[Tutorial] Making Custom Furniture in Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by NekoMichi, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NekoMichi
    OP

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Banner.png

Scope

This tutorial will guide you through the steps on how to create your own custom furniture items in Animal Crossing: New Leaf, by editing the textures of existing items. As specific as this is, these steps are also general guidelines for modifying textures in other games, however different games may have different directory structures so some adjustment may be necessary.

What you will need
    - Your 3DS, running Luma3DS (version 7.0 or newer) in either A9LH or B9S
    - A Windows PC (this will not work on macOS)
    - A copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf (either cartridge or eShop version will work, this supports both the initial release and the Welcome Amiibo revision)
    - The latest version of Decrypt9WIP
    - PackHack
    - Ohana3DS (original version)
    - Ohana3DS Rebirth
    - Any image editing software you're used to using

We will be using both the original version of Ohana3DS and the remake called Ohana3DS Rebirth because of each version's different functionalities (either that, or I'm not able to properly import textures in Rebirth somehow), although this may change in the future if the functions are merged. Please pay attention to which version of Ohana3DS is mentioned in each part of this tutorial.

It may also be useful to backup your save before attempting any mods. While graphical mods are generally safe and should not damage save data, it is good practice to have a backup archive for your games in case something goes wrong.

Instructions

Part 0 - Initial setup
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Part 1 - Dumping and extracting your game
    Part 2 - Editing the item data
    Part 3 - Importing the edited item into the game
    With the item imported, from now on when you play the game your edited item should be replacing the original item wherever it appears in-game. You can temporarily disable edited items by disabling game patching from Luma's config menu.

Example Items
    And there you have it - you can now make your own custom items to decorate your house with on Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Note that custom items will only appear on your own console, if someone with an unmodded console visits your village online, they will still see the original item. Feel free to post images of your own custom items here, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone can come up with! :)

Last edited by NekoMichi, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Reminds me of the DSPet era on the Wii when HDLC was created. Very clear and concise tutorial. Might just have to dust off my 3DS to take a shot at it myself.

NekoMichi likes this.
  3. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Thanks for this tutorial! I can't wait to try this out myself. Is it against the rules to ask for the file for that custom Nintendo Switch game display?

4. sks316

sks316 GBAtemp's Mewtwo™

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Cerulean Cave
    You think I could have the example items? They look cool.

5. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    It's probably not against the rules if I just post the texture file and you then inject it into a .bcres extracted from your own copy of the game. However, that specific item actually came from a separate update pack to the game and not from the main game itself, meaning that it won't work with layeredfs. You'll have to repackage the modified .bcres object into the update .cia and reinstall the package. Would you like me to post the texture file anyway?
    I can post the textures for all of the example items except for the Switch store shelf, because that comes from an update pack and not the main game, so it's not compatible with layeredfs. Would you like me to post the textures for the rest of the objects?

sks316 likes this.
  6. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Sure, go ahead. Do you think that it would work with layeredfs if I used the version of ACNL with Welcome amiibo prepackaged/pre-installed?

7. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    Is it possible to import custom 3D models as well?

8. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Presumably you can do that. I'm not sure what the romfs of the Welcome Amiibo version looks like, but it's likely to contain the file we're looking for.
    The texture file can be downloaded here, it should be inserted into romfs/Item/Model/int_gms_shelf_W.bcres
    Probably yes. You can export and import models with Ohana.

9. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    The romfs for WA is the same as normal ACNL's romfs iirc, but with some added files and maybe some added folders for the content introduced in the WA update. Thanks for the texture!

10. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Oh, forgot to mention, this will replace the Wii U Game Shelf item.
    If you don't already have that item in-game, you can spawn it with item ID 3019 using any compatible NTR plugin.

KunoichiZ likes this.
  11. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Just made an entire game shop with edited assets:

[​IMG]
    Store counter, with Breath of the Wild wall banner

[​IMG]
    Switch section, Breath of the Wild is displayed on the demo screens

[​IMG]
    3DS shelf, the titles on the shelf have been updated from their default covers, Samus Returns is displayed on the demo screen while Splatoon 2 is on the wall TV

[​IMG]
    Display case with New 2DS XL boxes

[​IMG]
    Amiibo shelf, with TV screen and boxes updated to show off the latest Amiibo from Switch games

top_0000.png
    Other platforms are welcome too, with some familiar games on display​

Last edited by NekoMichi, Aug 15, 2017
    KunoichiZ and nastys like this.
  12. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    I'm not gonna lie, that looks pretty amazing. I need a Nintendo Store in one of my houses.

sks316 and NekoMichi like this.
  13. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    I can't get the item to open in Ohana3DS (non-Rebirth). I select Open, then the int_gms_shelf_W.bcres file, then I get the error "This file is not a model file!"

14. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Does it open in Rebirth?

15. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Yes, it opens without any issues there.

16. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Are you using the old Ohana3DS linked in the original post, or another copy from elsewhere?

17. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    From the first post.

Also, my AV software is telling me that Ohana3DS is bad and keeps removing it.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Aug 13, 2017
  18. NekoMichi
    OP

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    I figured out what's wrong.
    Instead of selecting the "Open" option, drag and drop the .bcres file to the empty Ohana3DS window.

19. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Thanks, that worked.

NekoMichi likes this.
  20. NANASHI89

NANASHI89 GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2012
    United States
    SWEET! Is there a site I can go to download custom items like this? Like those sites for splash screens and home menu themes?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk