Tutorial  Updated

install A9LH in 20 minutes o3ds o3dsxl and 2ds only

do not attempt any of this on a new 3ds or n3dsxl you will brick
please do not use the guide right now i will be updating it shortly

if you do feel like you need to before i update please use a different order, downgrade to 9.2 first then backup the nand before downgrading to 2.1 that way you can restore the 9.2 nand from 2.1 if you need to.
this is not the safe way to install A9LH just the fastest way
Requirements:

o3ds, 3ds xl or 2ds
cubic ninja or ocarina of time with 10.7 payload installed
for 10.8 not to be out yet (i will try to update the guide when that happens)
yes this guide is very poorly written and a lot less safe than other guides
only do this if you either A. have a hardmod B. don't really care about your 3ds C. really know what you're doing

optional but a really good idea to back up all the files off your sd card to your pc then delete everything off the sd card before starting do not format though and if it has emunand just leave it there untouched
1. from AuReiNand arm9loaderhax.bin and the rei folder goes in the root of your sd card, in the rei folder make a new folder named payloads and a blank text file without the .txt fileextension called updatedsysnand you also need the FIRMS take the firmware.bin from the rei-o3ds folder and put it in your rei folder on the sd card.
2. from OTPHelper put the arm9.bin, arm11.bin and OTPHelper.bin files on the root of your sd card
3. from Decrypt9WIP make a new folder on the root of your sd card named 3ds and put the Decrypt9WIP folder in that, then put the Decrypt9WIP.bin file in the payloads folder that is in the rei folder and rename Decrypt9WIP.bin to default.bin
3. from sysupdater in the 3ds folder make a new folder called sysUpdater and put the .3dsx and .smdh files there
4. from smealum put the homebrew launcher that's the boot.3dsx on the root or your sd card
5. from the 9.2 downgrade put the updates folder on the root of your sd card and rename it to update9
6. from the 2.1 downgrade put the updates folder on the root of your sd card
first off everytime i tell you to take out and put in the sd card is important if you leave it in the whole time it will slow the process down by a few minutes. always take it out when i say take it out and don't put it back til i say put it back.

1. make sure you are connected to the internet and update to 10.7 using system update in system settings (do not do this if you are reading this at a time when fw10.8 has come out)

2. start cubic ninja or ocarina of time and the homebrew launcher

3. run sysupdater and press y to downgrade when it gets to press b to restart eject the sd card then press b

4. you are now on 2.1 open the internet browser then and open the url type http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin reinsert the sd card before pushing confiirm

5. dump the otp and otp108 then verify both then press select to unmount sd and eject the sd then press start to reboot

6. update to 10.6 with system settings while the 3ds is updating put the sd card in your computer, delete the updates folder and rename the update9 folder to updates and go to https://felipejfc.com/a9lh on your pc drag the otp.bin from your sd card onto the page and make a new folder in the 3ds folder named arm9loaderhax put the .3dsx file the site gives you into the new folder. Also Backup your otp.bin somewhere safe

7. your 3ds is now back on 10.6 start cubic ninja or ocarina of time again then reinsert your sd card, now load the homebrew launcher and start sysupdater press y to downgrade when it says press b to restart eject your sd card before pushing b

8. you are now on 9.2 open the web browser and type http://yls8.mtheall.com/sliderhax.php put the sd card back in before pressing confirm

9. if you have hacked this 3ds before and already backed up your nand skip this step if it is a fresh unhacked 3ds or you do not have a nand backup this is a really good time to backup your nand open decrypt9WIP and backup your nand after you have a backup press select to unmount sd card then start to reboot, put the sd card in your pc and backup the nand.bin to your pc and delete it from the sd card open your web browser back up and and type http://yls8.mtheall.com/sliderhax.php again put the sd card back in before pressing confirm.

10. run arm9loaderhax in the homebrew launcher your 3ds will reboot with A9LH installed but look exactly the same, power it off and hold L+R when you power it back up to verify everything worked.

11. that's everything it's probably been about 17-19 minutes since you started unless you stopped to backup your nand in which case it's been about 30-35
1.you can now delete all the files and folders off your sd card except arm9loaderhax.bin and the rei folder
2.if you had a preexisting emunand you want to continue using just delete the updatedsysnand file from the rei folder otherwise you are good to go; or if you want to inject your old emunand into sysnand hold L+R on boot dump CTRNAND partition from emunand and inject it into sysnand.
3. put all your old files back on your sd card unless you never deleted them in the first place, you can delete everything related to rxtools if you were using that before.
the following step is only if you were coming from a fresh unhacked 3ds
4. on your 3ds go to system settings and update to 10.6 then turn off your 3ds hold L+R when you push power to go to decrypt9WIP, go to sysnand options dump health and safety then press select to unmount sd put it in your computer download https://github.com/d0k3/Universal-Inject-Generator/archive/master.zip and extract it to your pc in the input folder put the hs.app file from your sd card and FBI.cia from https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases now run go.bat take the output file either with or without banner your choice and rename it hs.app put it on your sd card where you got the old hs.app. put the sd card back in your 3ds and inject health and safety this time.
if you have a gamecard with a 9.3 through 10.7 update you can use that card and oot or cubic ninja with that updates payload instead of updating through system settings in both steps 1 and 6 it will save about 7 minutes
if you have a gamecard with a 9.2 update you can do the same as above but also skip step 7

if you do not have access to oothax or cubic ninja but do have access to browser hax you can downgrade to 9.2 first backup your nand there using decrypt9WIP and restore it with OTPHelper instead of upgrading with system settings, this will let you skip step 7 and only take ten extra minutes if you were planning on backing up nand anyways or twenty extra minutes if you were not, if you already have a 9.2 backup you can just restore that instead saving yourself the ten extra minutes.
i have tested this on 4 3ds's one 9.0 o3ds, one 10.7 o3ds xl, one 10.6 2ds and one japanese 4.2 o3ds
i did not format any of them or their sd cards first they were all used to various extents, 2 were previously hacked 2 were not, one of them had many legitimate eshop purchases and two had a game preinstalled nothing seemed to harm the process and nothing was lost in the process
i did try everything including browserhax, ninjhax, oothax, updating via system settings, updating via gamecard, and not updating at all just backup and restore through otphelper on the 9.0 model, and on the japanese one injecting a region changed emunand into sysnand.
none of my test 3ds's were hardmodded and i did not even make nand backups on two of them
the OTP guide is Plailect's work all i did was cut out all the parts that took too long or seemed unnecessarily safe because they used emunand instead of sysnand
almost all tools used were made by d0k3
so you can thank them and everyone who has helped them if it works or you can thank me if you brick
The entire point of the EmuNAND downgrading is for safety with non-hardmodded consoles. If you try this one without a hardmodded console and fail, you have a fairly decent chance of getting a 10.7 -> 2.1 partial downgrade which you may NOT be able to recover from. Saving a small amount of time at the risk of a multiple $100 device is NOT worth it, and this is a terrible idea. Unless you have a hardmodded console, you should follow this instead.

Last edited by jefffisher,

jefffisher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm going to redo the entire guide tomorrow to still use sysnand but to be easier and safer
o3DS, ok then, I will put my balls in hand and will proceed.

Only, God of Stability will help us.

UPD: Well, I get system error window, ejected SD card and restarted, and somehow Im in 2.1. Phew...
you were supposed to use the specific version of sysupdater linked safesysupdater is only for downgrading to 9.2

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had some strange issues on my 3DS XL that I did not run into with my 3DS that I mentioned earlier. I had "an error occurred" on the downgrade to 2.1 and it did a partial downgrade. everything worked except for dumping the OTP as the browser would crash. I upgraded to 4.5 to attempt to fix the partial downgrade and it allowed me to load pastaCFW but the CIA for SysUpdater installed but would sit on a black screen preventing me from downgrading.

I had to update to 10.7 via system settings, downgrade to 2.1 (this time it worked) then I was able to grab the OTP just fine. I upgraded to 4.5 and still could not get SysUpdater CIA to run via PastaCFW to do the upgrade to 9.2 (it ran in Gateway Sysnand Mode but I know better than to downgrade using that).

I ended up having to update to 10.7 then downgrade to 9.2 (which worked, which was nice) then I was able to install AL9H and it runs fine now.

This was fun, Now for the real fun, downgrading my Majora's Mask N3DS XL to 2.1 to get the OTP (using the proper guide for a N3DS, not this guide of course).

Roman Richter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
you are not supposed to be able to, the only program that works on 2.1 is otp helper, you can either restore a 9.2 nand backup. or upgrade with a gamecard or with settings then downgrade back down to 9.2

so all this file manipulation to run OTP? I thought it will launch hbl and then I need launch otp from there, but browser freezes... anyway only option is redowngrade now?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so all this file manipulation to run OTP? I thought it will launch hbl and then I need launch otp from there, but browser freezes... anyway only option is redowngrade now?
yep, all of this is to get the OTP, then you can upgrade to 9.2 (this guide upgrades from 2.1 to 10.7 then SysUpdater downgrade to 9.2) after all this, you can install AL9H by following the guide by using the cloud AL9H website and your dumped OTP to create the AL9H installer that you then run via the Homebrew Launcher while on SysNAND 9.2.

Roman Richter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
yep, all of this is to get the OTP, then you can upgrade to 9.2 (this guide upgrades from 2.1 to 10.7 then SysUpdater downgrade to 9.2) after all this, you can install AL9H by following the guide by using the cloud AL9H website and your dumped OTP to create the AL9H installer that you then run via the Homebrew Launcher while on SysNAND 9.2.

but what to do with browser freezing? Just redowngrade and try again?

Last edited by Roman Richter,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but what to do with browser freezing?

I had this happen with my 3DS XL (read my post #43 for more info on what happened) and had to update to 10.7 via system settings then do the downgrade again. This should fix your freezing problem assuming you followed the guide correctly
this time, the browser will not freeze but will load up OTPhelper to dump the OTP after a short amount of time.

jefffisher

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but what to do with browser freezing? Just redowngrade and try again?
if you are on 2.1 browser should not freeze, yes if it is really broken just redowngrade and try again.
but first double check that all the right files from otp helper are on the root of your sd card and that you are typing the url correctly.

Roman Richter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
if you are on 2.1 browser should not freeze, yes if it is really broken just redowngrade and try again.
but first double check that all the right files from otp helper are on the root of your sd card and that you are typing the url correctly.
Ok then, redowngrading again.

Upd: Now Its worked =D, dumped otp's.bin

Upd: A9LH installed and working, now I can proceed with Plailect's guide to install Aureinand?

Last edited by Roman Richter,
Reactions: LuigiXL

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi again, I want to use a bigger SD card than my existing one, I have nothing installed (I am on A9LH) and no need to backup my system, should I just copy and paste the contents to the bigger card? Thanks

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say i wanted to do this using a o3dsxl. In my case i have both a 4.2 sysnand backup and a 9.2 sysnand backup from when i was on 9.2. Could i just downgrade to 2.1 sysnand from 4.2 sysnand to get the OTP.bin then restore my o3dsxl to 9.2 using the nand backup that i have to skip updating to 10.7?

Wanted to know this since i have not seen anything about downgrading 4.2 to 2.1.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say i wanted to do this using a o3dsxl. In my case i have both a 4.2 sysnand backup and a 9.2 sysnand backup from when i was on 9.2. Could i just downgrade to 2.1 sysnand from 4.2 sysnand to get the OTP.bin then restore my o3dsxl to 9.2 using the nand backup that i have to skip updating to 10.7?

Wanted to know this since i have not seen anything about downgrading 4.2 to 2.1.

Just downgrade from 9.2 as it is a lot easier to downgrade using homebrew launcher and sysupdater than trying to mess with MSET and CFW to launch sysupdater.

Reactions: cvskid

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i am also getting a freeze when i try to run otphelper on 2.1...
do i really have to upgrade and re-downgrade to fix this?
i tried another sd card, i'll keep trying and find another sd card too

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am also getting a freeze when i try to run otphelper on 2.1...
do i really have to upgrade and re-downgrade to fix this?
i tried another sd card, i'll keep trying and find another sd card too

yep, I had this exact issue and it is in fact related to a partial 2.1 downgrade.
EDIT: A few more tries will not hurt, if it is a partial 2.1, it will not matter but if for some reason your SD Card is whack for some reason, a different SD Card may make it work.

Last edited by driverdis,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yep, I had this exact issue and it is in fact related to a partial 2.1 downgrade.
EDIT: A few more tries will not hurt, if it is a partial 2.1, it will not matter but if for some reason your SD Card is whack for some reason, a different SD Card may make it work.
ok so what would be a good way to get back to a higher fw so i can redowngrade? :)
thanks

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so what would be a good way to get back to a higher fw so i can redowngrade? :)
thanks

If you on a 2DS/O3DS/O3DS XL, I would recommend a 4.x cart to get into a 4.x firmware then try MSET hax to load a 4.x CFW then use a CIA of plaisysUpdater to get to 2.1.

if you have Cubic Ninja, Ninjhax 1.1 will not work on 4.x as the browser is too old as the cart update has no browser update.

if MSEThax or Ninjhax does not work, then update to 4.x cia cart then use safe mode to jump to 10.7 then do both downgrades again. If there was a 9.0-9.2 cart, I would have you use one of those but unfortunately none exist.

If you have no 4.x cart, any cart below 9.x should work then use Safe Mode to jump to 10.7

EDIT: Fixed infomation about Ninjhax 1.1 with 4.x via cart update from 2.1
EDIT 2: Someone mentioned being able to use System Settings to jump to 10.7 without needing a cart. I have not tested this and have no idea if a partial 2.1 will cause an error during the update.

Last edited by driverdis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?