[Tutorial] install A9LH in 20 minutes o3ds o3dsxl and 2ds only

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by jefffisher, Mar 17, 2016.

1. jefffisher
    OP

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    do not attempt any of this on a new 3ds or n3dsxl you will brick
    please do not use the guide right now i will be updating it shortly

if you do feel like you need to before i update please use a different order, downgrade to 9.2 first then backup the nand before downgrading to 2.1 that way you can restore the 9.2 nand from 2.1 if you need to.
    this is not the safe way to install A9LH just the fastest way
    Requirements:

o3ds, 3ds xl or 2ds
    cubic ninja or ocarina of time with 10.7 payload installed
    for 10.8 not to be out yet (i will try to update the guide when that happens)
    yes this guide is very poorly written and a lot less safe than other guides
    only do this if you either A. have a hardmod B. don't really care about your 3ds C. really know what you're doing

what files to put where
    getting the otp and installing A9LH
    clean up
    alternatives and options
    notes & questions
    credits

Last edited by jefffisher, Mar 23, 2016
  2. FenrirWolf

FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2008
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    Out of curiosity, what's the point of going to 10.7 first instead of downgrading to 2.1 from your current firmware?

3. Minnow

Minnow GBAtemp Fan

Oct 5, 2015
    Canada
    Afaik, there isn't a reason. The stability of SysUpdater will be the same. You shouldn't have to do it.

4. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    there is no point other than keep the instructions simple and if you only had one copy of oot you wouldn't have to change the payload.
    say you were starting from 10.4 and had to borrow oot from someone and didn't have access to a second ds to change the payload.
    also starting from any firmware instead of just 9.0+
    that part can be skipped if you are in a situation where you can skip it.

FenrirWolf likes this.
  5. Plailect

Plailect GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    The entire point of the EmuNAND downgrading is for safety with non-hardmodded consoles. If you try this one without a hardmodded console and fail, you have a fairly decent chance of getting a 10.7 -> 2.1 partial downgrade which you may NOT be able to recover from. Saving a small amount of time at the risk of a multiple $100 device is NOT worth it, and this is a terrible idea. Unless you have a hardmodded console, you should follow this instead.

6. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i edited the first post for you.
    is there any particular reason why downgrading from 10.7 to 2.1 would be so much more dangerous than downgrading from 9.3+ to 9.2?
    as far as i know a softbrick should be recoverable via recovery menu and a frankenfirm should be fixed when you upgrade back to 9.2+ anyways.
    and since this is for o3ds only if you somehow end up without a browser you can just update with a gamecard.
    i have only done four this way so far but have not gotten a brick of any sort yet, i have three more o3ds's i can try this weekend if i run into any trouble i'll take the guide down.
    doing it this way saves over an hour and since you can't really tell if the emunand is safe until you flash it anyways i don't see the harm.
    you certainly know a whole lot more than i do but so explanation would be nice, and i probably wont find out on my own until it's too late.

7. Plailect

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    You know EmuNAND is probably safe if SysUpdater doesn't throw any errors, and if it does you just restore EmuNAND backup and try again. With this method you just have to hope it works first try or you'll be left with a console that can (probably?) restore via cart upgrade because browser *probably* won't work.

8. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    i would agree with you if we were talking about the n3ds that sysupdater just seems to randomly fail on, or if cart updates couldn't get you out of a jam.
    but sysupdater is exceedingly reliable on o3ds and if you're starting with 9.3 or greater you're going to have to downgrade anyways so it doesn't seem to add any extra risk.
    even if something did happen it's probably going to be recoverable, seems to be worth the small risk for a much quicker and easier route, with less room for mistakes too fewer files to keep track of and fewer steps to mess up on.
    if someone does hardbrick from this it's almost certainly going to be from installing the wrong region updates and that could just as easily happen downgrading to 9.2 or when flashing 2.1 emunand.
    i don't mean to question you of all people about this but the emunand method just seems needlessly overcautious and to waste a lot of time.

9. ZackGuillotines

ZackGuillotines Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    this might be a dumb questiom, but where can I find the US region downgrade packs?

10. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    That iso site.

Also, yeah. This is what I essentially did on a friend's o3DS (couldn't be bothered setting up an emuNAND). Everything worked out great, only different thing I did was restore from a 9.2 NAND backup, as I don't own OOT or Cubic Ninja. So that probably added a few minutes. (And downgrading on 10.4+ didn't exist at the time, so.)

11. ZackGuillotines

ZackGuillotines Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    i'm about to sound even more ignorant.. but what iso site?

12. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    they're actually easier to find on Plailect's guide just didn't think he'd approve of me linking here since he doesn't like this method.

13. ZackGuillotines

ZackGuillotines Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2016
    United States
    alright, I'll find it myself, i'm super new to 3ds modding but just going to try it on a second one that i own / never use so it doesn't matter if I brick, I'll report back on if a complete noob to the scene can make this method work

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

can I do this with just ocarina of time, or will I need power saves?

14. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    If you don't already have OOTHax already installed, then yes, you're going to need a power save, or another 3DS that already have homebrew access.

15. Zan'

Zan' 2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F

Oct 8, 2015
    Throwing in a question.
    I have an o3DS with a9lh. Therefore I already have a 2-1-0_Nand.bin. (2.1 NAND Backup). Can I inject this into my emuNAND on the o3DS and use the "unbricker" to make it ready for n3DS and dump it.
    And then restore this n3DS ready 2.1 NAND backup to my n3DS NAND to get otp?
    Asking because. I can be fairly certain my 2.1 NAND is good (since I know it worked on o3DS) and skipping the part where I have to set up emuNAND and downgrade that.

16. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    absolutely not nand dumps and otp's are console specific you have to do every step on every console do not share any files between consoles.

Zan' and astronautlevel like this.
  17. Plailect

Jan 30, 2016
    United States
    That would produce an excellent paperweight.

Zan' and Supster131 like this.
  18. Zan'

Zan' 2F88744FEED717856386400A44BBA4B9CA62E76A32C715D4F

Oct 8, 2015
    I knew the OTP was. Thanks for confirming it wouldn't work. Because that's what I thought.
    Appreciate the help.

I really like good quality paperweights. Can never have enough.

19. jefffisher
    OP

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    @Plailect it turns out i was wrong about a brick being recoverable however a brick is still unlikely.
    in addition to the first 4 ds's mentioned in the first post, i was able to do 3 more this way. after those were finished i went out and bought a brand new
    2ds downgraded it to 2.1 straight away, upgraded to 10.7 downgraded to 2.1 again, upgraded to 10.7 downgraded to 9.2 downgraded to 2.1, upgraded to 9.2 downgraded to 2.1
    upgraded to 10.3 downgraded to 2.1 upgraded to 9.2 then 10.7 then downgraded to 2.1, upgraded to 10.3 then 10.7 then downgraded to 9.2 then 2.1
    then i downgraded to 2.1 and updated to 10.3 20 more times.
    i validated otp every single time and checked my downgraded sysnand about every 3 times throughout the process each time was flawless.
    that's a total of 34 working sysnand downgrades and 0 bricks that's at least a %95 success rate.
    then to force a brick to see if it was recoverable i pulled out the battery during the downgrade process it was in the middle of 0004013000002902.cia i did end up with an unrecoverable hard brick.

20. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    I just attempted this and got through it until I ran arm9loaderhax in HBL.. it appeared to exploit but now im stuck at black screens with out without the SD inserted.. Any ideas?