array of PPC ads and then test them to see which one gets more clickthroughs and subscriptions. Most PPC engines have options for this sort of thing.​
2) Marketing to your list.​
So, now you've got a list of people targeted around a given niche. Going on with the dating example, you might think the most logical thing to do is to blast out dating-related offers to your list, and that's conventional wisdom. It certainly works.​
However, allow me to blow your mind with something I came across. A rather startling revelation, really...​
You see, there is a certain kind of offer that is universal to every niche out there. I call it the Wild Card Vertical. This vertical is...​
Finance.​
Yep, it doesn't matter what your niche is based around, everyone needs money. The important thing, though, is *how* you market these financial offers. Let's roll with the dating example again. What E-mail blast would we use to market to those interested in romance? It would be something like this...​
Dear Personname,​
Wow! I cannot BELIEVE the incredible date I had with my significant other this last week. We went for a luxury cruise to the Bahamas, first class, all expenses paid. The intimate moments we shared as we watched the sunset come down over the ocean while sipping champagne and getting lost in each other's eyes are memories we will hold dearly in our hearts forever. It's a story we'll tell our kids and grandkids for many years to come!​
I know what you're thinking. How could I have possibly afforded it? I barely scrape $40,000 a year with my 9 to 5 minimum wage day job. Well, it's simple. I invested in [insert offer here along with a brief explanation of how it works]. Soon, you could have an equally unforgettable experience with the one closest to you. I'd hurry if I were you, though. There aren't too many chances left to get in on this.​
Best of luck!​
Signed,​
Advertisername​
Just like with your PPC ads, you'll want to A/B test your E-mail blasts to see which are the most effective at converting, Remember the formula; the more people you have and the higher the conversion rate, the more money you make.​
Anyway, the basic idea is that you can turn any niche into a financial niche as long as it's marketed properly. When it comes to a health niche, for example, talk about healthy food and workout machines you could afford using this or that method. I think you get the basic idea, but if not, feel free to ask. If this doesn't work out for you, though, you can try the conventional method of marketing dating offers to your dating list.​
So, that's what I would recommend, particularly for beginners. It's a lot to take in all at once, but once you have the initial idea down, there's all kinds of places you can take it to. Remember to try your own methods, and be patient; this sort of thing can take a lot of time and missteps to get right. I'm sure you guys can handle it, though. ^_~

Good luck, have fun, make money!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is actually the best guide I have EVER seen when it came to making money online. Whomever posted here before and tried to crap on this thread, SHAME. ON. YOU.

I thank you so much for this information, and I wish everyone else who is reading this guide the bestest of luck when it comes to implementing this. I have so much free time on my hands, enough to where I can actually see myself doing this.

Once again, thank you, Wolvenreign ^_^
You shall never be forgotten :bortz: :bortz: :bortz:

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason I didn't understand this tutorial. What are the benefits people are getting with your work? It looks you facilitate advertisement for companies, but what are offering for people who may eventually click on the ads?

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people actually fall for this type of advertising any more? How does the return compare to something like banner/full-screen ads on mobile apps? I just really can't imagine this working.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Do people actually fall for this type of advertising any more? How does the return compare to something like banner/full-screen ads on mobile apps? I just really can't imagine this working.
I work for a company that basically specializes in this type of advertising, and the company as a whole makes just under a million or so a year off of a couple sites we run that lists CPAs and such. It definitely works. We have thousands of people who do surveys, email submits, phone pin submits, even downloads for "points"/a few cents or a dollar or so.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it's also not dead at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone