[Tutorial] Installing Devmenu

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Kayot, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I've been looking around and learning a lot in a short amount of time. Here is what I've got.

New Instructions

You'll need a Gateway and BigBlueMenu. You can find BigBlueMenu via Google. Search for BigBlueMenu.3DS-BigBlueBox and you should find it pretty easily. Inside there are a few files.

The two we need are:

BigBlueMenu.3ds
    BigBlueMenu.cia

Put BigBlueMenu.3ds onto the MicroSD card in the Gateway. Put BigBlueMenu.cia onto the SD card that goes into the 3DS.

Go to emunand. Never modify your sysnand unless you have a hardware flasher handy. (This may change when CFW comes about)

Run BigBlueMenu.3ds via Gateway and install BigBlueMenu.cia.

You can now install cia files when ever you want to.

Older Instructions

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. Shnilj

Shnilj Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Belgium
    Brugge, Belgium
    For some reason this isn't working for me. I put the .3ds on my red card en the .cia on my SD. I then boot into gateway mode (emunand) and I do see the 'Title Manager', but it does not load... Am I doing something wrong? I am running emunand 9.2.0-20.

3. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Edit : sorry, I didn't see that we couldn't ask questions here, please delete my message.

4. ChengCheng

ChengCheng Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2015
    Switzerland
    I donot know the difference between emunand and sysnand

5. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    Emunand is NAND that is on the SD card, sysnand is the NAND that exists on the system itself. You can mess up emunand and be ok by just formatting the SD card (or deleting certain files). You toast Sysnand and you lose the 3DS unless you have both a hardware flasher installed and a backup of your nand to flash to the nand.

A better example would be overlayfs. Emunand is overlayed on top of the sysnand. If sysnand is marked as readonly then it is safe and all changes happen only to the emunand. If you eject the SD card then all the titles installed in emunand disappear. The os files on the SD card just sit there until / is remounted to the sd and restarted, which locks the sysnand to readonly and only the SD card is written to. This is also why the emunand can be updated. The changes are only made to the SD card since the sysnand is ro.

The reason toasting your sysnand bricks the system is because without sysnand, you can't remap the / to the sd card. In effect, you use the sysnand as a bootloader for emunand.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

I'm not really up on hardware stuff because the people who know how to do it don't bother teaching and usually just point at something akin to advanced unified field exponential inverse collapse quantum dynamic nuclear helios particle fusion and say, "See if you read it, it makes sense."

Last edited by Kayot, Jul 14, 2015
    ChengCheng likes this.
  6. ChengCheng

ChengCheng Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2015
    Switzerland
    thank u, I am new a lot to learn

7. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    Hey, my BlueCardFix.cia file is told to be corrupt/invalid... What should I do...?

8. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    Google for another one.

9. Ruby Gloom

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    Have and flashcarttimewarp is invalid as well.

10. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I googled BigBlueMenu.3ds and it was the first listing.

11. Ruby Gloom

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    I already have BBM I need bluecardfix.cia and I can't find a legit one. I also cannot find a Devmenu.cia