[Tutorial] Installing Luma3DS CFW (For 2DS,o3DS,N3DS - Full MenuHax+RedNAND+Autoboot Setup)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Temptress Cerise, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Hoang Tran

Newcomer Hoang Tran Member

Canada
    Just finished installing everything on a 9.0 n3ds xl and can say that nothing else needs to be updated. Maybe one day I'll go forward with A9LH :)

2. cudilo_o

Newcomer cudilo_o Member

France
    28. Navigate to hblauncher_loader.cia and press A to install.
    29. Navigate to StarUpdater.cia and press A to install.
    30. Exit with the home button.
    31. Launch the Homebrew Launcher from the home menu icon at least once to ensure the payload for the Homebrew Launcher Loader for our RedNAND is downloaded and fully functional.
    32. Reboot~! You are now done~! (I highly recommend you make NAND backups of your setup, so please consider doing the next section.)

dang, missed out on step 29, exited, launched hbl, he said that he is ok to go and i had one of the colors freeze, so i waited around 10 sec, rebooted, now it wont autoboot in luma, only if i do browser hack and go thru hbl manually , which is making last 2h of figuring it out pointless xD

some help, please?)

3. gnmmarechal

Member gnmmarechal I can't stalk anymore :(

Portugal
    Last edited by gnmmarechal, Dec 28, 2016
  4. gnmmarechal

Portugal
    Use StarUpdater-UN and the second (I believe, can't remember what I set as 1st and second) MenuHax option (boot.3dsx). Then update Luma. It should then autoboot into Luma on boot.

Sent from my cave of despair where I collect souls

5. cudilo_o

Newcomer cudilo_o Member

France
    hm, is theris particular differences between lesshax nd classical way? less hax seems to work to me :)

ha and i just figured , there was a weird ropbin 16 something in my folder, with 12288 laying just next to, probably launcher was picking up wrong one :3

THANK YOU OP FOR SUCH AMAZING GUIDE, had my black qeh1058 with 9.9 today, and withing few hours and careful reading was able to do everythin ^^

Last edited by cudilo_o, Dec 28, 2016
  6. gnmmarechal

Portugal
    I'm pretty sure lesshax just removes the debug colours. IMO, unnecessary. Debug colours are useful to find out what went wrong.

7. cudilo_o

Newcomer cudilo_o Member

France
    hm, one more question, can i copy content of my current sd card to the other one and just replace it in 3ds, or would i have to do something else? i tryed formatting the one i want to use with fat32+32kb cluster, copied everythin and it wont boot =/ old one does boot tho, but 4gb .. :D

Last edited by cudilo_o, Dec 28, 2016
  8. joeypm1

Newcomer joeypm1 Newbie

United States
    thanks so much for the post. it helped so much, and got luma3ds running. i have one problem though. i cant update software (or cartridges) and i also cant download stuff from the eshop. cias will download fine, but whenever i try to update mario maker, i get error code 005-8034 and stop at 94%. any help?

9. gnmmarechal

Portugal
    You need to transfer the EmuNAND over too.

cudilo_o likes this.
  10. jos90

Newcomer jos90 Member

Italy
    Hi guys,

First of all, thank you, it's a very nice guide, it is all detailed and well-explained. Perhaps I think I did something wrong, 'cause I'm stuck at the current phase: ~Setting up MenuHax via BrowserHax~ .
    I have selected Type 2 in the Menuhax configuration, but after I rebooted the console, both the screen, upper and bottom, are black. Even powering off and back on with the setted Key (L-trigger) to avoid Menuhax boot, it doesn't show sign of doing anything. What do you suggest me to do? Is it a brick? I have an O3DS, with 9.2.0-20E and RedNand installed (all the previous steps are already done). Thanks in advance for your attention!

EDIT: If i press once the power button, it shows me the classic "power off confirm" window, I don't know if this can help me somehow.

Last edited by jos90, Dec 29, 2016
  11. Arubaro

Member Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Spain
    Did you get to the "Luma config screen" at least once?

12. jos90

Newcomer jos90 Member

Italy
    Mhm.. No, when I completed the RedNand's tutorial, I've proceeded with unlinking the NANDs and followed the initial setup procedure to reset language, date and time etc.

EDIT: Anyway I can boot without any problems the 3ds without the SD card. Should I erase all its contents and retry to follow the guide?

Last edited by jos90, Dec 29, 2016
  13. Arubaro

Member Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Spain
    Try booting without SD, and once done, insert it and reinstall menuhax and follow the steps again like normal.
    Also, once you get to the luma config screen, I would recomend you to set up a splash image when booting emunand. I don't know why, but for me at least increased the bootrate drastically

Last edited by Arubaro, Dec 29, 2016
    jos90 likes this.
  14. jos90

Newcomer jos90 Member

Italy
    Thank you, I resetted the theme with the SD card in and that erased menuhax. So I proceeded with reinstalling menuhax, but this time, without overriding the home menu when he asked me to override: this way the installation completed succesfully! :)

Arubaro likes this.
  15. gnmmarechal

Portugal
    Temptress Cerise likes this.
  16. 2dskid

Newcomer 2dskid Newbie

Sweden
    I hope someone here can help me get pass this place in the tutorial:

~[Optional] Injecting FBI into SysNAND (For GBA//DSiWare Games)~
    We'll need FBI injected into SysNAND as well, so we can install GBA and DSiWare .cia files, so we can play them properly on RedNAND.

1. If you have followed this guide completely to this point, then you should have a short 3 second window at boot time, to load Decrypt9WIP. Do that now.
    2. Open Decrypt9 (This can sometimes take a few tries)
    3. Go to "SysNAND Options", then "Miscellaneous...", then select the "Health & Safety Dump" option to dump Health & Safety to hs.app (you can use Up and Down / Left and Right to change the name)
    4. Once done, Press B to return to the menu, then select "Health & Safety Inject"
    7. Select the FBI injectable .app for your region
    8. Press A to confirm and inject.
    13. We are now done with this part. Press Start to reboot. Read the next short part, to get an idea of how to install your GBA//DSiWare .CIA games.

What i'm on:
    Sysnand 2DS 9.2.0-20E
    Emunand 11.2.0-35E

Done exactly as the tutorial has said above and I still get a deleted icon where Health & Safety should be, also tried merging hs.app Universal Inject Generator with a .cia file and flashing it in Decrypt9, same thing, please halp before it crushes my soul :wacko: :wtf:

17. Temptress Cerise
    OP

Member Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ | Always trying to help~ <3

United States
    Sounds to me like your not booting into a patched sysnand. The continuation part of that section should explain how to do that.

18. 2dskid

Newcomer 2dskid Newbie

Sweden
    hah of course!, I had missed that the L button does two different things at different times "3. Since our Type2 menuhax config is set to not trigger when L is held and when launching Luma3DS, while holding L, tells Luma3DS to boot into "

Thank you very much, now I can continue with my life :)

19. Povka

Newcomer Povka Newbie

Lithuania
    Hey. I was using AuReiNAND before, but yesterday after an updated it was booting into black screen ,so I thought I'll change to Luma. The problem is, long time ago I deleted health and safety from sysNAND (No idea how), and now I can't really install any CIAs because I can only go to Homebrew on sysNAND.
    EDIT: I'll try again without updating emuNAND so I can use browserhax to reach homebrew from emuNAND, and install FIB from there.

20. imm0rtalz16_2006

Member imm0rtalz16_2006 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    SO Idk but health and safety is still fbi and I cant load the 2ds without a sd card in it but I can with it so exactly what steps by steps do I need to get it working right to be able to run it with out sd card as well as with