[Tutorial] Installing custom themes in vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Jun 30, 2017.

1. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    in theory we can change custom themes any time after we already set up a custom theme? Or would we always need the original app file beforehand?

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I dunno if u need the original file. your python scripts may backup the original file if need be. they're very easy to read the coding of, and they're also very small anyway. however, I think it backs up only the file with the name mentioned, so u might have to add a disclaimer that it's for usa. u can tell by looking at the files if u can read any region file, 'cause I know they're different.

3. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    There's a USA and EUR script, and I don't think you can use the wrong script on the opposite region system. I'd guess the only purpose for exporting the app file is to inject a custom theme into it. Without backing up the original app file, you won't be able to inject a new theme if you changed your mind later. But since you have an original app file backed up, anyone (USA) can use that like you mentioned. I'd like to switch to the dark blue theme, but at the same time I really never use my vwii menu at all. In theory I could use your dark blue app file even since I'm Usa.

4. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    you're right! the script looks for a specific file, then injects the theme into it. the USA and EUR vWii's won't have the same files, so it will fail if u use the wrong script.

5. Feffe

Feffe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2008
    Italy
    Would it be possible with this to use Priiloader with vwii?

6. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    u can't.

7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Does this new script/method also change the Disk Channel to the Dark theme one?
    I remember the previous way I did it with changed everything but the disk channel image/animation.

8. CoinKillerL

CoinKillerL GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2016
    Italy
    Tostarena
    can you unbrick? And can i use the original dark wii theme?It's for any wii

Last edited by CoinKillerL, Aug 1, 2017
  9. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Use the themes listed in the tutorial and follow it directly without adding in your own twists and turns.

10. CoinKillerL

Jul 31, 2016
    Italy
    Tostarena
    OK i used that thene and it worked,awesome guide!

11. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    yes. it's best to backup the .app file just in case something goes wrong.

12. CoinKillerL

Jul 31, 2016
    Italy
    Tostarena
    I think it's not possible

Last edited by CoinKillerL, Aug 3, 2017
  13. CoinKillerL

Jul 31, 2016
    Italy
    Tostarena
    Last edited by CoinKillerL, Aug 3, 2017
  14. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I've noticed issues with my theme as well. I think it's the theme anyway, because both issues occur in the vWii. apparently, custom themes slowly corrupt the ios, so in my case, I have screen tilting at random when I boot up the virtual wii as well as my pro controller completely loses its pairing if I go into the virtual wii. no issues at all with the wii u side using cbhc. this slowly started to happen. screen tilting is random, but the pro controller losing its pairing always happens now. I'm going to test if it's the controller next time I boot the vWii. I'm using the blue theme by the way. no other issues aside from those two which r livable. I have a backup of the .app file to revert back if need be. u can't restore a NAND backup without a hard mode afaik, but restoring the original app via ftpiiu everywhere should suffice. it only uses one .app, so store a backup of the file.

MattKimura likes this.
  15. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    You can also use the restore script I believe so. I haven't been on my wii menu in so long, but I have noticed the theme being ugly (Using the red one). Are .app files console specific or just region specific? I don't have a backup of my own haha

16. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    it's region-specific. I have a backup, but only the usa version. I just tested another controller, and it seems to work, so the pro controller issue may be with the controller. the screen tilting issue doesn't happen very often. I'm also using a new tv if that's making a difference.

Last edited by godreborn, Aug 25, 2017
    MattKimura likes this.
  17. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm going to check my other controller as per the controller issue after a longer period of time. neither issue started this way, so it progressed. it may be like the fakeanim on the 360. I used to have a friend who fixed 360s, and he told me that fakeanim corrupted not only his but several customers systems. I'm still using it, so it didn't corrupt mine after like five years or so of using it. it may be the theme or the system itself that matters in this case. I'm assuming ios 80 is being slowly corrupted. however, the ios isn't named the same as the one outlined with the neek tutorial, so I don't really know. the usa app name is 0000001f.app . that's the file the theme is applied to. u can find the location by looking in the python script.

18. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I tried the other controller this morning after having left the wii u off over night. my first test, however, was trying to turn on the wii u with the pro controller immediately after turning the system off with the wiimote. in that test, the wii u turned on like normal. however, leaving the system off over night - the connection to the pro controller was lost.